Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Steve McQueen?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Watched The Great Escape past night and I ask my wife and daughter (both movie junkies) which one(s) of today's actors, if any, is comparable to Steve McQueen in his day in terms of the "cool" factor. The only one I can think of is Jeremy Renner and I am not she he's as "cool" as McQueen.

JDG

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think Daniel Craig might be the closest actor to Steve McQueen there is today. He even looks a little bit like him. Craig is "cool" because of his association with James Bond, and I like some of the styles he wore in the movies.

McQueen was cooler than the rest for what he did off screen as well as on screen.
Riding & racing motorcycles, etc. Do insurance companies even let today's talent do some that stuff?
Having seen Renner in Avengers & The Town, I'd give him my vote....

Feraud

Bartender
Renner and Craig fit the mold.
I'll submit Clive Owen. The guy was as cool as a cucumber in Sin City.
Those BMW short films were great too.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have not been a fan of any of the post-Connery Bond actors, but Craig is probably the least offensive. However, McQueen didn't just act cool, he was cool and that's where today's actors seem to come up short.

Edward

Bartender
Macqueen also had his less than pleasant side off-camera (he was, after all, only human). Maybe a little Russell Crowe in the mix?

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
There is no Steve McQueen of today. Just as there is no Bogart of today. Steve McQueen was cool personified on screen and off. I do not see anyone in today's crop of actors who can match up to him.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were both cool actors, each one cool in their own way. One was the King of Cool, the other Cool Hand Luke. No one today is very much like these actors.

I think the rose colored glasses of history are clouding this for some. The world isn't the same today, and if McQueen were in his prime today, he'd not be the same guy.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
Personally I do not like to try to compare actors from different eras. Each era has it's hallmark films. Can you imagine a remake of Casablanca even close to the original? How about a reboot of Indiana Jones? I do not think so, so it is with actors. Can we not simply enjoy the actor for who they are and the roles they bring to the screen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav