Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is Your Beauty Muse?

Jeynne

New in Town
Rita Hayworth.

I was watching Gilda with my father a few weeks ago, and he actually asked me if she was supposed to be pretty, because he doesn't she is. I just gave him a look.

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
For me it has to be Gina Lollobrigida in 'Beautiful But Dangerous'. Seeing her in this film first inspired me into corsetry. Just that great scene of her duelling with swords with another woman in all her tight-laced glory, what a role model! Say has anyone see those photo of Ms Von Teese in her erly days as a Playboy model? Ugh! So glad she saw the light and ditched the blonde bimbo look, she would have never made her fortune otherwise.

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Yes Eva, I can certainly see the influence, you have her smile! By the way it was Sarah who showed me the photos of a very young Ms Von Teese! Both of user recently bought the burlesque book, sarah for the styling, me for the corsetry - not that you need a book about it Miss Lizzy ;-)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eyeliner

Since high school, I've emulated Jean Shrimpton, Brigitte Bardot, Nico and Catherine Deneuve, but it always comes back to the eyeliner of Nancy Sinatra.
848102_170x170.jpg

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Let us not forget the Beautiful Ann Margaret. I loved her in Swingers.

btw... Pandora.... fyi Dita is a natural blonde and dies her hair dark. No biggie, just thought you'd want to know. I love that she gives us brunettes a leg up in the glam leagues. Especially for that femme fatel look.

Etienne

A-List Customer
AirborneSally said:
Oh, my Muse is Vera Ellen! She is amazing, not in to many movies but I just love her. She was in White Christmas with Bing, Rosemarry, and Danny Kaye. Anyone else know who she is?

AirborneSally, could that woman dance or WHAT?! And what an amazingly toned, athletic, feminine, sexy shape she had!

Etienne

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
Don't feel badly! You didn't say anything negative, just that she looked too thin - which she did, for now obvious reasons.

Apparently she dealt with anorexia for quite a while, through most of the 1950s I've read.

I had no idea she struggled with anorexia! I have only seen her in that one movie (White Christmas) and thought she was thin because she was such a powerful dancer! I just assumed that was her normal weight and size...TEENY!

lindylady

A-List Customer
I'm going to have to watch White Christmas again. I didn't even pick up on that. I guess I was just focusing on Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby :eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me , Catherine Denueve circa 1965, comes close to perfection. She has been called "the most beautiful woman in the world" and I really think she was! What I like most about her then ,was that her physical beauty was not at the mercy of anything .... hers was a beauty classically perfect... the very image of romantic beauty.

Liz

HadleyH said:
For me , Catherine Denueve circa 1965, comes close to perfection. She has been called "the most beautiful woman in the world" and I really think she was! What I like most about her then ,was that her physical beauty was not at the mercy of anything .... hers was a beauty classically perfect... the very image of romantic beauty.

I completely agree with this. I've been a big fan of hers for years and would say she is without question one of the most beautiful stars of all time. She still looks great today as well!

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
princessofcandl said:
Let us not forget the Beautiful Ann Margaret. I loved her in Swingers.

btw... Pandora.... fyi Dita is a natural blonde and dies her hair dark. No biggie, just thought you'd want to know. I love that she gives us brunettes a leg up in the glam leagues. Especially for that femme fatel look.

Yes I am aware of this fact, that doesn't mean she necessarily looks good in her 'natural state' ;-) I regret that I too am a natural blonde and it doesn't do a thing for me either ;-(

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I suppose when I was younger I focused in more on modern women - specifically Liv Tyler (one of the best compliments I've ever had was that I looked like her. I don't, at all, but still all good!)
Now I'll definatly say Dita - but the whole package - the hair, the clothes, the makeup and her refined attitude are definatly something to aspire to.
I also I love all the pictures I have of my grandma - I only other redhead in the family, plus she had a wardrobe to die for. Unfortunatly when she passed away I only keep a few things as I wasn't so much in vintage, plus she was tiny!
I would say I'm mainly influenced by burlesque artistes, old and new, and any redhead immediately grabs my attention!

Sunny

One Too Many
lindylady said:
I'm going to have to watch White Christmas again. I didn't even pick up on that. I guess I was just focusing on Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby :eek:

You're getting your movies mixed up - it's Holiday Inn (my favorite of the two) with Fred and Bing. White Chrismas is Bing and Danny Kaye, yum! And if you like Vera Ellen, you must see her in "Wonder Man," also with The Danny. She's definitely not anorexic in it - such a cutie! She has these amazing red dance shoes that are pointe ballet shoes with taps. AMAZING! :eusa_clap

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My beauty muses are all those spectacular women of the 1930s! I adore Kay Francis, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, and Joan Blondell. These ladies have inspired my makeup and hairstyles. I wish I could dress more like them, but that would be impossible for me.

When I was a kid I loved Marilyn Monroe. I kept a scrapbook (that I still have!) and seriously thought she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. I used to stay up late and pretend I was her by putting on glam makeup and wraping myself up in this furry bedspread that we used to have! Good times.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
My ultimate beauty muse is a lady I'm sure most don't know about sadly. She is Maude Fealy, a rather famous Edwardian actress, who did make a foray into movies, but for whatever reason never really hit it off. To me, she is nothing short of breath-taking, with thick, luxuriant hair, the deepest, most soulful eyes, soft, round, healthy features, and just a radiance that was completely natural.
1532.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran