Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do I Love The Dutch?

Hankh

Familiar Face
Dear Spitfire,

Thanks for the message.:eusa_clap
I'm not that much of a soccerfan.
Watched the match, if I did my job in the same lousy manner as the NL team did I would have been without work.
I'm not sure about the consequences for the Danish team, hope they have the opportunity to keep on fighting.:cheers1:

Best regards,
Henk

missjo

Practically Family
Oh no missed a topic about how great we are!
Oh no I have posted in a very old topic!
Oh no I've created a zombie topic!

/runs away with her cheese and clogs.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Well missjoeri, I am rather glad you resurrected this thread, I hadn't gotten a chance to see it yet.

That was a great article at the beginning of the thread, if only all people in all the liberated and allied countries remembered and were so devoted to both those living and dead who gave so much to preserve the freedom we enjoy. God bless the Dutch. :)

missjo

Practically Family
For the last couple of years I've taken part in the big liberation parade in the city of Wageningen.
There are less and less of them but still veterans from all over the world return to the Netherlands that day and shower in the attention, respect and love thei receive.
Countless line the streets applauding them, kids fighting to shake their hands.
Always an amazing experience.

This is mostly because we have suffered more then any other country liberated by the Western Allied Forces.
Countries that suffered worse then the Netherlands are situated in the East and were liberated by the Soviets, something many find hard to celebrate because of the years that followed.
But the Dutch went trough a hungerwinter.
So these boys who came to liberate us saved us from death, not just nazi occupation.
We owe them everything.

1061945418_aa9ced0523.jpg

missjo

Practically Family
Better watch yourself or we'll try again!
We only stopped our invasion because we were suffering from Altitude sickness and ran out of Stroopwafels.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Every spring, Ottawa is full of colour thanks to the 20,000 or so tulips the Dutch have sent Canada every year since the war. They don't forget.

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bin...asp?cid=16297-16298-10118-10120&lang=1&bhcp=1

Huge understatement. As a Canadian, visiting Holland is a real eye opener. From the moment you land, you get special treatment. We had small Canadian flags on our bags in the customs line. An official came right up to us, asked if we were Canadian, looked at our passports and walked us through past everyone else! When I asked what the heck was happening, he replied, "You're Canadian and we remember." This was a young man as am I.

This continued the whole trip. Everyone that found out we were Canadian was all over us-young and old. It was so freaky and yet I felt so proud. I will never forget that trip, as apparently they have never forgotten what Canada did in the war.

Hankh

Familiar Face
Last May I noticed these posters behind the windows of many homes in my city.
DSC_0463.jpg

It says: one of the 21.662 homes where (61.700) Jews lived who were murdered.
And that's in Amsterdam only.
It can't be difficult to thank the Allies for stopping this kind of hatred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran