Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which looks better -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?

Which looks better -- a Stetson Open Road or an Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash?

• The Stetson Open Road

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • The Akubra Campdraft with a Cattlemen's Bash

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Something else (please elucidate)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • A Vintage Stetson Open Road

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • The Peters Bros. Shady Oaks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My vote's for a vintage OR over the Campdraft, but not in a Cattleman's crease, though. I have a '50s era OR that has the same dimensions as the Campdraft, but the finish is far better. The finish on the Akubras are too scratchy in comparison. I have a couple of the later versions of the OR and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on them. Junk, IMO. I don't know about the new Royal Stetson OR, though. Akubra, along with a few other hat companies were licensed at one time to make ORs for Stetson. Akubra seems to have preserved the dimensions of the earlier vintage Open Roads. 5 3/4 inches Open Crown height and a 2 3/4 brim width, although the brim widths varied on the ORs. The only down side to finding a nice early vintage OR is the cost. A lot of ebay sellers can ask some ridiculously high money for them. Every now and then you may run across a seller who doesn't know what they have and you can pick up some nice stuff pretty cheap if no one else catches it. So, the big $$$ you would shell out for a nice vintage OR makes the Campdraft a more attractive option, and if you're fairly handy you can pounce it a bit to get a little smoother finish on the felt. But, an early vintage OR for me...

'50s era Open Road. 5 3/4 open crown height and a 2 3/4 brim width. I popped out the original Cattleman crease and reblocked it. I recreased it to a C crown and reflanged the OR brim to a fedora style on a brim flange. It's creased to 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches at the back...

Open_Road_and_Buffy.jpg

x_Open_Road_RC.jpg

...and it looks nice on Star Trek too

A_Spock_and_Kirk_and_me_2.jpg

"I don't like that surfin' shit. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died." John Milner, American Graffitti

Last edited:

RJR

My vote's for a vintage OR over the Campdraft, but not in a Cattleman's crease, though. I have a '50s era OR that has the same dimensions as the Campdraft, but the finish is far better. The finish on the Akubras are too scratchy in comparison. I have a couple of the later versions of the OR and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on them. Junk, IMO. I don't know about the new Royal Stetson OR, though. Akubra, along with a few other hat companies were licensed at one time to make ORs for Stetson. Akubra seems to have preserved the dimensions of the earlier vintage Open Roads. 5 3/4 inches Open Crown height and a 2 3/4 brim width, although the brim widths varied on the ORs. The only down side to finding a nice early vintage OR is the cost. A lot of ebay sellers can ask some ridiculously high money for them. Every now and then you may run across a seller who doesn't know what they have and you can pick up some nice stuff pretty cheap if no one else catches it. So, the big $$$ you would shell out for a nice vintage OR makes the Campdraft a more attractive option, and if you're fairly handy you can pounce it a bit to get a little smoother finish on the felt. But, an early vintage OR for me...

'50s era Open Road. 5 3/4 open crown height and a 2 3/4 brim width. I popped out the original Cattleman crease and reblocked it. I recreased it to a C crown and reflanged the OR brim to a fedora style on a brim flange. It's creased to 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches at the back...

Open_Road_and_Buffy.jpg

x_Open_Road_RC.jpg

...and it looks nice on Star Trek too

A_Spock_and_Kirk_and_me_2.jpg

"I don't like that surfin' shit. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died." John Milner, American Graffitti
Recrease/blocking looks good,nice job.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'll be the first to admit the cattleman's crease looks odd from in front, unless the side dents are fairly shallow like Atticus's above. The hat comes off sort of conelike. But then, when you turn sideways, that squarish profile indeed makes you look like "the guy who owns the ranch."

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
One of the many good things about the Camp Draft is that it comes with an open crown. One can block it as he wishes and it looks great creased or blocked as a fedora. Not so, the modern Stetson. I've never seen a modern Open Road successfully re-blocked as a fedora.

AF

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Just for reference, this is a a Heritage Camp Draft...blocked by Optimo.

AF
I like that a lot, though I'm not sure if a brim-up configuration would look good on me. I usually wear my ORs or clones with the front brim snapped down in fedora style. A CD in Taupe Fawn, but creased like that, would be sharp.

One of the many good things about the Camp Draft is that it comes with an open crown. One can block it as he wishes and it looks great creased or blocked as a fedora. Not so, the modern Stetson. I've never seen a modern Open Road successfully re-blocked as a fedora.

AF
I took a Road Master, which is same dimensions as an Modern OR except in natural beaver color as opposed to silverbelly, & put it in open crown then to a tear drop.
There just wasn't enough crown like a CD. I think the thread is still around...

RJR

I took a Road Master, which is same dimensions as an Modern OR except in natural beaver color as opposed to silverbelly, & put it in open crown then to a tear drop.
There just wasn't enough crown like a CD. I think the thread is still around...

Looks really good with that crease.

g.durand

One Too Many
I'll be the first to admit the cattleman's crease looks odd from in front, unless the side dents are fairly shallow like Atticus's above. The hat comes off sort of conelike. But then, when you turn sideways, that squarish profile indeed makes you look like "the guy who owns the ranch."

Agreed, Benz. I haven't been able to get any of my CDs to look good with a full cattleman's crease. The only way to do it may be Atticus Finch's Optimo option.

I've been able to take away some of the cone-like look from the front and still get the full "owns-the-ranch" side profile by doing what I call a modified cattleman's, with a center dent and by moving the side pinches slightly forward.

Here is my Stetson 100 shaped that way.
IMG_7217_zpsjm1xtzzy.jpg
IMG_7215_zpsccsix51c.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Agreed, Benz. I haven't been able to get any of my CDs to look good with a full cattleman's crease. The only way to do it may be Atticus Finch's Optimo option.

I've been able to take away some of the cone-like look from the front and still get the full "owns-the-ranch" side profile by doing what I call a modified cattleman's, with a center dent and by moving the side pinches slightly forward.

Here is my Stetson 100 shaped that way.
IMG_7217_zpsjm1xtzzy.jpg
IMG_7215_zpsccsix51c.jpg

Sort of a compromise between, or hybrid of, cattleman's crease and fedora with (somewhat) forward pinches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner