Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Does Without TV?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
They say that kids who watch little or no TV tend to do better in school. Maybe there's more to that than simply having more time for homework.

I know my daughter spends her time reading, drawing, and playing with her toys. Heck, last night we were both sitting in the living room, she with her notebook, pen, and book about tigers and me with my notebook, pen, and book about WW2. We were both researching! (And she's only 9 years old, but a HUGE tiger lover). We had the music on and to me, it was a perfect evening - no blaring television distracting us.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where do you folks go to download these radio shows? Is there a website that has them posted, or are you doing the Torrent/limewire thing?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I seem to have more time since I've been without reception. I never watched much anyway, but now I don't find myself at 10 p.m. still needing to take a shower and pack a lunch and pick up around the house.

Edward

Bartender
klind65 said:
One wonderful thing which almost everyone in the past ( especially the 19th century) did was to sing. Most families had a piano and great times were had by playing and singing songs along to the piano. I'm currently taking singing lessons and find it extremely rewarding.

I very much doubt that piano ownership was that wiespread - outsie of the monied classes, anyhow.... that said, I do have the impression that in earlier eras more people were directly involved in making music as there was less opportunity to experience it otherwise as a passive consumer. Not that I'd give up my record collection etc for anyone.... lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
After reading a bit, it occurs to me that there is a certain vagueness to this thread question. I don't think there are many on this board who are all that into network programming. After all, how many people ever were or are? yet, many people here, including myself, watch a lot of movies, and probably a lot of network series on dvd. Of course, being free to self program and watch when you ant to is great, but there is much less difference between watching tv and watching your own self programmed tv, than the large difference between sitting in front of a screen and being entertained passively, and not doing so, opting to read, play board games or whatever.

As for me, I like to read, but when I get home, I love to pop in an episode or two of a good series, such as heroes, the Tudors, The Sopranos, and my new Fave, Jericho. I went years where I never owned or watched a tv. but now I enjoy it. Not much on network television I ever watch, although I always watch family guy at 11 if I am at home, usually working in the kitchen while watching. To be frank, while I have no problem with people who don't watch TV, I do get tired of how many of them trip over each other to make sure people know it. Not talking about this post, as that was the topic brought up. But in normal conversation, just like people who eat certain ways. Kind of funny.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You mean like this guy ("Area Man Constantly Mentioning he Doesn't Own a Television" from The Onion):

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

"I'm not an elitist," Green said. "It's just that I'd much rather sculpt or write in my journal or read Proust than sit there passively staring at some phosphorescent screen."​

It's called being pompous, and I'm glad that, IMO, none of the posts in this thread have taken that tone.

I agree watching DVDs isn't that much different from turning on the TV, but one important difference is that the viewer is in control of the programming. Another important difference that others have mentioned is avoiding the marketing directed at kids.

As for network programming, I've enjoyed some network programs over the years: WKRP, Moonlight, Freaks and Geeks, Titus, M*A*S*H, Party of Five, and Seinfeld, to name a few.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying TV programs; I think TV is best enjoyed selectively and with attention to how it affects you.

Elaina

One Too Many
I seldom mention it, to be honest. If someone asks if I watch such a show, I generally reply, "Not really." and leave it at that. If they come over, the first thing out of people's mouths is "Where IS your TV?!"

It's not a priority to have one. I'll get one eventually, but there is A TON of fabric I can buy for the cost of a set. I'd rather do that, although my son would probably like cable.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
With the recent switch to digital (over the air) TV I will have to admit that I'm more hooked than ever. No Cable for me and yet I have more programs to watch than I'll ever have time for. I've got scads of VHS tapes I've taped (and not watched) as well as lots of VHS and DVDs. And that's not to mention the limitless selection of the Denver Public Library's excellent video collection :eek: Thank goodness I'm not a sports fan lol History, mystery, news and documentary, CSI programs and comedy give me plenty to watch. Yikes :D I remember the early days of TV as a kid in the 1950s with only three or four channels, no TV in the bedroom, later no TV at College. Still don't have a flat screen and can't imagine why anyone would need one either. I rather like my 20 inch boob tube. Let the burglars go after the neighbors' flat screen TV and leave me alone with my bulky CRT :D

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I actually got called by a survey company today. On my cell phone, but I figured I'd indulge them because I never use all my minutes anyway, despite being on a 400 minute/month plan.

After confirming that I was indeed over 18, and a resident of Dearborn, don't work for a marketing or telecom company, and am actually a Comcast subscriber, the following conversation ensued:

Survey Guy: In an average week, how many hours of television do you watch?
Me: I actually don't have a TV.
SG: Oh... so, you don't watch any television?
M: None; I use Comcast for internet.
SG: Hahaha... I guess we're done then. Thanks for your time.
M: Bye.
*click*

Judging by his laughter and tone, I think he was pretty shocked. I just don't see the need for it. I can waste time on the internet just fine, thank you very much, and it's at least interactive. I can watch DVDs on my computer, and if I really want to watch TV shows I can rent them on DVD.

A TV would take up room on my sideboard that is currently filled with a WWII-era bubble sextant, a fruit bowl, and a table lamp.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
You mean like this guy ("Area Man Constantly Mentioning he Doesn't Own a Television" from The Onion):

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

"I'm not an elitist," Green said. "It's just that I'd much rather sculpt or write in my journal or read Proust than sit there passively staring at some phosphorescent screen."​

It's called being pompous, and I'm glad that, IMO, none of the posts in this thread have taken that tone.

I agree watching DVDs isn't that much different from turning on the TV, but one important difference is that the viewer is in control of the programming. Another important difference that others have mentioned is avoiding the marketing directed at kids.

As for network programming, I've enjoyed some network programs over the years: WKRP, Moonlight, Freaks and Geeks, Titus, M*A*S*H, Party of Five, and Seinfeld, to name a few.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying TV programs; I think TV is best enjoyed selectively and with attention to how it affects you.

What a great article =)

It has never bothered me that people watch tv, the thing that gets to me is how ubiquitous it is. I don't know if it's because i was raised without much television or something about the way my brain is wired, but i find it terribly difficult to think with a television going. It's unfortunate for me, then, how many places they tend to be going!

Maybe i ought to get one of these things: http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php (a keychain universal remote with nothing but an on/off button).

Okay, that would be inconsiderate, but it is kind of appealing ;).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the good things about owning a vintage TV (mine was made in 1954) is that you aren't tempted to just turn it on as background noise -- it uses up a lot of electricity, it takes a long time to warm up, and tubes don't grow on trees. So you're forced to *think* about what you want to watch, and using it actually becomes an occasion rather than just routine.

Although I *am* tempted to use it more during the winter -- it throws off enough heat to be an effective space heater.

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
After reading a bit, it occurs to me that there is a certain vagueness to this thread question. I don't think there are many on this board who are all that into network programming. After all, how many people ever were or are? yet, many people here, including myself, watch a lot of movies, and probably a lot of network series on dvd. Of course, being free to self program and watch when you ant to is great, but there is much less difference between watching tv and watching your own self programmed tv, than the large difference between sitting in front of a screen and being entertained passively, and not doing so, opting to read, play board games or whatever.

As for me, I like to read, but when I get home, I love to pop in an episode or two of a good series, such as heroes, the Tudors, The Sopranos, and my new Fave, Jericho. I went years where I never owned or watched a tv. but now I enjoy it. Not much on network television I ever watch, although I always watch family guy at 11 if I am at home, usually working in the kitchen while watching. To be frank, while I have no problem with people who don't watch TV, I do get tired of how many of them trip over each other to make sure people know it. Not talking about this post, as that was the topic brought up. But in normal conversation, just like people who eat certain ways. Kind of funny.

Good points, all. I agree absolutely re the active / passive thing.... and, quite frankly, I do very much believe that there is a place for passive entertainment. I'd rather it wasn't the be all and end all, but sometimes I don't want to have to think, I want something I can switch off with and passively absorb. I always shudder when TV shows go on about being 'interactive' - that's not what I watch TV for! I remember as a child feeling distinctly cheated when the Rodger the Dodger story in that year's Beano annual featured a 'multiple choice' ending, inviting the reader to choose one of three potential endings to the story. It just seemed lazy stroy telling to me - if you're going to make up a story, don't cop out at the end by making me finish it!! lol

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Good points, all. I agree absolutely re the active / passive thing.... and, quite frankly, I do very much beieve that there is a palce for passive entertainment. I'd rather it wasn't the be all and end all, but sometimes I don't want to have to think, I want something I can switch off with and passively absorb. I always shudder when TV shows go on about being 'interactive' - that's not what I watch TV for! I remember as a child feeling distinctly cheated when the Rodger the Dodger[i/] story in that year's Beano annual featured a 'multiple choice' ending, inviting the reader to choose one of three potential endings to the story. It just seemed lazy stroy telling to me - if you're going to make up a story, don't cop out at the end by making me finish it!! lol

I agree - there are times when I just need down time - i.e. I'm not in the mood to read or work on anything else, but I just need to sit and relax and not think. That's usually when I'll pop in a DVD.

Warden

One Too Many
I would consider going without the telly, espeically as I have just bought a DAB radio. BBC Radio 7, do you need anything else?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
yet, many people here, including myself, watch a lot of movies, and probably a lot of network series on dvd.

Mmm, I noticed this as well. I don't own any TV series on DVD, personally. I don't watch them on TV either. I do watch movies, but not all too often. I think most are terrible and pointless, so I don't own many. lol

reetpleat said:
Of course, being free to self program and watch when you ant to is great, but there is much less difference between watching tv and watching your own self programmed tv, than the large difference between sitting in front of a screen and being entertained passively, and not doing so, opting to read, play board games or whatever.

Agreed. A good point.

reetpleat said:
To be frank, while I have no problem with people who don't watch TV, I do get tired of how many of them trip over each other to make sure people know it.

Haha! As with religion, diet, politics, etc., etc.,!!!:D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
For me, there's a lot of difference between what I self-program and what I'd see on TV if I randomly turned it on. I don't like angsty, disheveled main characters or predictable jokes or people behaving badly on "reality" shows. That's mostly what was on the last time I tuned in.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
For me, there's a lot of difference between what I self-program and what I'd see on TV if I randomly turned it on. I don't like angsty, disheveled main characters or predictable jokes or people behaving badly on "reality" shows. That's mostly what was on the last time I tuned in.

Absolutely right. There are only a few of today's television programs I like - and they're mostly done by the BBC (As Times Goes By, for example, and even that is 10 years old). The explosion of reality shows has really soured me to television, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy