Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has Hotel recommendations for Chicago and New Orleans?

Don't know anything about Chicago, but have spent a little time in New Orleans. Business or pleasure? Lots of good hotels there, depending on how close you want to the craziness of the Quarter. I recently stayed at the Royal Sonesta and enjoyed it. It's in the Quarter, right on Bourbon Street, but it was plenty quiet in the hotel. It has a jazz bar in the hotel, and of course there are lots of bars and restaurants within a few steps, some of them quite nice. Hotel Monteleone is another classic hotel, and home to the famous Carousel Bar. As for bars without a hotel, the bar at Arnaud's is pretty good.

WendiJean

New in Town
The Olivier House in the quarter is wonderful! It's the only hotel I will stay at. You can get a balcony overlooking Bourbon, but since its just off of Bourbon not deal with all the noise. Their customer service has always been great as well. Good memories of that hotel....my last son was born 9 months after we visited....we named him Oliver ;)
http://olivierhousehotel.com/

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
For Chicago, try out Longman and Eagle tavern. It's one of the city's best pubs, with extremely reasonable whiskey prices, and just happens to rent out a suite of rooms above the dining floor. The food is upscale without being pretentious. The room comes with preferential restaurant seating which is useful because wait times are long right now.

Best part is that a Blue Line CTA stop is right on Longman and Eagle's doorstep, which makes it easy to go all over the city.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
The Royal Sonesta has a burlesque/blues show on Friday and Saturday nights. Really good show. It's right across from a nice cafe that sells the best beignets, even better than Cafe Dumonde in my opinion. Ive stayed at the St. Louis hotel and several others. So many of the hotels are historic so you can't really go wrong. Hotel Monteleone, another historic hotel, has a spinning bar. You are sitting at the bar and it is like a carousel, it spins, albeit very slowly. Check it out.

The Royal Sonesta has a burlesque/blues show on Friday and Saturday nights. Really good show. It's right across from a nice cafe that sells the best beignets, even better than Cafe Dumonde in my opinion.

Cafe Beignet. It is indeed excellent. I like Cafe Dumonde, but it's just always so crowded. I don't see the joy in waiting an hour or two for a powdered doughnut. However, Cafe Dumonde is open 24 hours, so there is that late-night thing going for it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Pump Room in Chicago is a must for Golden Era fans. It is located in what was the Ambassador East (since rebranded) where loads of Hollywood stars stayed when switching trains when traveling from NY to LA. Bogie and Bacal honeymooned there. A myriad of photos of famous guests adorn the walls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner