Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Here Has Switched To the 'No-Poo' Method??

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I tried No Poo for about six months a few years ago, using baking soda to wash followed by a vinegar rinse, and it worked really well for me. I only needed to wash my hair once every four or five days, and the natural curl came out a lot. I only stopped because some life changes got in the way, I was travelling a lot and I reverted to the easiest option for getting through airport security. Explaining what baking soda was doing in my suitcase seemed like more hassle than it was worth!

Really should go back to No Poo. I don't have a single good reason not to.

hahahaha yea i could see how that would be a bit funny to explain to airport security hahahaha :p but if you have the ability to i totally agree you should switch back :) its a great method for vintage styles too!:)

jazzcleopatra

New in Town
I tried this, years ago, since I have natural ( a.k.a. afro, no relaxer ) African American hair. It did not agree with me. Some swear by it and I have seen beautiful hair that thrives on it. I just do better with shampooing regularly. I do however "co-wash" daily when I choose to wear my hair in its naturally coily state ( instead of a blowdry + flat iron or wet set ), but I still shampoo every four days to start with a fresh canvas. My hair styles better and my scalp is happier when I shampoo every few days.

On a side note I am on a hair forum where someone is experimenting with using only rosewater, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, and her natural hair oil ( sebum ) only. It is very interesting and I see how it works in theory. Her hair looks good but I am just not sure I could get into getting use to the smell ( which she says is just "earthy" once you adjust to it ) and the fact that you have to go pretty basic as far as styles are concerned. She lets the oil build up for awhile and brushes it down the length of her hair. She only washes with the apple cider vinegar, moisturizes with the rosewater, and styles with the aloe vera. Refreshingly simple. I am not that simple, but maybe someone else could benefit from her approach.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Noooo..... just the cheapest big bottle of supermarket own-brand shampoo I could find..... I'm sure that's got nothing to do with why I went bald...

hahahaha those cheap brands can cause alot problems with hair hahaha they should do long term studies to see if it causes balding hahaha just kidding hahaha

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I tried this, years ago, since I have natural ( a.k.a. afro, no relaxer ) African American hair. It did not agree with me. Some swear by it and I have seen beautiful hair that thrives on it. I just do better with shampooing regularly. I do however "co-wash" daily when I choose to wear my hair in its naturally coily state ( instead of a blowdry + flat iron or wet set ), but I still shampoo every four days to start with a fresh canvas. My hair styles better and my scalp is happier when I shampoo every few days.

On a side note I am on a hair forum where someone is experimenting with using only rosewater, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, and her natural hair oil ( sebum ) only. It is very interesting and I see how it works in theory. Her hair looks good but I am just not sure I could get into getting use to the smell ( which she says is just "earthy" once you adjust to it ) and the fact that you have to go pretty basic as far as styles are concerned. She lets the oil build up for awhile and brushes it down the length of her hair. She only washes with the apple cider vinegar, moisturizes with the rosewater, and styles with the aloe vera. Refreshingly simple. I am not that simple, but maybe someone else could benefit from her approach.

hahaha even-though i don't have African American hair i still love the hair techniques used like buku knots for example and braid outs so I read allot of natural hair forums, iv herd allot of girls on some of the websites use Bentonite clay hair masks instead off 'no-poo' method, they say it worked better for their hair type :) iv used the bentonite clay hair mask on my and loved it, so maybe that would be something you want to give a try :)

lframe

One of the Regulars
I've got a friend who does the no-poo method and I only wash twice a week and am working down to once a week. I'm going to test the no-poo metmethod this summer :)

jazzcleopatra

New in Town
Did you mean bantu knots? If so, I love setting my hair with those for waves. I'm happy with shampoo. I've tried the clay cleansing and was not fond of it. There are some horrible traditional shampoos, but I just stick to simple and gentle and have no adverse effects. I use hot oil treatments to actually do most of the cleansing and balance my oil level. So shampoo is more about cleansing off the excess oil and refreshing my scalp. I think of the hot oil treatment as kind of like cold cream for my hair, except it's warm, and shampoo as toner, if that makes sense.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Did you mean bantu knots? If so, I love setting my hair with those for waves. I'm happy with shampoo. I've tried the clay cleansing and was not fond of it. There are some horrible traditional shampoos, but I just stick to simple and gentle and have no adverse effects. I use hot oil treatments to actually do most of the cleansing and balance my oil level. So shampoo is more about cleansing off the excess oil and refreshing my scalp. I think of the hot oil treatment as kind of like cold cream for my hair, except it's warm, and shampoo as toner, if that makes sense.

hahaha i like the comparison of the cold cream and the hot oil treatment! :) hahaha im really glad to hear that the hot oil keeps the shampoo from drying your hair and keeps it healthy! :) and yes haha Bantu haha im a horrid speller haha thank goodness for spell check hahahahaha :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've no pooed for about a year and a half. I went from washing my hair every other day to washing my hair once a week with baking soda and doing a water-only wash once a week (when I remember). I was trying to get to the point where my hair would not need the second water only wash, but I could never stretch it far enough.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I've no pooed for about a year and a half. I went from washing my hair every other day to washing my hair once a week with baking soda and doing a water-only wash once a week (when I remember). I was trying to get to the point where my hair would not need the second water only wash, but I could never stretch it far enough.

its sound like you are doing everything very correct deary! :) haha your hair will get to the point where it wont need the second wash, it will just take a bit more time, but you'll get there! :)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I'm curious what kind of effects this method has on hair color. I tried it before I started coloring my hair again and it worked phenomenally. However, now I do my hair red it sounds like it would be gentle, but I'm concerned that it might cause an off reaction or strip the color faster, so I'm a little afraid to go back to it. Any ideas?

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I don't wash my hair daily, but in between I do use a hair powder and spray on refresher.
I have used baking soda and ACV as a prewash hair clarifying agent, but not as an out right replacement for shampoo. Today, I used my regular shampoo, but only used ACV as a clarifying rinse and conditioner. So far so good. Next time I will try just the baking soda and ACV.

Antje

One Too Many
I tried to twice, but I didn't like it, I wash my hair now whit a normal shampoo and my redcolored shampoo is a sulfatefree one so that is maybe better for the stripping of the hair, but I love to lather

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I'm curious what kind of effects this method has on hair color. I tried it before I started coloring my hair again and it worked phenomenally. However, now I do my hair red it sounds like it would be gentle, but I'm concerned that it might cause an off reaction or strip the color faster, so I'm a little afraid to go back to it. Any ideas?

just be careful with the vinegar rinse, it can effect hair color weird, use organic vodka instead :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I tried to twice, but I didn't like it, I wash my hair now whit a normal shampoo and my redcolored shampoo is a sulfatefree one so that is maybe better for the stripping of the hair, but I love to lather

just wondering deary how long did you stick to it when you tried it? and did you do back and forth between it and normal shampoo, that may have been the reasons for your dissatisfaction :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I don't wash my hair daily, but in between I do use a hair powder and spray on refresher.
I have used baking soda and ACV as a prewash hair clarifying agent, but not as an out right replacement for shampoo. Today, I used my regular shampoo, but only used ACV as a clarifying rinse and conditioner. So far so good. Next time I will try just the baking soda and ACV.
just remember to give your hair 2 weeks to get adjusted to the new method :)

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
just remember to give your hair 2 weeks to get adjusted to the new method :)
Will do. :)
I have to say I am impressed with the result of ACV as a conditioner. My hair is gleaming with shine and I swear it's not as frizzy as before. I did follow up with my usual styling products, but I used those before and still had more frizz and not as much shine.

lareine

A-List Customer
just be careful with the vinegar rinse, it can effect hair color weird, use organic vodka instead :)
I've used vodka to remove black hair dye from skin in the past. It is very effective, and very harsh. There's no way I'd use it on my hair in any capacity, especially if my hair is dyed.

And, honestly, if I'm paying some extortionate price for organic vodka the least I can do is drink it!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner