Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who repairs vintage knitwear?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
I have a number of collegiate knits from the 30s-50s, and man do they need some love :). Attaching a pic of a sample hole. They’re not all this big but this is what I’m dealing with.

I imagine there are some pros out there that people rely upon to fix such items. Are there indeed people that are well known for this? Anyone you'd recommend?

Bonus points if they're in Southern California as that would save on shipping, but I'd absolutely be willing to ship around the country if the work is superb and the price is right.

Thanks so much!

D09F637D-C07F-4869-AD33-0BAC2A1B21F5.jpeg

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Not sure what you mean. If “just let it slide,” that was one sample hole. Some of them have a bunch of these. They are unwearable at this point and need fixing.

Re: darn it, that’s what I’m asking. I obviously don’t know how to do this myself and it’s nothing a corner tailor can do so I was reaching out to see if there are any known pros at this.

There are a couple of outfits in this area that do that type of work and I've known them as and they refer to their services as "reweaving", such as Peggy's Reweaving which was a local business in Huntsville I remember my mother using years ago. They are no longer in business but I was able to find others locally. Here's an online co. I found doing a brief search.
https://www.knitweardoctor.com/reweaving-on-fabric

jackjofi

New in Town
There are definitely professionals who specialize in repairing vintage knits like your collegiate knits. One option is to look for local tailors or alterations shops that have experience with knit fabrics. You could also search for specialized knitwear repair services online. Some services that come to mind are Love Your Sweater, The Knitting Goddess, and The Repair Shop.

If you're looking for recommendations in Southern California specifically, you could try reaching out to vintage clothing shops or asking for referrals from local knitting or textile guilds. You could also check with local costume designers or wardrobe professionals who may have experience repairing vintage knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko