Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's with me?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, you know how much I love the big band era and the music that came out of that time... also, we all know the wonderful technology that we have for movie making and what they can reproduce with a computer that doesn't exist any longer.

So, I was thinking of finding a way to submit an idea for a film... not just any film but one that would portray a particular band leader who I enjoy. I thought about another Glenn Miller movie and find a man who looks dead on like Miller and make it a real good film with today's capabilities it could be better then the 1950's one of Stewart and Allyson... but, I think it's not time for another Miller Movie... I was thinking of some one who did very well in the industry who didn't get much recognition... one who felt outcaste because he didn't get a movie like Benny or Glenn did... I'm talking about Artie Shaw!

Now, since Hollywood loves to do stories on real people and twist them a little, they would eat up Arties life story! He was married like 7 times I believe and to a great deal of the most beautiful Hollywood actresses of the era! I would love nothing more then to see them find some one who looks just like Artie, find some one who looks like Tony Pastor an also Helen Forrest! How cool would that be? I'd love to see that! Artie was a bitter man for most of his days, and not a lot of people like him for who he was... but man, that guy could play a licorice stick!

What say ye members of the Lounge? I say it's time!

=WR=

Feraud

Bartender
I am with you!
I do not know Shaw's story but can imagine a Ron Howard production similar to Cinderella Man/A Beautiful Mind style story. A struggling genius/boxer or in this case band leader. I would almost suggest Kevin Spacey to play Shaw but he did the Bobby Darin pic.
Who is going to write the screenplay?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Screen play...

Well, I feel that Jazz historians should write it... Also, people who knew Artie on a personal level, he just died I think a year and half ago? Yeah, well, anyway his life was full of adversity, he also was kind of a jerk... a know it all blow hard in some respects, he worked hard and perfected his craft but, because of his attitude, he didn't get the respect he felt he desereved.

The man is most famous for taking the tune 'Begin the Beguine' and swinging it into a popular tune... it became an instant pop song for Artie... he had dozens of requests for this song... Artie and the band got pretty tired of playing it... he then was quoted "I don't care if I never have to play that song again!" His popularity started to shift his band into another direction then he really wanted to go... he was an artist and one who was frustrated and irritated by the music industry of the time (wonder what he thought of it as it is now before he diedlol ) which wanted one thing… Their favorite songs!

I think it would be a cool movie to show the good side of him as well as the darker side which Hollywood is known for! But, to keep it true to life, I feel the screen play should be written by folks who can tell the story best and most true. I'd also like them to find a guy who looks just like Artie, some one who isn't an actor, Artie wasn't an actor!!! If any one has seen him in any movie, you'd know what I mean! That can be said by any other Big Band leader of the time... they couldn't act worth a lick! But, Kay Kyser wasn't too bad at it... off topic there. Any way, they need to find some one who was about his size and who looks just like him... get him suited up and maybe a few lessons on the Clarinet so when he faked it, it would be some what believable.

=WR=

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Ok, you know how much I love the big band era and the music that came out of that time...
You just described to a T. the movie "Round Midnight" (1986): created by the Martin Scorcese (sp?) of French filmmakers, as he put it, "to prove to the world my love of Jazz music". It really shows (can you tell itsm my favorite). I've long wanted to do the same with Thelonious Monk.

Have at it Root, I'd sure pay to see it! though I can't quite afford to be an investor lol great idea. :eusa_clap

Swing High,
- C H

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I'm not in any place to make a movie... or invest in one, I want to know if there's a way to pitch the idea by some one who might think it a good idea.

I live close to Hollywood but, I have no ties to it!

=WR=

CharlieH.

One Too Many
An Artie Shaw biopic... now that would be a killer!
What sort of film do you have in mind? I say this would make a great Aviator-style epic, although you would need a well-known figure for something of that scale... ole man Arshawsky deserves a picture of biblical proportion!

And if it ever gets done, make sure you get us a cameo!

(dibs on the props!)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I'd sure like to see Hollywood do a tribute to the ol' King of the Clarinet! I know they would have to get a big name for the lead if it would be a major production but, I think if they gave some one the chance to be in the lead who was new to Hollywood, it would kind of make a neat story out of it... sure, some may say: Who's that guy playing Artie Shaw? I've never seen him before... but, man, he DOSE look like him!!!

A new star would be born!

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The truly great documentary, Artie Shaw: Time Is All You've Got, is not available on DVD, so lobbying for that to be released would be a start. (Brigit Berman, who direccted, also made an excellent documentary about Bix Beiderbecke which was available on the Playboy Jazz label.)

The Artie Shaw story would make a great film.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WR,

I think it is a wonderful idea. The Big Band Era is rarely done justice. I found "De-Lovely" oddly affecting, and very creative. I imagine a film on Artie Shaw to be powered by the drive of his music and have the snappy pacing of the first reel of "The Aviator."

It's a marvelous notion!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A biopic on Shaw is a great idea -- he was a very complex man who went thru his entire long life without ever really settling down emotionally, and I'd think his story would be a real challenge to capture on film. Somehow I see someone like Kevin Spacey really sinking his teeth into the role....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Well, I'm not in any place to make a movie... or invest in one, I want to know if there's a way to pitch the idea by some one who might think it a good idea.

I live close to Hollywood but, I have no ties to it!

=WR=

Secure the rights to something that might give you "ownership" of the idea. That might mean optioning one of the existing biographies or putting together something of your own

Write a treatment and shop it around. If you just love the idea, write a screenplay, then shop that around.*

Advertise in the trades for a producer interested in a film on a big band legend.

Find some like minded friends who are attending or recently attended film school and make a short based on some part of the story you want to tell. Use that to shop the idea around.

Selling a film can be frustrating and ultimately disappointing, not to mention very time consuming. You might want to make it one of your life's goals, or you might not. A producer/director friend of mine and I have had a rock & roll film in development since the project was first introduced as a stageplay in 1997. Still no film. The lead for whom the project was written is now too old to play the lead if the film ever does get made. Of course, this is Canada and everyone knows there is more money for movies in Hollywood than in the GWN, but it's still not an easy way to make a living.

*Hire a writer to do the heavy lifting. :D (Freelance writers are often very nice people.)

Terry Lennox

Suspended
You need a hook.

I don't think Artie Shaw isn't as well know as say Johnny Cash or Ray Charles or Glen Miller so just the name alone isn't big enough to make a big feature film.

Independent film sure, but not big budget like it should be done.

research it, who he married, dated, was he arrested? Killed a man? Did he do drugs? You need some drama to make a drama. Or he overcame something to become who he was...

I'm sure if you research him, you'll find the seeds to something that will make people want to watch.. and not just listen.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Well, eight wives, first "white" leader to hire a "black" singer, serious McCarthy trouble for his involvement in democracy - if this won't do, there's still Begin the Beguine as a theme song. (Though he hated being reduced to it.)

Wild Root

Gone Home
I started this thread mainly to see who here would enjoy a film of that nature... I haven't any ambitions to make a movie, I lack a lot of resorses to do such and haven't a clue as to where to start in doing such.

Artie Shaw I feel has a life of interest, he was married to many of Hollywood's top stars... they all ended in disaster, he was a grouchy irritable man, he felt the world owed him a living in some regards... I just passed away no more then a few years ago... I think it would be really nice to see a movie come out about him seeing that Hollywood is grasping for new material since they're "Remaking" so many films... it's getting tiring.

Artie Shaw, I know who ever plays him should be a thin man who looks killer tux or double breasted white suit. Spacey may look some what like Artie but, he's not the right body size I feel.

Is there a way to contact or submit some ideas to say WB or what not? Like an email line to submit ideas? Just curious.

=WR=

Hondo

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Artie Shaw: Is there a way to contact or submit some ideas to say WB or what not? Like an email line to submit ideas? Just curious.=WR=

What you need to do is write letters, bounce around ideas, get help, who is going to write screen play? Things like that, maybe look into Variety rag for info, colleges drama papers. Emails are too easy to throw out, not getting any ones attention; you need mass letter writing campaign. Ever hear of Sundance film festival? Many, I mean a lot of independent, low budget films make it there. Guys with 16mm cam recorders are making low budget films, some get notice, you would be surprised. Big budget studios like WB would be impossible, be real or keep dreaming, also wouldn’t make it due to audiences age, large studios go for younger crowds, like teen flicks, horror stuff, you think they would go for Artie Shaw? Not likely pal, as sincere as you are and I’m with you 100 percent, you have to think particle what today’s movie crowd goes for, which is why I’d go independent, how to get Financial backers, insurances, costumes, music, writers for screen play, scripts,the works, actors (unknown of course) maybe you’ll find one major actor/actress who might like your idea and take a percentage out as pay cut, never know, all these are what you have to think about, no one will do it for you, need to get the ball rolling, its a tough sell for sure but This is how I'd go about it if you really want it. Think big but small.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Artie Is Ripe For A Biopic

I grew up hearing about AS from my Uncle Mike, an part-time professional saxophone player who met and played(mostly at after hours jam sessions) with many of the greats. Look, AS had the talent, he had the babes and he quit when he was on top. I'd love to see his story on the screen.

Now, what current actor would play him?

untitled-6.jpg

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
I started this thread mainly to see who here would enjoy a film of that nature... I haven't any ambitions to make a movie, I lack a lot of resorses to do such and haven't a clue as to where to start in doing such.

Artie Shaw I feel has a life of interest, he was married to many of Hollywood's top stars... they all ended in disaster, he was a grouchy irritable man, he felt the world owed him a living in some regards... I just passed away no more then a few years ago... I think it would be really nice to see a movie come out about him seeing that Hollywood is grasping for new material since they're "Remaking" so many films... it's getting tiring.

Artie Shaw, I know who ever plays him should be a thin man who looks killer tux or double breasted white suit. Spacey may look some what like Artie but, he's not the right body size I feel.

Is there a way to contact or submit some ideas to say WB or what not? Like an email line to submit ideas? Just curious.

=WR=

I don't know anybody that works in 'pictures' but I think that this would be a grand idea. I can just see either David Strathairn or Ben Stiller...Can someone else think of anyone more befitting? I know some of you might be gafawing me about the Ben Stiller remark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda