Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which hat on a trip to Egypt?

johnnyb

New in Town
I am goining on a trip to Egypt this summer ( even for Egypt the HOT period). Now I'm looking for a hat.
I really like the barmah style hats like the foldaway. (Yes it has to be packable/cruncheble). For what I've read the leather hats are too sweaty for this occasion. I'm thinking of getting a Tilley T3 but are are any other options for me in the aussie style? Recemondations please.
Thnx.

Lt. Bob

New in Town
I think in Egypt you're going to want a hat with a mesh top, maybe like a Tilley LTM8. Egypt is going to be so rediculously hot that anything on your head is going to feel hot eventually. You might also consider some form of a panama, rain generally isn't a problem in Egypt. :)

I can't say enough good things about a Tilley LTM3 for a journey like this. You can stow it flat in your bag, and wear it on the hottest day without fear of ruining it from sweat or dirt. Light, breathable and machine washable.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I can't say enough good things about a Tilley LTM3 for a journey like this. You can stow it flat in your bag, and wear it on the hottest day without fear of ruining it from sweat or dirt. Light, breathable and machine washable.

Did you note the write up to the top left of the page in question? It's a testimonial about using the hat in Egypt.

The page refreshes with a different customer comment each time. But I did just see that one.

It is always stowed flat in my bag on any trip I make. If it's pouring rain or blazing hot or crazy windy (I keep the chinstrap stowed in the pouch in the crown) it's hard to beat. Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but it's really that good.

With brim snapped up:

tilley.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The page refreshes with a different customer comment each time.

I didn't know that. Here's a copy and paste (since it's on point and may be hard to find again). If attaching this quote from the Tilley website violates Lounge policy, I'm sure our admin can remove it.

“I recently returned from a tour of Egypt. During my vacation, I couldn’t help but notice that many of the tourists also had Tilley Hats. After counting more than twenty, I gave up. It kept my head cool and protected from the hot Egyptian sun. I was fully satisfied with your product and will recommend it to everyone.”

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
I am goining on a trip to Egypt this summer ( even for Egypt the HOT period). Now I'm looking for a hat.
I really like the barmah style hats like the foldaway. (Yes it has to be packable/cruncheble). For what I've read the leather hats are too sweaty for this occasion. I'm thinking of getting a Tilley T3 but are are any other options for me in the aussie style? Recemondations please.
Thnx.

When I went to Egypt I wore an optimo rollable panama - it was perfect in the heat. Mine's the Christys one. but you might find a more affordable one.

FMG1991

New in Town
I've lived for four years in Cairo and I have to say: Summers in Egypt are terribly hot.
It depends on where you are going. Are you staying in Cairo? I started wearing hats after I moved back to Europe so I don't have any experience!
But I'd definitely get a "white" hat. Anything dark would be just too hot.

If you need tips for your trip just send me a message... ;)

Enjoy Egypt, it's a wonderful country!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
btw. Like I mentioned in my first post I really like the aussie look of the barmah with the curvings of the brim and the low crown.
Barmah's are nice, too, and you can even get the rollable ones that keep their shape during the time it's packed in a carry-on. Just don't ruin yours by storing it rolled up. Eventually they don't spring back if you do that. I wish I hadn't ruined mine. It was a very nice travel hat for hot climates.

Duper

Practically Family
Tilley LTM5. Travels well, washes easliy. Sun,rain, wind it handles it them all. And the best reason of all, if a camel eats your hat it will be replaced for free!

masiaka

Familiar Face
I can't recommend any specific hat, but I can recommend that you don't buy a with a mesh crown. The Tilley hats mentioned here are fine, but a lesser quality hat with large areas of mesh paneling will let you get sunburned despite covering your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff