Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Henry Fonda?

Feraud

Bartender
Roger said:
The actors today are "marketing ads". George Clooney, Brad Pitt are superficial pretty boys. Their acting has no depth or truth, very sophmoric, more reminescent of high school plays than anything worthwhile.
Actors of every generation are marketing ads. Whether they market the roaring 20's, anti-establishment 60's or excessive 80's. The marketing machine will always choose someone who represents what someone wants represented. Clooney and Pitt have made some decent, entertaining movies. I am sure we can point to many films of past that were of little depth and truth. The most we can hope for from actors is they develop their craft and their films reflect it. Clooney is not cashing in on his looks with films like Syriana or Good Night and Good Luck regardless if you think they are good films or not. I doubt Pitt is riding shirtless and bareback on a horse waving his golden locks around in Babel.
I have seen these two develop as actors over the years unlike guys like Stallone, Cruise, or Schwarzenegger who do same tired routine over and over. Do we really need another Rocky or Die Hard film??? lol

Roger

A-List Customer
I agree that we don't need another Die Hard or Rocky. But, I would like to have another film like The Wrong Man, Yours Mine and Ours, Mister Roberts without all the pretty boy hype. (ie Ocean's 11 and 12 which is no way as classy as the original as was the remake of Your Mine and Ours):eek:

Feraud

Bartender
Roger said:
I agree that we don't need another Die Hard or Rocky. But, I would like to have another film like The Wrong Man, Yours Mine and Ours, Mister Roberts without all the pretty boy hype. (ie Ocean's 11 and 12 which is no way as classy as the original as was the remake of Your Mine and Ours):eek:
Agreed! Hang in there, I think better films are on the horizon. At least I hope so...[huh] ;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Three Kings" is not a "pretty boy" movie, and "Intolerable Cruelty" is no better or worse than any number of vintage romantic comedies.

Give credit where credit is due.

Roger

A-List Customer
carebear said:
"Three Kings" is not a "pretty boy" movie, and "Intolerable Cruelty" is no better or worse than any number of vintage romantic comedies.

Give credit where credit is due.

Three Kings?:rolleyes: Hmmmm those guys didn't look like tough Marines in real life. It takes more than dirt on the face and blown dry hair to be tought.:D Intolerable Cruelty? Well, hell, did a pretty boy play in that? I was only looking at Catherine Zeta Jones.lol

Now some people say that in real life Fonda was arrogant, aloof and angry. I could beleive that since he burned through five wives. But, his characters in films were beleivable. Today's actors are a mess both on and off screen.:eek:

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Fonda's

Well...

Belive it or not, a branch of the Fonda family literally lived 5 houses down from me, in Omaha. And yes it was the Fonda family. And no, there isn't a modern actor whom is "equal" to Henry Fonda.

Roger

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Agreed! Hang in there, I think better films are on the horizon. At least I hope so...[huh] ;)
Well, we're not going to find it in the theater. I just took the wife to see Jersey Boys last night and every other word was the "f" explecitive. :eek: You'd think that was the first word young babies from New Jersey to Boston learned.:rage:

carebear

Roger said:
You'd think that was the first word young babies from New Jersey to Boston learned.:rage:

Walked by the playgrounds of Queens, in the "nice" areas lately? Or heard Southies from Dorchester on the bus?

I don't think, for movies showing lower middle class kids, that statement is really false. I'm a rube from the sticks and all but I was surprised how young and unintelligibly vulger a lot of those kids were. At least the ones who self-identify as "tough" guys and girls.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
What a silly question. There is no Henry Fonda of yesterday,today, or tomorrow other than Henry Fonda himself. Who is todays Moses? Who is today's Abraham Lincoln? Who is today's Babe Ruth? Who cares?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
MudInYerEye said:
What a silly question. There is no Henry Fonda of yesterday,today, or tomorrow other than Henry Fonda himself. Who is todays Moses? Who is today's Abraham Lincoln? Who is today's Babe Ruth? Who cares?

Bingo.

carebear

I think as much as each of those individuals came to embody a "type" it is valid to ask if there are any others fall into that "type".

When we list the attributes of Lincoln, which appear to make him different from his contemporaries, we can attempt then to find others who embody substantially similar attributes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner