Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Does Without TV?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I do not watch free to air TV at all... havent watched it for years and I hate it really... but cable TV (or pay TV) is nice! :eusa_clap
All those 1920s and 1930s films and documentaries to record!!!!! :D
I'm thankful for that, they mean a lot to me!;)

I think most think I am a geeky guy because documentaries are all I watch...:)

Miss 1929

Haven't had an actual TV in about 12 years - we did have our video projector hooked up to the stereo for sound and the VCR for a tuner, but it was so tedious with all those machines involved. These days we instant-download shows and movies, and watch some silly things like the Daily Show as regularly as if it were TV, but on the computer.
I do find that now that I don't have one, if I am around a TV I find it hard to ignore, and as Warbaby says, creepy. And I certainly wouldn't want to try and get news from it.

Aorta

Familiar Face
I haven't had a telly for... uhmm, six years, I think. I don't miss it at all. When I'm visiting my parents and turn the TV on, I always turn it off after five minutes, because I find it stupid and boring.

I like independent films and documentaries - buy them on DVD and watch them on my computer.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
We have a tv, but only watch an occasional history channel show, or the odd classic movie. It's not worth watching unless it's a film noir with Bogie or Mitchum.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I think my daughter would bite me really hard if I got rid of PBS, but then again, she mostly watches movies and vintage cartoons on Youtube. I've thought about getting rid of it but then we didn't have TV for 9/11 and ended up going to a neighbors to watch the news. I kind of like that if something terrible happens we have access to quick info. like that. The net doesn't seem as tangible for some reason and I can't stand listening to disc jockeys.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I dvr the young and the restless and thats all the tv i watch. I just kind of use the tv as a radio and leave it on for noise so my house doesnt feel eere. I tend to either be on the internet or catching up on books i've bought and haven't read. That alone will keep me occupied til i'm 90.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
No t.v. channels for me, either. My daughter and I each have one in our room for watching DVDs, but I don't use it that much.

A bonus is not having my daughter watch these inane shows and then catch the commercials with the "latest" toy that she "must have." I don't have to worry about that anymore. She develops her own interests without the influence of Disney Channel or Nickleodeon.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
I have not watched TV on a regular basis in 7 years. I have a very nice TV that my landlord gave me to watch DVDs on but other then that it stays off. I house/pet set for a lot of friends so I can get a fix then if I need one. Now that Star Trek, Highlander, Star Gate are off the air not much worth watching every week.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I'm not a big fan of TV, and never miss it when I don't have it. I currently have basic channels because it made my internet cheaper... but honestly, I only watch the "On Demand" channel that has all the movies and such on it for free.
I do miss the History and Smithsonian channels however...

Mike in Seattle

I'd say, easily 80% of the time here that the TV's on, it's on TCM with classic movies, or BBCAmerica, with a small amount of time on History Channel or Learning Channel. There are a limited number of cable series (Mad Men, True Blood, Big Love) that one or the other of us watches. Ditto on catching an occasional recent movie on HBO or the like. The rest of time it's on, it's for watching DVDs, or more rarely, a videotape.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
And my television is 25 years old...

I haven't been a regular TV watcher for almost 15 years, and don't regret it much. (The last shows that I really followed every week were It's a Different World, and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air; go figure!) My tube viewing is pretty much limited to VHS and DVD offerings, and that's mostly old movies. For a while, I was regularly tuning in to Welcome to Mars, but then got tired with the time slot. Last summer, I did watch old sci-fi and horror films on channel 56 almost every Saturday night, as well as episodes of Hogan's Heroes. When I do, out of curiousity, briefly look at a program, I am usually struck at how much production has changed over the last 15 years, and how American society is often unrealistically portrayed (almost complete absence of immigrant labor, adultery seen as the norm in marriages, a very heterogenous white collar work force etc.). I just recently hooked up my digital convertor box, and am glad that I can receive an all-day movie channel, as well as extra PBS channels, but still haven't watched but a few minutes of anything.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have not had a t.v. in three years and I can say that I do not miss it. I have my cpu, I read books, garden, journal, hang out with friends and take mini road trips, go walking or hiking and in the winter I like to knit.

Brooksie

kyda

One of the Regulars
We have certain programs that we watch, we record them if we are not home but it has now got to the stage that we have about 3 weeks worth of programs to watch and no time to watch them!!!!!!!!

Talbot

One Too Many
Mad Men third series goes to air in the US on Aug 16. Thats about all I'd want TV for, although I do enjoy the aerial scenery on the Tour de France.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
My place doesn't even have an ariel... that suits me fine though but i do have an xbox360 an other gamey stuffs.... now all i need to is build a wooden case for it!

davestlouis

Practically Family
Wife and kids are out of town, the 54 inch big screen hasn't even been turned on since they left. The only TV on in the house has animal planet on, for Filbert, the Boston Terrier who is soothed by having it on when he is in his room.I get bored with TV shows, and wander off within 5 minutes of it starting. Movies also bore me, my wife claims I have ADD in the worst way, that's why I can't watch TV or movies.

billysmom

One Too Many
We have three large parrots who live in the same room as the TV (Double yellowhead amazon, molluccan cockatoo, harlequin macaw). They have a rule: nothing can be louder than they are. So whoever wants to watch TV must wear headphones. That's my husband - who also controls the remote;) . So in the 16 years we've had parrots I haven't watched TV. I don't miss it, either!

I do catch the news while working out early in the morning at our fitness center at work, though ...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
I get bored with TV shows, and wander off within 5 minutes of it starting. Movies also bore me, my wife claims I have ADD in the worst way, that's why I can't watch TV or movies.

That sounds like my father. I don't think he's ever sat through a whole football game (is there a slower-moving sport?). He rarely likes movies and can't stand most shows, except for Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

You say ADD, I say "would rather be doing something."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo