Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who was the ODDest person you ever knew?...

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Sounds like the sheltered ones need to spend some time in a big city. Weirdos are a dime a dozen in San Francisco. I actually like that, because no one CARES how odd you are. It's very liberating.

So true! Years ago, I had a friend living in NYC. There were so many odd street people, that it just no longer phased her. Once, she saw a rollerskating transvestite with a huge mohawk holding a sign that he needed $ for his hairspray addiction. She made a financial donation based solely on his creativity!

In my town, mothers would have dragged small children away and police would have stayed within visual range of a similar character.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
23SkidooWithYou said:
So true! Years ago, I had a friend living in NYC. There were so many odd street people

My mother wanted me to take her to Greenwich Village because she wanted to see for herself why I spent so much time there. I obliged. I drove my sister and my mother there one day.

She was so appalled by whatever she saw that she covered my sister's eyes with her hands and shouted, "don't look"!!!..

It was then that she became the odd person in NYC.........lol lol lol

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
:eek:fftopic:
I know most people like animals but it has been my experience that the more people are really into animals they seem to be less into people. Does anyone else find this to be true. Must be a trust factor for sure.
I have a SIL I love and she is amazing with all kinds of animals but not so comfortable at all around people.
A very good mother to her children though. They definitely got to have pets. lol

I think it's a defense mechanism to surround one's self with "safe" pet relationships instead of unpredictable human ones. You can avoid people, but you cannot avoid the basic human need for companionship so animals become the substitution.

I think there are people who know how to have and enjoy human relationships but choose to focus on animals for one reason or another. I probably fall into that category myself. I have healthy human relationships and I enjoy working with the public but tend to be a homebody who puts pets first and will always gravitate toward a stray dog and not give a stray human a second thought, lol.

Unfortunately, there is another type of person who just cannot relate to their own species and finds any attempt to do so absolutely overwhelming. We're talking no social skills and zero coping skills. Absolutely everything is focused on their animals or animals in general. I can tell you it is absolutely catastrophic when this type is faced with any health issue regarding their pet. The emotional reactions are unbelievably disproportionate to the situation. Can you imagine becoming hysterical and passing out because your vet asks to keep your cat for 12-24 hours to run some tests? Can you imagine denying your pet treatment because you won't allow it to be taken from the exam room (ie away from you) to the medical "staff only" treatment area? I see this much too frequently where I work. I feel bad for these people, worse for the animal who is the constant focus of that intense emotional energy. We had a dog who was soooo happy, playful, bouncy and curious about everything while in our care but the second it was in it's owners velcro arms it was like a zombie again. Very sad.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
She was so appalled by whatever she saw that she covered my sister's eyes with her hands and shouted, "don't look"!!!..

It was then that she became the odd person in NYC.........lol lol lol

LOL We must be related! My Mom used to make me take the aisle seat on the bus when going through Times Square...that was back in the vintage days when they had peep shows and "girls-girls-girls" barkers standing outside the establishments.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I know most people like animals but it has been my experience that the more people are really into animals they seem to be less into people. Does anyone else find this to be true.l

Nope. Not at all.

On the contrary, in my experience (leaving exceptions to the rule aside) I find that people who love animals also tend to be more kind to all human beings and to Nature in general... their love encompass a wider universe, that all :)

Carlisle Blues

Foofoogal said:
I know most people like animals but it has been my experience that the more people are really into animals they seem to be less into people. Does anyone else find this to be true.

That is an overly broad generalization. I find the opposite to be true. Those who can ignore a creature that loves unconditionally is the truly odd person. All being are related and interconnected, that is just the natural order of things.

The person who painstakingly provides food and water in the winter to birds, allows deer on their property as a safe place during hunting season and has their property declared a wildlife sanctuary would be considered an ODD person within the meaning of your definition. What if they are socially well adjusted and have a variety of interests are they ODD in addition to being balanced human beings as well?

What about the following are all of these people ODD who are not into people?

Here are a few of the celebrities who have given generously and/or worked tirelessly to promote the compassionate and humane treatment of all animals:

Audrey Hepburn also ambassador to UNICEF, Paul McCartney, Brigitte Bardot, Betty White, Doris Day, Isabella Rossellini, Shirley Jones, Tippi Hedren etc The list goes on.

Carlisle Blues

Paisley said:
I don't think FooFoo is saying that animal lovers are odd or unkind, just that some people prefer their furry friends.

Foofoogal said:
I know most people like animals but it has been my experience that the more people are really into animals they seem to be less into people. Does anyone else find this to be true. Must be a trust factor for sure.
I have a SIL I love and she is amazing with all kinds of animals but not so comfortable at all around people.
A very good mother to her children though. They definitely got to have pets. lol

Interpretation is in the mind of the beholder. Indeed, when I read her statement together with her example and I apply it to the spirit of the thread it naturally flows to support the position that she thinks people whom she spoke about are ODD..Why else would someone say that??.[huh] [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
The person who painstakingly provides food and water in the winter to birds, allows deer on their property as a safe place during hunting season and has their property declared a wildlife sanctuary would be considered an ODD person within the meaning of your definition. What if they are socially well adjusted and have a variety of interests are they ODD in addition to being balanced human beings as well?

good grief. I have never seen people get their panties in a wad so fast.
This above would basically describe me.
I feed the birds, the deer ate all my apples this year. I am a nut for animals.
I put my 15 yr. old dog Precious to sleep and it about killed me. She was like my 3rd. child and sat under my feet constantly. I swore I would never get another animal.
I then moved and bought a home. Guess what. The people left their cat. I adopted it even though it was almost a feral cat by time we moved in. Took it to vet immediately and made sure it was fixed and had shots. It is now spoiled rotten.
I was speaking of my experience with some odd folks. I would not exactly call Bardot a people person for example.
Ridiculous. It was understood what I meant.

http://www.petsourceusa.com/Blog/how-many-cats-before-you-are-the-cat-lady.html
notice from a pet source.

Carlisle Blues

Foofoogal said:
good grief. I have never seen people get their panties in a wad so fast.
This above would basically describe me.
I feed the birds, the deer ate all my apples this year. I am a nut for animals.
I put my 15 yr. old dog Precious to sleep and it about killed me. She was like my 3rd. child and sat under my feet constantly. I swore I would never get another animal.
I then moved and bought a home. Guess what. The people left their cat. I adopted it even though it was almost a feral cat by time we moved in. Took it to vet immediately and made sure it was fixed and had shots. It is now spoiled rotten.
I was speaking of my experience with some odd folks. I would not exactly call Bardot a people person for example.
Ridiculous. It was understood what I meant.

http://www.petsourceusa.com/Blog/how-many-cats-before-you-are-the-cat-lady.html
notice from a pet source.

I do not wear panties, that would be ODD. I am a man. :p

I was not speaking about you. I was commenting on your statement.

Further, whether Bardot is a people person or not does not speak to my statement. She is an animal rights activist, as a matter of course she will condemn those who treat animals in a manner that imperils the health, welfare and/or safety of those she advocates for. Quite obviously you consider her an aberration based on her activities, while others laud her actions as kind and humane.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
“If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog”. Harry S Truman

Sad to say, that's pretty much true outside of Washington as well.

Foofoogal

Banned
Now Carlisle. I will take back Bardot as she is a very controversial person.
Unless one lives in a cave I am speaking of "like the link" crazy cat ladies, dog hoarders etc. See them on TV about once a month in pick a city.
It is a quite fairly common thing to fit some animal people nicely in this "odd" thread.
Did I suggest all people that love animals are odd? No.

I guess my words of "really into" was misunderstood.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Well, this was the oddest restaurant chair (that's right), that somehow transferred its oddness to whoever sat in it...

About three years ago, I took a stunning woman to my favorite restaurant. The courses kept coming and the wine (for her) was ordered. Everything appeared to be going swimmingly; the waiters attentive, the music soft and the food scrumptious.

About halfway through the meal, the conversation turned to topical matters. Then, all of a sudden, I found myself 'wearing' a full glass of red wine. I won't go into the embarrassing details, except to mention that we never saw each other again, and that I offered to pay the restaurant owner for the damage.

Jump forward a year, and I was at the same restaurant, at exactly the same table. This time with a woman I'd known (on and off) for a few years. Once again, I'll spare you the finer details, other than to convey my surprise at her standing up mid-meal, and slowly poring a full (why are they always full?) glass of wine over my head. After she'd stormed out, the waiters and the owner again helped with the cleanup. I've been back a few times since with friends. Thankfully, the matter is never brought up.

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
^^^^

lol lol lol lol lol Please do not spare the details.

I'd rather not go into the details of the first 'soaking'. She works/worked in an industry where appearance is everything, and for all I know, might frequent these discussion boards.

I am at least still on speaking terms with the 'second incident' lady. At this 'soaking' we had simply been discussing the pros and cons of the Atkins diet. Simple, harmless, everyday chitchat.[huh]

Edit:
The 'first incident' wine was thrown at my face from a seated position.

The "second incident' wine was poured from a half standing, leaning forward position (she must have done this before).

Given a choice, and with both glasses equally filled, I'd say that I prefer the thrown in your face method. It doesn't drip down your back, and a good amount finds its way back onto the table. When it's poured overhead, you stand no such chance!

Lear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda