Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White residue on the inside of collar of leather jacket

borisna

A-List Customer
Gents,

Anyone has any idea what this is? Salt from sweat from my neck? I can remove most of it with just a dry towel and some rubbing, note the leather is pigment finish.
Had a similar thing on a full aniline black Vicenza, but there it was not residue but complete discoloration.
84106514_750338328839911_7471457614155251416_n.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I get this too. Wipe down and pop on some conditioner. I think it's the salts in your neck and perspiration effecting the leather. I don't wear any product. My black Vanson, less than a year old - is slightly discolored by this. It's gone all soft on the collar too, but hopefully no cracking.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I'd say something like leather jackets should always be worn over a collared shirt or with a scarf but nobody does that anymore. At some point (The Ramones?) leather jackets stopped being bad/cold weather gear and became summer gear worn over a t-shirt. Hence bare skin against the collar and sweat and salt damage.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I get the same thing, which is why i wipe the collar of worn jackets weekly during the warm months.
I also do a wipe down of all the collars once a year on top of that.
All i use is a wet microfiber, if it is a jacket i have worn lots or if the collar looks dry i also give it a wipe with the rag i use to apply Pecards, just to put a thin layer of conditionner on it.

I also get similar deposits on some jackets because i use beard wax, if the collar has a shape where my beard will rub on it it leaves a white wax deposit that is easily removed with a damp cloth too.
This happens more on Cafe Racer and mandarin collars.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I live in a relatively "hot" place, Perth Western Australia , and wear my jackets on some days where the ride home is HOT.

I have yet to see this on any of my jackets , but will now be looking for it. From October onwards anyway haha...

I have had a "beard" for 99% of the last 35 years or longer , but kept trimmed short using a number 1.

No "beard wax" required there ! We do use various sunscreen products tho', almost a national obsession.

"SLIP SLOP SLAP" the mantra goes !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB