Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Nomad Engineer custom

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Hi all,

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of custom whites nomad engineer boots from bakers boots.

I just tried out a pair of John Engineer boots and beside the fact that they were too small, they also just felt light and inconsiquential. That convinced me to go with either Wesco or White's. I already have a pair of whites packer rangers and love them, particularly the heaviness. Also because it's a lot cheaper to get a custom engineer with whites through baker boots than with Wesco, and because you can get natty cxl.

I think would do a 10 inch instead of 12 inch shaft. Also asked for semi dress heal 1/4 lower, as well as the make the shaft a bit more slender (like Wesco can take out 1 inch) and to have an unstructured toe. Not sure what bakers will be able to get whites to agree to, but let's see.

Not entirely sure about heel choice. What do others think?

Any other considerations?

Also, whats the experience others have walking around in whites nomads?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
What size do you wear? Reason i ask is wesco has some killer overstock 7400 in size 9 for 60% retail. Wesco are HEAVY. Very substantial boots.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
I'm not sure for Wesco. I wear a 9d in Alden Indy and a 9.5d in Allen Edmonds.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
My sense is that fit is more important for engineer boots than other as you done have laces to modify. So that's why I think I prefer custom, and whites arent so much more expensive for custom through bakers. But yes, I looked at those Wesco. Maybe if I had more experience with the brand...

Colin G

One Too Many
Let us know how your test fit boots fit. I was sized by White's but am skeptical.

I am a size 9 D width in everything except Red Wing Heritage which I am usually an 8 D. Whites wants to put me in a 7 1/2 E Width in a Bounty Hunter. They like to size with 1/2" space for your big toe but that may be too close for my liking.

Colin G

One Too Many
I think they may be no returns
I am a 9 in redwing heritage
A 9.5 in wolverine 1000 mile
And a 9.5 in wesco

I have been told to go 1/2 size down in Wesco. I am a 9 usually so would take an 8 1/2. I am an 8D in Red Wing Heritage so what you say sounds right compared to what I have heard about Wesco.

If Canadian brands like Dayton and Viberg were priced better I would not have to look at White's or Wesco.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Let us know how your test fit boots fit. I was sized by White's but am skeptical.

I am a size 9 D width in everything except Red Wing Heritage which I am usually an 8 D. Whites wants to put me in a 7 1/2 E Width in a Bounty Hunter. They like to size with 1/2" space for your big toe but that may be too close for my liking.

I wear 9.5 in Redwing and 9 in alden indy and whites bounty hunter. So that seems reasonable. Also, my 9 d bounty hunters are narrower than my 9 d indys. If I had bought them first hand a 9e would have been better. But i just used a slightly oversized shoe tree and now they fit great. So your sizing doesn't seem off.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I wear
9 in RW Iron rangers and beckman
9.5 in Wolverine 1000 mile
9.5 in Wesco engineer
If there was any way i could squeeze into a pair of the 9’s at that price i would jump on it.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
I wear
9 in RW Iron rangers and beckman
9.5 in Wolverine 1000 mile
9.5 in Wesco engineer
If there was any way i could squeeze into a pair of the 9’s at that price i would jump on it.

From what you say I'd likely be a 10 in Wesco.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all,

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of custom whites nomad engineer boots from bakers boots.

I just tried out a pair of John Engineer boots and beside the fact that they were too small, they also just felt light and inconsiquential. That convinced me to go with either Wesco or White's. I already have a pair of whites packer rangers and love them, particularly the heaviness. Also because it's a lot cheaper to get a custom engineer with whites through baker boots than with Wesco, and because you can get natty cxl.

I think would do a 10 inch instead of 12 inch shaft. Also asked for semi dress heal 1/4 lower, as well as the make the shaft a bit more slender (like Wesco can take out 1 inch) and to have an unstructured toe. Not sure what bakers will be able to get whites to agree to, but let's see.

Not entirely sure about heel choice. What do others think?

Any other considerations?

Also, whats the experience others have walking around in whites nomads?

Had two pairs of Nomads, and a pair of Semi dress, a pair of Packer. One pair of Nomad was with the logger heel, quite dramatic. The other with the walker block heel. Block heel
Is better and you won’t sprain your ankle. Lighter for waking too. They don’t slip, very nice to wear and look good. Ask them to do the “close” welt/sole, single around of top stitch, no toe structure. Walker heel of a height of your preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Had two pairs of Nomads, and a pair of Semi dress, a pair of Packer. One pair of Nomad was with the logger heel, quite dramatic. The other with the walker block heel. Block heel
Is better and you won’t sprain your ankle. Lighter for waking too. They don’t slip, very nice to wear and look good. Ask them to do the “close” welt/sole, single around of top stitch, no toe structure. Walker heel of a height of your preference.

pictures l?

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Care to post photos of your Canada west and review? Would love to hear about it

Hey Regius,

Here’s a link to the CW engineers in brown that I have, also,available in black.
https://www.canadawestboots.com/5085

If you're looking for CXL leather, and stacked heels, these won’t do it for you. They are good solid leather boots, Goodyear welt construction, slip resistant soles. They have really good arch support and are great for all day comfort. The only detractor is the silly “Biker” logo stamped on the front of the boot, but it’s high up where you don’t see it when worn. They sell for about $250 Canadian, which is less the $200 US. CW boots are still made in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I’ve worn CW boots for 40 years, great products.

B

regius

Interbak thank you!! From the look of it (I think my eyes are trained now to be able
To discern fit and comfort just by looking at
Photos), they look like the Viberg 2005 last engineers, secure around the instep (more secure than the infamously spacious Viberg), and cushy rubber soles. Now, how would you rate the stiffness and thickness of the leather? Does it feel substantial and dense or flappy?

regius

Hey Regius,

Here’s a link to the CW engineers in brown that I have, also,available in black.
https://www.canadawestboots.com/5085

If you're looking for CXL leather, and stacked heels, these won’t do it for you. They are good solid leather boots, Goodyear welt construction, slip resistant soles. They have really good arch support and are great for all day comfort. The only detractor is the silly “Biker” logo stamped on the front of the boot, but it’s high up where you don’t see it when worn. They sell for about $250 Canadian, which is less the $200 US. CW boots are still made in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I’ve worn CW boots for 40 years, great products.

B

Would love to see some photos of yours

Edward

Bartender
Engineer boots seem to be the hardest of all boots to get the 'just right' fit in. I have found that with most brands, I take my usual size, which snugs up just right with the addition of an insole. (The ones I've bought to date didn't have the option of half-sizes). Otherwise, everything else - RedWing Iron Rangers included - I'm a solid UK 8M/US9D/EU42 right across the board. I'd be happier to take an alternative sizing on trust if I was present at the makers and could either try one on in person, or I was measured up by them: if they get the measurements wrong, it's on them to make good, but if I call it wrong by mail, that's one very expensive doorstop I just bought... Rather an inexpensive insole than that!

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hi Regius,

I would say the leather used by CW is mid weight. It is solid, not at all flappy/floppy, but not so stiff as to be uncomfortable. They take very little to break in. The sizing is a bit large. I typically wear a 9 or 9.5 in most boots, these are 8.5. I’ll post up a pic or two shortly.

Later, B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ