Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
J B said:
Regarding President Obama, has he even been seen donning a brimmed hat since he wore that black cowboy hat
Nope, though he could be seen wearing a fedora on very cold Winter days in Chicago but that was back when he would walk a mile or so from his office to the health club; before he entered the Senate and began being chauffeured around in town cars.

If memory serves, he wore something like this; brown, self banded, probably wool, less the pin and feather. A relatively common hat for Chicago pols.

argfc214d2s_124.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
Why leave out other world leaders? Let's not forget that some world leaders became so identified with their hat that it was named after them. I think even in the UK today their are some who call certain types of homburgs an "Anthony Eden hat".

3618577661_4fd0512ed2.jpg

Nice photo! The Homburg became the hat of the politcal elite of the world. Edward VII came up with it (based on his nephew's Wilhelm II hunting hut) but it had a different look (high crown with lots of taper, gray felt and no brim binding). Actually McKinley (see above) is wearing an Edward like Möckel Homburg.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
J.B. said:
I have always liked these two pics of LBJ -- my CinC a long time ago. :)
lbj58bw.jpg
lbj43rw.jpg

I agree...those are great photos. You know, in those shots his hat looks more like a Resistol than a Stetson. There appears to be a very subtle "squareness" at the top and front of the crown that whispers Waco or San Antonio as opposed to Open Road.

On a different note, here's a rare shot of JFK with a hat actually on his head.

jfkhat-1.jpg

AF

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tiller said:
Why leave out other world leaders? Let's not forget that some world leaders became so identified with their hat that it was named after them. I think even in the UK today their are some who call certain types of homburgs an "Anthony Eden hat".

3618577661_4fd0512ed2.jpg
There was also Napoleon.

I wish Reagan would have been a fedora man, but he did wear a cowboy hat well, not to mention he had a fine head of hair. Always looked well put-together, as well as being a great speaker.

I am a big fan of the Variety of TR's hats. The man is really a man of interest in hats as well as all avenues.

LBJ and Dubya both pull off the cowboy hat too. I think it's a great look as a leader, shows a sort of pioneer, rough and tumble, not taking guff from nobody kind of attitude.

And I'll make a deal with all of you, if I ever become president, I will sport a fedora :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not another thread on the death of the hat.

Not Kennedy, but:

The end of the utility became the end of the fashion...

Cars -- no more walking everywhere and riding horses in the open
Television -- no more sitting on your porch talking to your neighbor
Mass transit -- you are underground and inside

We just became an indoor animal. Hat's were out in the 1920s, we just didn't realize it till fashion caught up and the suit disappeared on your buddy at the desk next to you.

The real tragedy is that women tried to hold onto hats through the 60s with their pillboxes, and gave up knowing that they didn't even have time to do their hair when they joined the workforce.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
Which is why their neckties are usually either solid or striped, and drab to the max. I would love to see any politician in a Bold Look tie...

The drab tie look for politicians became popular when color TV became popular. In the days before HD it was difficult to know exactly how a bold patterned tie would look on Fred and Ethel's color TV.

ebb

New in Town
Seems like when the hat left alot of other good things went with it. I love the way women used to dress. The hats, the dresses, the nylons , the heels. Nowadays it seems women dress like men and men like women. I do think the fedora is making a comeback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy