Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has the best leather?

crk

New in Town
Hello all, I'm new to this site. I was wondering what the opinion is on the best leather in terms of color, tanning and grain. I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm looking for something in the $500-700 price range. I have a US a A-2 and Aero A-2. The US a fits like a glove but after 5 years heavy wear still looks brand new. The Aero has a great patina after 2 years but it's uncomfortable in the shoulders so I've worn it maybe a dozen times if that. So what companies jacket would be the best cross of US a and an Aero A-2?

morrison2951

Practically Family
Tough question and everybody has their own opinion. For me, I'm a Vanson horsehide fan myself- it's just right. IMO Aero FQHH is too thick and heavy.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just remember that almost all leather is imported, the Middle East (Pakistan) being the primary supplier.

thor

Call Me a Cab
This could lead right back to top-grain/full-grain and vegetable/chrome tanning discussions!

crk

New in Town
Does anyone know anything about the Steve McColgan jackets? The steer hide looks pretty good in the site pictures, it also says they are on sale for $ 499 right now.

zhz

Practically Family
For A2 jacket, I would go for Aero Leather or Bill Kelso House A2 in your price range. I personally dont like most cheap US Made repro because their pattern is boxy.

Leather quality, there is no way to answer it because this is really depends on what kind of leather you want.

Edward

Bartender
With different A2s fitting you differently, I think this may be a cut issue as much as one of hide. I know I csn fit a later vontract repro from Aero in a 42, but for early war I'd have to go to a 44, maybe a 46 in some contracts. There's no single A2 fit, even from one manufacturer (assuming they do a range of patterns).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just remember that almost all leather is imported, the Middle East (Pakistan) being the primary supplier.

Huh? Some goat, sure. But leather is also sourced around the world including China, Brazil, North America, New Zealand and European countries. But where it comes from doesn't make or break it. How it is tanned or processed is the key factor and some of the best tanneries are in Europe.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Does anyone know anything about the Steve McColgan jackets? The steer hide looks pretty good in the site pictures, it also says they are on sale for $ 499 right now.
I have been looking for a mid priced A-2 for a while now. Having 'screened' almost all of the players, I have opted for one of these in chocolate. So far, they have been great to deal with. One thing that 'sold' me was that they made up the jacket to my measurements at no additional cost (custom lengths)... AND theres a no quibble return policy.
They seem passionate and particular about their jackets and have been around for quite a while.
All the A-2 details seem to be there, they look pretty good and I have been assured they are a true athletic pattern, not baggy etc...
At that price one could get a seal AND a russet jacket for far less than than one premium jacket, that may or may not even be as good as expected.
I don't expect GW perfection (may be surprised ;)), but hope to receive a good quality, good fitting and authentic enough looking jacket.
Watch this space, will post pics and review when it arrives.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I have a bit of a weakness for Schott naked cowhide in black and good old Aero heavy FQHH in brown. A2 wise I think.... I like russet or seal goat once it's been really broken in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran