Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White pants, Navy D/B jacket?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
whitepantsfront.jpg
I just scored these '40s white wool trousers and was thinking they'd look kinda nice with a summer ensemble and Panama- but also with a nice '40s Navy pinstripe double breasted jacket (jacket's great, pants just too small) that I have... True or false?
What kind of look would this be?(with the P/S jacket)

Any constructive opinions greatfully received.
Thanks,
BT.

Wild Root

Gone Home
BT, don't listen to any of those clowns! (No offence guys) Matt’s right on the money! Brown, gray, light blue, navy blue, black and dark green or light green (if you can find it) would work very well! In the 30's that was a very popular combo for summer and for an Ocean Voyage. The navy blue coat, (Double or single breasted) was a common look with ivory or white wool or linen pants. White bucks or two tones would be the shoe of choice. A linen Palm Beach neck tie or something light colored and striped would be a nice choice. Trust me, you wouldn't look like Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island! I have some cream pants in the collection and wear it with a dark coat most of the time. You don't know how well received that look is! I get lots of folks telling me how classy I look! A navy pinstriped double breasted coat with ivory pants.... OH YEAH! That's the good stuff man!

That photo of Howard is great! They had Leo in that same outfit in the Aviator! Very classy.

Cheers!

Root.

PS. Here is a photo of Bing Crosby in the said outfit. Striped coat, cream pants. Yeah, I added the color.

image08copy4pi.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I thought it was pretty kool too.
Those pants are brill. I have a really nice navy pinstriped double breasted suit but the suit pants are just a little too small in the waist to comfortablt alter.
It's nice to be able to mix and match competently- the jacket fits nice and slim and is very tailored and quite high closing. Maybe with an open collar and a cravat would be a nice smart casual look too, huh?
I sold my buc's, maybe need a new pair...

Thanks for your opinions-

BT.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Navy Blazer

That's a very classy look!
Plus, you can dress it up, or dress it down.
Orvis makes a pretty cool single-breasted one in wool
with an action-back and working sleeve buttons thats
pretty slick looking.
J. Peterman used to make a double-breasted one with an
action-back and very subdued bronze-colored buttons,
but they're a sometime thing.
Do any of you really wear the double-breasted pinstripe suit
jacket with solid pants? I haven't tried that before, but I
will- have a couple of double-breasted suits from a
past life.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a DB PS suit here in DK from a rag shop- it's '40s, well maybe '50s but '40s old school style- definitely old. Mixing an dmatching just gives some variety and versatility to your wardrobe.
But white or cream pants are the go, I think- it's about contrast here.
I'm looking forward to receiving the pants... I like them because they're old but flat-front, very cazh...

BT.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Spectator Shoes?

Is Howard Hughes wearing spectator shoes in the photo above.
I can't really tell.
Just curious. Definitely a way to make the outfit a
little more casual.

Wild Root

Gone Home
They're just cap toes. Brown more then likely. I have a few of them in the closet and they have a red brown look. THEY LOOK GREAT with the blue and ivory combo! Don't knock it till you try it! They didn't always wear two tones with these sport outfits.

An open mind is a great thing!

Root.

As for the pinstriped coat with solid pants, if Bing Crosby did it, it's good enough for me!

El Jefe

New in Town
Go for it, Belly!
No picture offhand, but Hemingway and his groomsmen all wore the white flannels and blue DB blazers at his first wedding...very summer in Kennebunkport sort of a look...
If one's into that sort of thing...

10155991_10201721597349883_1434027317768895268_n_zps0f738104.jpg

this is me navy db 40's blazer white fred perry 60's trousers two tone shoes (cant see them) one of my own Peaky Blinder caps and vintage frames

VM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy