Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's with me?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
untitled-6.jpg

600-phoenix.jpg

THAT'S IT!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Very close, but Joaquin Phoenix is a bit too puffy for it ...

I think that RALPH FIENNES would be perfect for the role. Ralph radiates intelligence, and has the intensity, the irritability, and the lean physique to carry it off well.

Plus, Ralph Fiennes has starred in loads of "Golden Era" pics (Schindler's List, The English Patient, Sunshine, The End of the Affair, and The White Countess), and this one is right up his alley.

Ralph Fiennes also does regional American accents very well: see Quiz Show and The White Countess.

The actor has a following, this role is a perfect fit for him, and audiences would accept it.
untitled-6.jpg
teota.jpg

countess1.jpg
countess4.jpg

avengersteed.jpg
julianne_moore1.jpg

julianne_moore3.jpg
julianne_moore2.jpg

avengerralph.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Fiennes is probably about twice as high, and somehow too British, i'n 'e? Ben Stiller is someone I shouldn't have thought of, but if he doesn't grin too whimsically, he might actually be worth a try.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Fiennes is probably about twice as high, and somehow too British, i'n 'e?

It's true that Fiennes is taller, but I doubt that audiences would know or care. (At least, I wouldn't.) As for being British, he has played Americans very, very well. Fiennes is a master at accents and body movement. See his spot-on portrayals of Americans in Quiz Show (and, more recently, The White Countess).

As for his hair, he has a hairline that is very similar to Shaw's. (See the first two comparison photos.) It's just a matter of combing it as Shaw did. Should be easy to achieve.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Anyway, better pick a good actor than a badly acting look-alike.

"True story" movies often enough don't have a good plot (because people's lives aren't drafted according to The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Screenplay), and a mere similarity instead of good acting doesn't make it easier. It's seldom that the two come together: The Glenn Miller Story and Gandhi come to mind.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The real Artie Shaw was a bad actor and was in a number of movies. Yes, most find those late 30's and early 40's movies to be corny with good music but, heck, I think it would be swell to find some one who looks just like him... kid of like "The Man with Bogart's Face" and just play him up as Artie Shaw... it would be a cool movie if it were serious but, also kind of fun like "Tucker a man and his dream" something like that would make it a fun and enjoyable movie. And the costuming HAS to be SPOT ON! With the things we can do with film today, they can recreate so many things... even the '39 World's Fair!

It could be a movie about Shaw and his music but, also a good educational type of film about the late 30's and early 40's when Shaw's band was on fire! Also, we'd need a gal who looks like Helen Forrest! She sang with Shaw for some time in 1938 to 1940 I think. Some of my favorite songs ever are hers when she sang with Shaw.

=WR=

041231_shaw_vmed.widec.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Who'll Play The Ladies?

Ava Gardner, Lana Turner, Doris Dowling and Evelyn Keyes, to name a few.

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
Casting a film before it's written tends to be bad form. :rolleyes:

Well, Jake this is more fun then something that will really happen any way.;)

Who looks like Helen? Hummmmm...

669996976_l.jpg

Doesn't need to sound like her... voice dubs are very old fashioned! Then again, Megan Ivy who used to sing back in the 90's with the Eddie Reed band sounded very much like Helen! Hummmm... I wonder.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR