Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which "Indy" should I choose?

K

Kaosharper1

AB discount

fletch31 said:
Where are you guys getting over $400 for an american AB? They are listed as $350 on his website plus $10 for shipping and COW members get them for $235 shipping included. This will be the case until May 22nd when the new film comes out. After that the COW discount goes away and it will only then apply to previous customers. That is why I suggested earlier ordering before the new movie comes out. Last word from Steve when he left here was that he was still offering the COW discount to Fedora Lounge members as well. The man has the best block for the Raiders look and he and Marc's samples were good enough to get them the contract for the 4th movie. That fact is one of the best testimonials out there when speaking about Indiana Jones hats. He's got the IJ hat locked down tight and has and only will be raising his prices to slow his orders down as he makes them by hand. The hat is totally worth it considering what you are getting.
Fletch

Can I ask how we go about getting this discount? Also, does anyone know how much he requires down to hold a hat?

warbird

One Too Many
Kaosharper1 said:
Can I ask how we go about getting this discount? Also, does anyone know how much he requires down to hold a hat?

I imagine you just call him. As to your second question, it seems full payment will do nicely to hold an order on a hat.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Yeah I would try calling him and you might be able to catch him. I've sent him a couple emails over the course of several months and never got a reply to any of them. [huh]

fletch31

Familiar Face
Steve(Fedora) does do layaway though I dont know how much he requires. I am 100% sure the COW discount is in effect for old time COW members. The fedora lounge discount was the same as the COW discount at time that Fedora stopped posting here. After that, he did pass on the message through Sharpetoys that he would honor the discount for lounge members as well. However it was a year and a half ago when the fedora lounge discount was last affirmed to my knowledge. Steve's margins are quite tight at his discounted price if you consider the time he puts into his hats over raw materials. I think the spirit of what he wants to do is provide a discount to those who have supported him through these forums and are indy fans the same as he is. If you think you qualify, just give him a call.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Word of advice: Steve is very particular about who gets that discount. If he sees you join up to COW and then ask him the next day for a new AB with the fat discount, he'll probably say a flat "no". He doesn't like freeloaders, or people who take advantage of his generosity. I ordered my first AB in mid-Sept 07, and payed regular price for it ($260 with shipping) after being a member of COW for a little over a month and conversing with him several times. Course, I didn't know about the discount until around Christmas time, but didn't want to bother Steve with that kind of thing simply out of respect for the man. I think, in Steve's mind, the idea was that if you'd been around COW long enough to find the original post then you'd been around long enough to be considered deserving of the discount in Steve's eyes. As Fletch said, he's doing his customers a heck of a service with his business, bringing us the opportunity to purchase a hat like that for that price. Best not to take advantage of it unless you've been over there a while, I think. Just my opinion...

Regards, Andy

fletch31

Familiar Face
I agree completely with you airforceindy. I cant speak for who qualifies or not. I was in error if I alluded to anything of the sort. I probably said too much along those lines. I'll see if I can edit my posts to make the spirit of what Steve is doing more clear.

mourazav

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I've just ordered my first fedora, an Akubra Federation Deluxe. Luckily they had it in my size.
Again, thank you for all your help and when I get it, I'll post pictures.
Thanks again!

mourazav

New in Town
Just got an email from Hatsdirect.com. They say the Federation Deluxe IV will be available early to mid April. Dang, I was planning on wearing it in Florida two weeks from now. Oh well, patience is a virtue.

fletch31

Familiar Face
It will be worth it. The crown has been lowered and the block is a pre WWII block that is more authentic than the previous Federation offering. Good choice!

Feraud

Bartender
fletch31 said:
It will be worth it. The crown has been lowered and the block is a pre WWII block that is more authentic than the previous Federation offering. Good choice!

I was under the assumption the less than vintage styling about the Fed was the dimensional cut brim.
What is the issue with the old block? Is a lower crown more stereotypical pre-WWII than a higher one? I thought it was the other way around..

fletch31

Familiar Face
It is true that the IJ raiders was a straight sided, high crowned hat relative to the fedoras of the 50's and 60's but the height was not as extreme as some believed back when the Fed was first created. Indy's hat was blocked at 5 1/2 inches open crown height with a straight sided, high breaking relatively low crown radius, ideal for center dents. In the past, it was a common tendency to overly characterize the indy hat and the federation was initially designed with the help of some old timers from the COW board several years ago. The feds were usually blocked too tall at 6 inches open crown though some people did get a more authentic crown height depending on the size they ordered. It seemed to be a crap shoot to not get a 6 inch crown though. It was just too tall for most people in my opinion though some did like it. The Akubra blocks they are using now with the refined design are Pre WWII 5 5/8ths open crown height wood blocks. Close enough. It has the straight sides and a good dome radius from the examples I have seen online. My understanding is Steve Delk consulted with them regarding the particulars though he did not provide them his block. They found vintage blocks in their warehouse that fit the bill based on Steve's input and perhaps other well respected moderators from the COW boards. Its a slight reduction in height but it really does make a big difference in appearance. I look like a complete indy sped with a 6 inch crown. Way too tall on me. This is the 4th revision the Fed has gone through in refinement. Akubra has always been willing to accommodate us Indy fans and this new offering will be an excellent choice for someone wanting a rugged rabbit felt hat in a sharp indy style.

It was quite remarkable for Steve to contribute his input to help them out because he is working on a factory produced version of his own as well and he recognizes the Akubra will take away from his sales. His hat will be a beaver blend however and made off of his block if he is able to get it all to fly.
Some holdup on the ribbon as I recall. Steve is just that kind of good guy and he respects Akubra's quality as a rabbit hat. He has done a tremendous service to the Indy community over the years with his free reblocks on his customized raiders blocks that he provided for the community for a couple years (no longer reblocking non-AB's as I understand) to offering a 100% beaver hat on the most accurate block around in the raiders style for an initial steal of a price, to offering very helpful information and input publicly and privately to other hobbyists and even making his initial bread and butter block available to anyone that wants to order it from his block maker, to this Akubra assistance... The man is a saint in my book and his offerings have been top notch. Great guy.

Feraud

Bartender
Ah I see...it is not a more vintage styled hat but an Indy hat with better proportions for the regular guy.
I have seen too many Indy influenced hats that are caricatures with lumps and bumps protruding from the crown.
Thanks for the explanation.

citRon

A-List Customer
Fatdutchman said:
I tried a Fed Deluxe one time. The one that they sent me was absolutely the same color as a standard I had. Dark Brownish gray. Others report that the Deluxe is more of a real brown. It would seem that your results may vary.

:eusa_clap I'm NOT crazy! I'm not crazy!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy