Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Pecard's Product/is my jacket "coated" leather?

Christoball

New in Town
I an sure there have been lots of questions like this one floated, but I have a couple specific questions, so here goes:

There are at least three Pecard's leather dressings that might work with a new leather jacket. I can't decide which to use.

Pecard's CLASSIC says it works on everything but "coated" leather. Is my Taylor's Leatherware jacket "coated?" IDK.

Pecard's regular dressing has same caveat as "classic.'

Then there is Pecard's "antique" which is as much a restorative as a protectant. It may be specifically for leather of a certain vintage.

I am having trouble understanding the difference in these three products, or deciding which will work better as a conditioner / protectant on my new jacket. I want to soften the jacket a little bit, to get some of the shipping creases out of it and stretch out the buttonholes a bit. The jacket was folded inside a shipping box and has some creases that seem slow to come out, and the buttonholes need to soften and stretch a bit to be serviceable.

Another candidate might be Langlitz' leather dressing. Any recommendations?

https://pecard.com/shop/classic/classic-leather-dressing/

They're all the same. Either one is fine. Taylor's in all likelihood is coated, though but I doubt it it's fully waterproof; Just means the grease will sit on the jacket a lot longer but yeah, Pecard's classic is just fine.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't think your Taylor's jacket will be coated. I have a Taylor's, and it isn't "coated." But different styles may have different finishes.

One of our members contacted Pecard about this and was told, IIRC, that Classic and Regular have the same formulations. I doubt that Antique is much different, although it might have some color added to it. Companies use "market segmentation" to sell more of their product to different segments of the market.

Normally, I would say don't put anything on it, but it might help in getting the creases out of the jacket. In 15 or 20 years you might need a conditioner, but probably not until then.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Entirely my opinion and I’m sure it depends on the leather, but I generally don’t find that creases really “come out” of jackets. The leather develops a memory and, once bent a certain way, tends to return to that preference.

I’ve tried to “reinfluence” several of my jackets. It never seems to work. But what does happen is that the creases are joined by other creases and eventually no one but you will be able to see anything special about those first creases.

My humble suggestion (and I feel your pain) is to wear the jacket more and don’t condition it. Ball it up. Store it by throwing it in a chair folded different ways. Eventually the jacket will find its character.

What does coated mean ?

To me; Heavy finish. Like that plastic-y kinda stuff LW or Vanson hide is coated with.

Entirely my opinion and I’m sure it depends on the leather, but I generally don’t find that creases really “come out” of jackets. The leather develops a memory and, once bent a certain way, tends to return to that preference.

I’ve tried to “reinfluence” several of my jackets. It never seems to work. But what does happen is that the creases are joined by other creases and eventually no one but you will be able to see anything special about those first creases.

My humble suggestion (and I feel your pain) is to wear the jacket more and don’t condition it. Ball it up. Store it by throwing it in a chair folded different ways. Eventually the jacket will find its character.

Agreed one hundred per cent. Once the first creases get set in, that's it. Nothing that can be done about it.

Leather jacket will display more wear within the first 10 times you wear it than after 200 consequent wears.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed. My LW Ryder has a serious crease right across the center of the back from being folded and packed in a box. I’ve tried everything I could think of to remove the crease but it is still there. I also think it is something that almost nobody else in the world would notice unless I pointed it out to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB