Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Owns A Goorin

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Dave McCone said:
the sizing is small/med/large/xl. I wear a 7 1/4 / 58cm, so I'm inbetween sizes; the large size appears to be equivalent to a 59 / 7 3/8.
The Goorin website http://www.goorin.com/hat-sizing states"Large (approximately 59 cm *23 inches = 7 3/8)".However,I have heard that Goorin hats run kind of small.I'm a size 7 3/8 /59cm.But instead of getting a large I might order an x-large.I'm considering this because I heard Goorin hats run rather tight.Of course,I may have heard wrong.
If Goorin does run small perhaps there might be a chance that a large might fit you.It might be more like your size of 7 1/4 / 58cm.Did you get a chance to try on a Goorin in size large?

Dave McCone

New in Town
Goorin hat sizes

I tried on several of the large size hats at the Seattle Goorin store, and I'm a fairly true 58 - they were all too big. So -- a 59 sounds about right for a Goorin size large.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I've tried on a lot of different Goorin hats and none of them fit my head. The XL is just a bit too snug and usually too small in overall stature.
I wear a 7 5/8 New Era 59/50 Cap.
A 62 or slightly stretched 61 Akubra.

It's too bad, because I like a lot of their hats.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AlterEgo said:
I threw up a thread a few months ago asking about the quality of Goorin and other "edgy" hats, but the reception was cool: People here don't go for such fashion hats. Apparently, some do, so thanks for the responses.

I've owned my share of stingy brims, including some Wal-Mart fare (black cotton club hat), as well as a few cheap straw/paper stingies. The cotton lid was, ironically, thrown on top of the vintage Hotel Randolph in Des Moines by accident (long story). The other two straw/paper lids were destroyed over short periods of wear.

With the Lounge being more focused on Golden Era style, you see less stingy brims, and more high crown, fur felt fedoras. Also, I know the terms fashion and style have been split on older threads, and therefore "fashion" hats tend to get a cooler reception than hats of a particular style and era.

I don't think anyone would deride your taste, so much as defend their own. ;)

1961MJS

jbucklin said:
Oh yeah Neo, I've checked that one out many times. The one I was looking at is the Seaworthy:

http://www.goorin.com/hats/fedora/seaworthy

My wife refused to let me buy it though. She thought it looked too "pimpish".

Hi, at work, I set with a 60 plus year old Bass Player. He's a pilot, Engineer, and retired as a Navy Captain, but he lives and reacts as a bass player. Just establishing my bonifides.

You're a JAZZ MUSICIAN, you're not supposed to be like the other children, and now "pimpish" is a problem. Jeez... lol

Have fun.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Hey Randy, I agree with you. I have come close to ordering the Butch.

So, Mike, did you look at that Seaworthy? I still like it, and think it could work well for either the pimp or the jazz musician! ;)

1961MJS

jbucklin said:
Hey Randy, I agree with you. I have come close to ordering the Butch.

So, Mike, did you look at that Seaworthy? I still like it, and think it could work well for either the pimp or the jazz musician! ;)

Yep, I looked. I thought that Huggy Bear wore a lot more brim, and a lot bigger feathers. Definitely loud colors though.

Later

J.B.

Practically Family
I own a Pauly... It is the only wool fedora that I own and I really like wearing it!

And actually, Goorin Bros. have quite a long, interesting family history in hattery. Their vintage-style "duckbill" caps and their "cadet" caps are fun and extremely comfortable to wear!

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
I kind of like the Kingston and Gatsby, but that's about it...
I like the Kingston also.I wanted to order the Kingston but they only have small and medium.I ended up ordering the Coal.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Goorin's Sizing

BlackBrim said:
I read a review that stated Goorin hats run small.The review recommended buying one size larger than the usual size.Does that seem like a good idea?Are Goorin hats known to run small?

@BlackBrim - I know Goorin hats well. In terms of sizing there fedora's are pretty consistent and here are some tips on how the sizing usually runs:
Smalls - almost always run 56cm instead of 55cm which is what a small would usually be.
Mediums - run at 57cm so pretty accurate there. Some cases they run at 58cm, but most are right on the money.
Larges - right at 59cm where they should be.
Extra Larges - This is the most random size; sometimes xl's run at 60cm and sometimes 61cm.

The flat caps, Ivys, and Eight Quarters are not as consistent as the fedora's. Along the same lines basically but sometimes it can change from shape to shape a cm here and there.

Another note on Goorin: I think for the cut and sew look and for that type of hat Goorin makes the best in it's field. There is a lot of those styles out there in the hat world right now and I think the quality is always there with Goorin and the hats are well made. Especially for the price. I don't wear one myself because I like a little more of a traditional style, but the trimming on Goorin can't be beat. The 1333 Minna line is stunning for what it is, and the Royal Line they have is worth the upgrade from their core line for sure.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
SALMAGUNDI said:
@BlackBrim - I know Goorin hats well. In terms of sizing there fedora's are pretty consistent and here are some tips on how the sizing usually runs:
Smalls - almost always run 56cm instead of 55cm which is what a small would usually be.
Mediums - run at 57cm so pretty accurate there. Some cases they run at 58cm, but most are right on the money.
Larges - right at 59cm where they should be.
Extra Larges - This is the most random size; sometimes xl's run at 60cm and sometimes 61cm.
Thank you for all the detailed information on Goorin sizing.
Say,do you know if Goorin still makes leather hats?I remember seeing some for sale last year.There was one style made with brown leather called Goorin
Prince.I've been looking but I haven't found any Goorin hats in brown leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran