Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who carries WW2 I/D cards on them?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And if so, what does it look like? what unit and rank? why do you like to have it on you? and where did you get it from? (If you made it, please share how you went about researching what to reproduce and how did you go about creating it?).

Doc.Freddy

New in Town
I do!

I do! I carry a repro WWII U.S. Army Medic ID card. My DOB is 13 AUG 1918. I think its great. How cool is it to pull out a WWII Id card. Its a great conversation starter.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have both a reproduction Waffen-SS soldbuch and Red Army ID booklet. I think my DOB in the Russian ID book is 1920, I can't remember when my German date of birth is.

Which reminds me, I need to paste my ID photos in both books.

B-17 Pilot

New in Town
. . .Hey Paddy and all,

I carry the standard Army Air Corps ID card which has the orange border along with a picture, personal info, and a finger print. I am a rank of Captain, which I portray almost all the time in our Airman's Preservation Society shows. (when I don't get demoted to sergeant!) I got it at the Celebrate Freedom show in South Carolina about 5 years ago, but I'll be darned if I remember who I got it from. . .Paddy you probably know! He was very thorough, took the picture, took the finger print and put the card together right there in his tent! He had a long line outside his tent for people waiting to get their card! He actually had the two war varieties to pick from, the earlier one that had no plastic lamination covering and the later war version which I selected. Coupled with my original ID black AAF holder, it looks quite convincing!

My best to all here at TFL,

Mike

Cobden

Practically Family
A rather dodgy Royal Navy ID card; found an image of an RCN ID card, and reproduced it on MS publisher without the Canadian bits, then filled it in on a typewriter.
Oddly enough, it has "Age" and not DoB; my rank, though, is Midshipman (S) or Sub-Lieutenant (A), and I've added a couple of middle initials to my name

pablocham

One of the Regulars
This really got my curiosity up. Why do you do this, if I may ask? Do you show these cards to people, or do you keep them to yourselves? I am not judging you, lord knows I certainly do plenty of odd stuff myself, but the idea of carrying what is essentially a false or counterfeit identity card is really interesting to me.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Might be worth seeing some photos of these cards..?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing some of the photos of these repro/original ww2 ID cards!!

If I can, I'll try to get some up on Acrodobe so that folk can print them off and customise them. How does that sound?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
When I do an Army Nurse impression at events, I do carry one. I made it from a reproduction PDF file.

pablocham said:
This really got my curiosity up. Why do you do this, if I may ask? Do you show these cards to people, or do you keep them to yourselves? I am not judging you, lord knows I certainly do plenty of odd stuff myself, but the idea of carrying what is essentially a false or counterfeit identity card is really interesting to me.

I'll try to explain this. At many public events, the goal of the event organizers is to let the public take a step back in time - so they feel that they really *are* standing in the middle of an Allied ETO encampment in 1944. I wear authentic uniforms and carry some authentic paperwork and items (reprinted WWII foreign money, ID card, WWII cigarettes and matches, etc.) and will show them to the public to heighten their experience. Most people find it tremendously interesting! It also makes for neat little scenarios, such as MPs at the gates asking to check IDs, that sort of thing.

It is the same mentality as wearing WWII uniforms. We are not impersonating military officers or trying to pass ourselves off as such - we are representing history. Think of it as a stage production with actors, but in a much more relaxed setting. The IDs and paperwork aren't intended to be counterfeit, they are just "props."

I have to admit that it is also fun for the reenactor, when you're standing in the middle of a forest with nothing around except WWII vehicles and other people in uniforms, and you reach into your pocket and the only items there are authentic WWII items - not plastic driver's licenses and cell phones. It can definitely give you one of those eerie "time warp" moments!

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I understand the reenactor thing, but Paddy's question "why do you like to have it on you?" and doc.freddy's reply both suggested that people also carry them while wearing civilian dress.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
I have to admit that it is also fun for the reenactor, when you're standing in the middle of a forest with nothing around except WWII vehicles and other people in uniforms, and you reach into your pocket and the only items there are authentic WWII items - not plastic driver's licenses and cell phones. It can definitely give you one of those eerie "time warp" moments![/QUOTE]

Well said Ft Worth Gal!

Warden

One Too Many
Mrs W and I carry British civilian ID cards at events.

Especially if I play the part of a Home Guardsman and ask the visiting public for their papers, you need to have your papers in case they ask to see yours.

I found these on ebay for sale, they give you a good idea what a Brit civilian ID card looks like.

mik4.jpg

and

mik3.jpg

Chin chin

Harry

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
pablocham said:
Yeah, I understand the reenactor thing, but Paddy's question "why do you like to have it on you?" and doc.freddy's reply both suggested that people also carry them while wearing civilian dress.

Now that I'm not sure about! Unless it is 1940s civilian attire at an event. lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Pilot Rating Cards??

Anyone have (or know where to get) pilot rating cards? I'm looking for one of these, like the one pictured on page 168 of Maguire's "Gear Up" book. Also, if you have one of these, would you be willing to provide an accurate scan of the front/back? Of all the repro paperwork floating around the internet, this seems to be the one item I cannot locate. Thanks!
-Mike

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Repo WW2 Military ID.

Okay got the PDF to print and I had some difficulties doing it be got it printed. NOW... it seems really small to me. I did a search here in the forum and online and came up with nothing... can someone PLEASE give me the measurement of the orginal Tri-Fold ID book? And also is this what Officers carried as well?

-JX

Hondo

One Too Many
Repo USAAF ID

I haven't had time to search ebay but does any one here know how to Repo a USAAF ID? They look great, and would like to carry one, so as the next time I'm at a WWII event, thanks!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Military ID

I carry my old dog tag on a key chain; partly for sentiment,
also because it lists my blood type/religion.

Now if I could have kept the do not arrest or detain card.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany