Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your favorite "forgotten singer"?

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Pauline Byrne!

Earlier I asked you Gents and Laidies if you could help me find more songs preformed by "Pauline Byrne" (I was and still is terribly in love with her).

Guess what happened?

I stumbled across a geeky forum (like this :p ) about online games.
And here some hardcore onlinegamer claims that his GRANDMOTHER in fact was Pauline Byrne! I have now contacted him and, well see what happens!

Im soooo exited! :D :D :D :D :D

from the forum www.got-next.com/:

"I know some of you've seen/heard this before, but the got next folks haven't. It's a real player song but it's my grandmother and it's wicked and I just listened to it for the first time in a while this morning.

It is a famous singer. Her name is Pauline Byrne and she did a lot in the 30's and early 40's. I have other songs with her and my grandfather with Nat King Cole, the Starlighters, and The Air Crew....although I do like their own stuff in a group called Six Hits and a Miss. This song is just cool, imo.

To answer your question, bypassing your foolishness....Yes, Billie Holiday also sang that song....as did many other people after my grandmother who sang it after someone else.

Here's where I got the link from....you can listen to the lyrics or read them. If you look at the list of singers, Billie Holiday is right under Artie Shaw and my grandmother. "

K

kpreed

Martha Tilton

I really like the singers of the 1940's and Martha Tilton is one of my top people. I have over two hours of her work and listen to her very,very often.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Hey Spitfire! Jeg har det forrygende.

:eek:fftopic: Just a quick note spitty. Its late my friend :D

The gals and guys of the Lounge in L.A. were really nice and looked after me.
But sadly (and good) im back in Denmark to work and get some dough, so i can go back for a third strafe round. Living in LA. almost with no income is tough. Are you copenhagen guys getting together for a christmas thing perhaps? Would be so nice to meet yall again.

Lars

coldcaseman

New in Town
Pauline Byrne

Hammelby said:
Earlier I asked you Gents and Laidies if you could help me find more songs preformed by "Pauline Byrne" (I was and still is terribly in love with her).

Guess what happened?

I stumbled across a geeky forum (like this :p ) about online games.
And here some hardcore onlinegamer claims that his GRANDMOTHER in fact was Pauline Byrne! I have now contacted him and, well see what happens!

Im soooo exited! :D :D :D :D :D

from the forum www.got-next.com/:

"I know some of you've seen/heard this before, but the got next folks haven't. It's a real player song but it's my grandmother and it's wicked and I just listened to it for the first time in a while this morning.

It is a famous singer. Her name is Pauline Byrne and she did a lot in the 30's and early 40's. I have other songs with her and my grandfather with Nat King Cole, the Starlighters, and The Air Crew....although I do like their own stuff in a group called Six Hits and a Miss. This song is just cool, imo.

To answer your question, bypassing your foolishness....Yes, Billie Holiday also sang that song....as did many other people after my grandmother who sang it after someone else.

Here's where I got the link from....you can listen to the lyrics or read them. If you look at the list of singers, Billie Holiday is right under Artie Shaw and my grandmother. "
Pauline was my great aunt, and was a very nice lady. She lived in the Hoquiam, Washington area before she went to California and was the "Miss" in Six Hits and a Miss. She had a great voice, but the groups rise ended when two of the Hits went to war, although she was in the Starlighters for a time. Six Hits and a Miss did hold the record for the longest title for a song with "Would you rather be a colonel with an eagle on your shoulder, or a private with a chicken on your knee?". They were on Bob Hope's Pepsident Radio show for quite awhile, and they recorded "Thanks for the Memories" before Hope made it famous. Her recording of "Gloomy Sunday" was pulled from the shelves, because it was linked to a number of suicides. A number of artists have recorded it over the years, and I understand it was originally called the Polish suicide song. You can see Pauline in several movies like "The Big Store" with the Marx Brothers, "The big boradcast of 1938" with W.C. Fields, and " Down Argentine Way" with Don Ameche. I am so glad people still enjoy her voice.

Chas

One Too Many
On my radio show, I play two Pauline Byrne songs that she recorded with Artie Shaw. "Don't Fall Asleep" swings like mad. And "Gloomy Sunday", which, IMHO is the best particular version of that song, from a vocal and instrumental POV.

My favorite forgotten/overlooked singers are:

Lee Wiley (one of the finest voices of early jazz)
Lee Wiley

Maxine Sullivan

Herb Jeffries (last of the 40's Duke Ellington Orchestra still living). He still preforms!

Herb Jeffries

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Listening to some Jan Savitt broadcasts recently reminded me of just how good a singer Carlotta Dale was -- somewhat similar to Bea Wain, but with a bit more substance. And Savitt's male vocalist, George "Bon Bon" Tunnell, was pretty darn good too.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Pauline Byrne!

coldcaseman said:
Pauline was my great aunt, and was a very nice lady. She lived in the Hoquiam, Washington area before she went to California and was the "Miss" in Six Hits and a Miss.

Coldcaseman, welcome on the Fedora Lounge!
I am guessing that you are the same man or the father of the chap
that i e-mailed with? What a wonderfull voice, I actually found this youtube clip where she sings some bars beginning on the timecode 1:09. Is that Pauline?

"Who's Yehodi":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwla4mQt9ws

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of my favorite LPs as a teen was the Complete Fats Waller, 1934-35 Bluebird reissue -- one of the all time great reissue projects. He not only made some great 78s, he made a *lot* of them -- of all the hundreds of his recordings I've heard, I've never heard a dud. And they still make me laugh out loud.

Feraud

Bartender
Fats is a great entertainer and talent.

I was just reading where Muddy Water was quoted as saying how as a young man he listened to Fats Waller on the phonograph. Can you believe a Chicago style blues legend listening to a popular entertiner like Fats?
It can make us reconsider our idols, their influences, and ideas of popular music. Sorry to go off topic! lol

coldcaseman

New in Town
Hammelby said:
Coldcaseman, welcome on the Fedora Lounge!
I am guessing that you are the same man or the father of the chap
that i e-mailed with? What a wonderfull voice, I actually found this youtube clip where she sings some bars beginning on the timecode 1:09. Is that Pauline?

"Who's Yehodi":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwla4mQt9ws
I'm not the same one you e-mailed, but it's one of my relatives I believe. Yes, I believe that is her. I had never seen Varsity Vanities before. At timecode 00:40 is Jimmy Dodd, who went on to heading up the Mickey Mouse Club on TV. Find "The Big Store" with the Marx Brothers. There is a great shot of Pauline and the 6 Hits singing on the elevator (early day Muzak, I guess).

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
One of my favorites, whom I don't think has been mentioned in this thread, is Jeri Southern. She has a lovely, slightly smoky voice and an understated style.

Her career spanned from the late 1940s to the early '60s, when she retired from performing.

A number of her records are available on CD, but there's a lovely collection, The Very Thought of You: Decca Recordings 1951-57, that serves as an especially nice introduction to her work.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Not sure if she was forgotten, but Anita O'Day doesn't get nearly the attention her work deserves. Jackie and Roy are also a great, overlooked duo.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Jo Stafford

She's not mentioned in this thread as far as I can tell, maybe because she isn't obscure. Sinatra called her the most in-tune singer on the planet (except when she was doing her off-key comedy songs) and nobody sings the war love songs like her - I'll Be Seeing You; I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen; etc. There is a three CD set that is worth getting; and "GI Jo" is a great compilation of the wartime standards.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Helen Kane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Kane

kanepic19.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112