Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which one is the best A-2 repro manufacturer? Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Re

Flyderf

New in Town
Gracias Coffee!
Phantom: My wife asked me last night "how many jackets do you have" I replied, "well, after I sell the..." Wife: "No - how many do you have NOW?" Me: "Um, leather or otherwise?" Wife: "Leather" Me: "Hmm, I think about 6-8, but remember when you started collecting glass - you started with pieces that you got rid of later because the more you learned, the more you had to upgrade?" Wife: "Yes. Does that number include the two new ones you have on order???" Me: "No dear..."

:)

I seem to have had a similar conversation with my wife. My response was, "would you rather I take up gambling and chasing women with my extra money?" I also told her she only had to go as far as the closet to see where my money has gone. No clandestine accounting needed.

kurtboy

New in Town
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Just like anything else, consider your price range. I'd say $300 on the lower end for a quality A2, all the way $1100 for a top shelf reproduction. If you have a common size you will have good luck picking up a used Aero or Eastman reproduction. If you want the real thing watch ebay, but I would read up and do some research on the small nuances of picking out the "real deal", there are some unscrupulous sellers who try to pass off reproductions as originals.

I agree with Andrew, John of Good Wear Leather is top shelf.

All great site thanks for all the feedback!

Guam USA

New in Town
This is for everyone: I scanned through the threads looking for pictures and I don't think I saw Bill Kelso Manufacturing mentioned anywhere (but i might have missed it). Rather than going back through them all again, I think Bill Kelso might be a good option. Americans expats based in Greece. They are now making a Rough Wear Contract no. 27752 repro in seal and russet. Search them out in this forum, I'm strongly considering buying one from them right now.

GW. Then Aero. Then it's up in the air...you really need to break it down by cost. There's just no way that you can answer without accounting for the money aspect of it. There's nice A-2's for half of a GW or Aero, but they're not necessarily a bad jacket - in fact, they're not bad, just not as good. But the GW bar is high and Aero is also excellent. As we've discussed before here, there's great jackets for much less, but it all comes down to what's important to YOU.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, ButteMT61 and CBI all make very good points on the current state of the A-2 market. There is an A-2 for every budget. Having spent a lifetime collecting A-2s, original and repop (more repop), I have found that I like the inexpensive A-2s as much as the top dollar A-2s. A daily wear A-2 is from the mall and is distressed with side warmer pockets but is very comfortable and cool looking. It hangs right next to the all the other flight jackets. As stated in aprevious post there is something good in all the jackets. Bottom line I guess is as long as your are happy with your purchase the tip the hat as you see a guy wearing an A-2 walking down the "flightline" so to speak.

True, I missed a few of the options thinking out loud - especially forgot US Wings as they're not so often seen over here.

BTW the guys and gals flying the warbirds at airshows, ever see what they are wearing...NOT an Eastman or GW usually a cooper or other type goatskin jacket that can take the abuse of flying and doing preflights and not worry about a 1000.00 jacket.
2 cents Enjoy your flight jackets this fall and winter!!

Very true! There's a lot to be said about having a jacket you're less precious about in some situations. The main reason (rapidly rising cost aside)I've never thought of buying an original is because I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it out anywhere in case I damaged it, and I just don't have the space or the money to go buying jackets that I won't use as garments. Not to in any way take away from those who collect them out of historical interest - I'm all for that. Just that repros better fit my needs. Much as cheaper repros better fit the needs of those you mention above...

I think next time around (I still "need" a russet A2, and one badged up for the CBI theatre, and maybe an M442a badged up for the AVG....) I will be going Bill Kelso. Still hanker after a Goodwear one day...

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
I want to throw Buzz Rickson into the mix here. I tried on a bunch of lesser jackets first, none of them were right and my girlfriend hated all of them. It got to the point where said shed support me, but she just was not a fan of A-2's. Then I got my Buzz Rickson in and right away her eyes lit up. And I love it the most, and she loves it too. The fit of the jacket is probably the single most important thing to me and I must say the cut of the jacket is just amazing. None of that spare tire over the middle sort of a look you get with some A-2's. Secondly I think the leather is awesome. Looks nice and rugged but also works for a more classy dinner situation. I'd have to say I don't know how I could be happier. The only thing would be that the cost of mine same was less than most BR's, but the zipper could be a little better. Honestly though its a minuscule price to pay for an amazing jacket. :)

rubbersoul007

New in Town
I ordered an Aero anniversary 15142 in Jerky Russet that I was told by Amanda at Aero will be ready next week!! Might get a decent day here and there to wear it before the weather gets to hot. I have also taking the plunge and have ordered a Goodwear, ( was told there are a year out as of today for orders). Going with the Perry sportswear in a light russet with the Conmar zip!! I may change the contract but right now its the Perry for my 1st Goodwear !!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I ordered an Aero anniversary 15142 in Jerky Russet that I was told by Amanda at Aero will be ready next week!! Might get a decent day here and there to wear it before the weather gets to hot. I have also taking the plunge and have ordered a Goodwear, ( was told there are a year out as of today for orders). Going with the Perry sportswear in a light russet with the Conmar zip!! I may change the contract but right now its the Perry for my 1st Goodwear !!

Very good choice IMHO. I've had two Perry Sportswear A-2s from John recently (a 16175-P in seal over russet and a 23377 in dark russet goat). They were both superbly detailed and true to pattern. I've owned originals almost exclusively from this maker and John captures them perfectly. Of the two, I prefer the goatskin - indistinguishable from an NOS original. Enjoy it when it arrives.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
For accuracy to pattern, quality of hides, and hardware Good Wear by a country mile...

Would agree there.
For A2's Goodwear are head and shoulders above the rest.
Both Eastman and Aero have a jacket to suit most customers re price and depending on the brief - quality, accuracy, confortable fit, value for money, etc offer good alternatives
For the A1 pattern I would still favour the Eastman just above Goodwear but it is close.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner