Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiskey

Doctor Mabuse

New in Town
(New guy jumps in)...
One of my favorite classic bourbons is Old Crow. Not exactly top shelf stuff, I'll admit, but at 13 bucks a handle it makes for a good after-work tipple.

eldonkr

Familiar Face
I don't drink often. The first time I blacked out and had an argument with my roommates Chihuahua was when I had a full bottle of Southern Comfort to myself. One summer while on vacation from trade school I was voluntarily homeless for half a week, one of those days was spent camping in a friends back yard with a half a bottle of some cheap wine to keep me company and later in the night someone showed up with some wild turkey. I'm mostly a beer drinker, I do enjoy Irish Car Bombs when the wallet and time of year permit. I still have a mostly empty bottle of Jamison's on top of the fridge from last St. Patrick's Day. From time to time I partake of Crown Royal. I've heard some good things about Black Velvet but haven't been able to locate it. My cousin described it as the smoothest whiskey there is, is that his opinion or fact?

KenS

New in Town
Who Me? Yeah, I like an occasional drink; 6:00 6:20...

On a more serious note, the liquors I like to always have on hand are:
Jamison Irish Whiskey
Stolichnaya Vodka
Jim Beam Rye Whiskey
Bombay London Dry Gin
Romana Sambvca

These are what I keep on hand for myself, for guests I usually also have on hand:

Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey
Scorsbey Scotch Whiskey
Jose Cuervo Pre-Mixed Margarita

I also keep a supply of red and white wines.

This is the basic inventory I like to keep on hand, and I can usually find something a guest is happy with.
Saludte, Ken.
Who does like boilermakers on occasion.:eek:

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've read this entire thread and haven't seen a mention yet of Blanton's. Its also very good and around here the on-going argument is "Blantons or Makers Mark, which is the best?".
I like Woodford Reserve and "1892" which is sometimes hard to find but very, very good.
There is "The Kentucky Bourbon Festival" coming up in September in Bardstown, KY. Anyone within driving range ought to check it out. Lots of fun, actual tasting areas and distiller info.

(another new member jumps in)

Ah my favorite subject!
For anytime it's Woodford reserve (with bitters)
the others in fairly good order: 2.Sazarc Rye
3. Michters
4. Bookers
5 Jamesons
oh yes, I tried the "Smoky Martini" from the Classic Style magazine article and while it was good, I found the Lagavulin outstanding to sip neat

Also, let me say I've really been enjoying all the sections of the forum and look forward to getting aquainted!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Doctor Mabuse said:
(New guy jumps in)...
One of my favorite classic bourbons is Old Crow. Not exactly top shelf stuff, I'll admit, but at 13 bucks a handle it makes for a good after-work tipple.

The name reminds of the "cheap stuff" from the movie Laura.

Dthunderchicken

New in Town
And yet another newb jumps in.

HI All;

I'll second 2the9s vote for George Dickle white label. It's the only whisky I've recomended to a friend as yummy. A glass of that and a Daniel Silva novel and I'm set for the evening.

FWIW, Jack Daniels used to be better than it is today. I've heard that they've been buying their sugar maple charcoal rather than fireing their own.

Ed13

Familiar Face
I don't drink many cocktails and keep my mixing very simple as I try to avoid sugar due to taste and after effects in the morning. I favour whisky that I can drink neat or for the less expensive bottles possibly have a drink on ice or with a splash of soda water.

For inexpensive bottles at the LCBO I purchase;

Teachers - blended Scotch
Bushmills Black Bush - blended Irish Whiskey
Redbreast 12yr old - Irish Whiskey

These bottles are all decent straight but don't break the bank when mixing.

I no longer drink any Canadian whisky since Wiser De Luxe stopped aging for 10 years and instead began adding colouring and who knows what else. A shame since it was always my go to drink. This was a very decent whisky at a bargain price.

I consider the best bargain for a high end Scotch right now in Ontario is Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Next would be any Glenfiddich. Pricing can be very different in different areas though. It seems mark ups and distributor margins can be all over the board.

Other premium Scotches worth a try that have not been mentioned are anything from Talisker, Highland Park or Ardbeg. You can't go wrong with any of these.

I am not a big believer in 20+ year ages for the premium. I often prefer the younger offerings from the same distiller or don't find enough advantage to warrant the extra expense.

For the last number of years I have been stock piling good Scotch because I believe some of the raw materials will become more expensive or unobtainable in the future. This happened to fine textiles decades ago due to poorer quality of water and will no doubt affect Scotch for the same reason or possibly a host of others. Hopefully, I will have my lifetime supply before the prices sky rocket or our favourites will be only in our memories.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
A couple of months ago I stopped in at Pearl Specialty Market & Spirits. While perusing the wall of whiskies, one of the guys there suggested a bottle of Corner Creek Bourbon. I took his advice and never regretted it, it was simple amazing, and only $21 to boot! On a later expedition to buy some gin, I mentioned to the guys there how great the Corner Creek was, and such a steal, too. Seems they were listening to me...I stopped in the other night and the price had gone up to $30. >_<

Oh well, it's still cheaper than Bulleit and just as tasty.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
There are several good whiskeys out there and the choices are more plentiful today than ever before. I've tried and enjoyed many of the brands listed already including Knob Creek, Bulleit, and Buffalo Trace.

Believe it or not, we're pretty lucky here in Iowa because we now have Templeton Rye which is a very good rye whiskey. If you have the opportunity to sample, take advantage of it.
http://www.templetonrye.com/home/

Then located just 20 miles from my house...:) is the Cedar Ridge Distillery, producers of Cedar Ridge Iowa Bourbon. This is the first bourbon distilled in Iowa since prohibition. It is made from 75% corn and is exceptionally good. Probably the smoothest bourbon I've ever drank. This is quickly becoming my favorite bourbon.
http://www.cedarridgedistillery.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran