Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do thick leathers keep getting recommended?

Observe

One Too Many
I am a bit confused by this particular point, not because Shinki is a bad leather but because by no means would I call it anything but a stiff, fairly thick horsehide.

Anyway if anyone is looking for a laugh, there’s a Reddit workwear guy whose boots are literally injuring him and he’s angry at everyone saying he bought the wrong size. It reads almost identically as those guys in 2007 buying APC jeans 5 sizes too small because “it’ll stretch”.
I've been on this journey, trying to squeeze my size 13 feet into size 11.5 shoes and telling myself they will break in. Made many painful and expensive mistakes. At the time, I'd never admit to myself the sizing or fit was wrong. Now, if there's any indication of discomfort or poor fit the damn things go right back in the box.

At the end of the day, people need to figure these things out for themselves. Wisdom is gained through suffering.

Observe

One Too Many
Given my recent newfound interest in leather jackets, have been seeing amekaji stuff pop up on my feed and do get where you're coming from. I have to admit there are some things that draw me to it, especially the boots as of late.

But when I see most of the guys that represent the scene, it all just seems so fake and soulless - which is the majority of IG anyway, so I suppose it's appropriate. All the "tough-guy" choreographed walking along with strange poses. It's hard to give off the rugged vibe when it looks like you're trying to simulate walking down a fashion runway. Reminds me of "influencers" I see all the time in NYC that setup a tripod and record themselves doing this garbage over and over till they get the 1 take that works - strikes me as obsessive and neurotic behavior.

Don't mean to single out guy the guy below (he's probably on this forum and friends with some of you guys), but unfortunately for him he popped up on my feed lol. The whole posing thing just looks tryhard to me. All it does is remind me of my grandad's old-man pose; hands behind the back and bow-legged stance. Then he tenses up his arms as hard as he can - I was expecting the description to have affiliate links to supplements. Ironically, the whole exercise ends up looking feminine to me as I picture him standing in his backyard in front of his tripod recording himself for minutes as he strikes one pose after the other.

View attachment 615826

Anyway people gotta make a living somehow, although the guy I pointed out is a dentist so he won't have to worry about that. That’s just my take on amekaji - there’s some interesting stuff in there, but the entirety of it is just not for me. If people enjoying styling themselves around that genre; c'est la vie, something for everyone and so on…

I will say though that @dudewuttheheck is a super-informative guy to learn from and watching his stuff at least gave me some idea of what's considered high-end and what to look for.
It's vanity and vaingloriousness at its worst. I hate to say it because there's people here who do it who I find to be nice and helpful, hell if you count my bathroom five star selfies I guess I'm part of the problem too, but I think ton hit the nail on the head calling it a plague. Over the span of a half decade or so I've run the total gamut from die hard standard and strange robot to selling off most of the foolish crap and gained a feeling of cynicism about it all. At one point I even submitted a photo of me wearing items from a popular brand to the brand's Instagram account, which was posted on their page. My successful attempt to participate in the circus. I know that 5ish years is a short span of time for many people here but I feel like I speed ran the thing. That's not to say I don't still have an interest in topics germaine to the forum, because I do. I guess I'm just more careful nowadays?

Can you really expect a "scene" that centers around buying clothes to be anything but superficial?

Last edited:
Given my recent newfound interest in leather jackets, have been seeing amekaji stuff pop up on my feed and do get where you're coming from. I have to admit there are some things that draw me to it, especially the boots as of late.

But when I see most of the guys that represent the scene, it all just seems so fake and soulless - which is the majority of IG anyway, so I suppose it's appropriate. All the "tough-guy" choreographed walking along with strange poses. It's hard to give off the rugged vibe when it looks like you're trying to simulate walking down a fashion runway. Reminds me of "influencers" I see all the time in NYC that setup a tripod and record themselves doing this garbage over and over till they get the 1 take that works - strikes me as obsessive and neurotic behavior.

Don't mean to single out guy the guy below (he's probably on this forum and friends with some of you guys), but unfortunately for him he popped up on my feed lol. The whole posing thing just looks tryhard to me. All it does is remind me of my grandad's old-man pose; hands behind the back and bow-legged stance. Then he tenses up his arms as hard as he can - I was expecting the description to have affiliate links to supplements. Ironically, the whole exercise ends up looking feminine to me as I picture him standing in his backyard in front of his tripod recording himself for minutes as he strikes one pose after the other.

View attachment 615826

Anyway people gotta make a living somehow, although the guy I pointed out is a dentist so he won't have to worry about that. That’s just my take on amekaji - there’s some interesting stuff in there, but the entirety of it is just not for me. If people enjoying styling themselves around that genre; c'est la vie, something for everyone and so on…

I will say though that @dudewuttheheck is a super-informative guy to learn from and watching his stuff at least gave me some idea of what's considered high-end and what to look for.
Yes. All of what you said in a much more polished and civil tone than my crass and I suppose insulting way. Although my feeling is also that if you post it, get ready to hear the criticism. The 165lb hard flexing dentist makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis.

It's vanity and vaingloriousness at its worst. I hate to say it because there's people here who do it who I find to be nice and helpful, hell if you count my bathroom five star selfies I guess I'm part of the problem too, but I think ton hit the nail on the head calling it a plague. Over the span of a half decade or so I've run the total gamut from die hard standard and strange robot to selling off most of the foolish crap and gained a feeling of cynicism about it all. At one point I even submitted a photo of me wearing items from a popular brand to the brand's Instagram account, which was posted on their page. My successful attempt to participate in the circus. I know that 5ish years is a short span of time for many people here but I feel like I speed ran the thing. That's not to say I don't still have an interest in topics germaine to the forum, because I do. I guess I'm just more careful nowadays?

Can you really expect a "scene" that centers around buying clothes to be anything but superficial?
Very well said and I think the sort of brand elitism than runs rife also makes the whole thing all the more laughable as they are exactly what they claim not to be. A bunch of brand name hash tags x,y,z etc. I have never been influenced by any so called influencer (outside of some fitness and dietary accounts which actually are helpful).

For clothes I’ll pave my own path good, bad or indifferent. Many times all of that at once. At least it’s mine though and not some spoon fed fashion plate soylent green algorithm.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars

It is a plague, but as far as TFL is concerned, I don't think people join to get a "following" or "likes" as they do on IG. This place is way too niche and there's no fancy "algorithm" that'll make your post go viral. Yeah, we all have a little bit of vanity in us, but most here are very humble - you could say hilariously to the point of being clinical, i,e, posting themselves in a series of jackets with the exact same poses and neutral facial expression like it's an experiment (bring out the lab coats!). I say this in jest though, the pictures, measurements and commentary are way more helpful and well-intentioned than the affiliate links.
Posting a bathroom selfie here and there on WJAYWT is nothing compared to the bottomless pit of vanity that is IG.

You got a point. I'd say this is more of an issue of trying to be something you're not - don't try to walk at me like a "tough-guy" when you're just a dude that bought a jacket, raw denim and boots and pose in your backyard/driveway for pretty, floaty likes. I think most people on here are honest about what they're doing here, they like how leather jackets look on them.... they share their new stuff, discuss the nuances with other enthusiasts, answer questions from newcomers and have the occasional debate here and there. Much more substantial than what goes on in social media.

All of what you said in a much more polished and civil tone than my crass and I suppose insulting way.
I think you captured a feeling, and the words just wrote themselves :D

The 165lb hard flexing dentist makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis.
guess he better start drinking fight milk if he wants to pull out wisdom teeth with his bare hands

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For clothes I’ll pave my own path good, bad or indifferent. Many times all of that at once. At least it’s mine though and not some spoon fed fashion plate soylent green algorithm.

This just reminded me of when some influencer channel did a video with a tour of the Schott factory and interview of Jason Schott, and it kept cutting to the guy driving his Porsche up and down the street, and stopping to explain to Jason how a good leather jacket is iconic like his Porsche 911 and his watch. :D (Like many men I am into watches and motoring but I think I cringed so hard I must have inverted myself.)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Given my newfound interest in leather jackets, have been seeing amekaji stuff pop up on my feed and do get where you're coming from. I have to admit there are some things that draw me to it, especially the boots as of late.

Don't mean to single out the guy below (he's probably on this forum and friends with some of you guys), but unfortunately for him he popped up on my feed lol. The whole posing thing just looks tryhard to me. All it does is remind me of my grandad's old-man pose; hands behind the back and bow-legged stance. Then he tenses up his arms as hard as he can - I was expecting the description to have affiliate links to supplements. Ironically, the whole exercise ends up looking feminine to me as I picture him standing in his backyard in front of his tripod recording himself for minutes as he strikes one pose after the other.

View attachment 615826

I appreciate the kind words about me. I try to be as informative and helpful as I can be.

Amekaji just means "American casual" in Japanese. If you know the history of it, then you'll know that a very large amount of clothing was born directly or indirectly from the Japanese revival of American casual clothing.

This is important for two reasons.

1. A lot of people buy and wear amekaji clothing even if they're not part of "the scene."

2. It's influenced such a wide variety of clothing that there is no one style of amekaji as many seem to think. The Instagram aspect of it is just one part of it, and even within that there are a lot of differences. It can't be all painted with the same brush.

Are there issues with it? Absolutely, I point them out all the time. Guys like Fjorde are a joke and actually problematic because of how greedy they are, especially behind the public "nice guy" image they attempt to cultivate. Despite that though, there is interest in the style and scene beyond just posing and trying to look tough.

I know I'm part of the scene and I post plenty of pictures and videos of myself, but I and many others do try to point out that the whole "rugged" idea especially is idiotic. At the end of the day, many of us are into it because we like the craft and quality of the clothing and because we just like how it looks as well as the history of it. I like the rest of the clothing I wear for the same reasons I like leather jackets... which isn't much if at all different from people on here.

I think the distinction should be made between people who genuinely love the clothing and the bad actors in the Instagram, reddit, and YouTube side of things.

The problem is that the people you see the most are the ones who are most problematic for the most part.

Obviously there's vanity at play, but most people that wear amekaji clothing are nowhere near as vain as the influencers. I'm not even defending myself here. I post too much on youtube and ig to do that. I'm defending other people I know who don't deserved to be judged alongside me with the same harshness.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Are there issues with it? Absolutely, I point them out all the time. Guys like Fjorde are a joke and actually problematic because of how greedy they are, especially behind the public "nice guy" image they attempt to cultivate.
Here's his modus operandi. I wouldn't be surprised if, on top of the freebies, he'll ask for money too.

If I were a maker I'd consider paying him to not wear or review my products. Being associated with him would hurt my brand value as I'd join brands like Master Supply Co who spam the 'rugged' Instagram scene with ads and sponsored posts, spending more money on advertising and influencer shilling than on their actual products.

7910B699-3B35-43FA-8493-E55BCC908F26.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
My first Aero is a Highwayman in brown fqhh. It was initially heavy and a bit difficult to move in, but became comfortable quite quickly. It's a beautiful thing now (it's 14 or so years old). Aero's mid weight fqhh is only somewhat lighter. The hide I find a challenge is steer hide (the tan cafe racer is steer hide)- it's very stiff, and might not be suited to the CR I have in it. Time will tell. The fqhh is like armour, initially, but I get a lot of compliments on it due to its patina.

For me, Vicenza has the ideal drape/weight overall (the Mariner), and goat is the most comfortable (50s HB). Each hide has its positives and negatives.

None of the hides below is as old as the Highwayman, but I doubt they'll be as eye-catching when they are.

View attachment 615691 View attachment 615693 View attachment 615694 View attachment 615695 View attachment 615696 View attachment 615697

It'll be interesting to see how the cafe racer develops over time. I tend to find I like heavier hides in jackets that are more fitted, whereas jackets with more room in them to my eye (and on my frame) often favour styles with a bit more room and freedom to drape. No hard and fast rules, though. Nice to see a Mariner in the wild, they don't seem to crop up often.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Here's his modus operandi. The man is a total Instagram whore. I wouldn't be surprised if, on top of the freebies, he'll ask for money too.

If I were a maker I'd consider paying him to not wear or review my products. Being associated with him would hurt my brand value as I'd join brands like Master Supply Co who spam the 'rugged' Instagram scene with ads and sponsored posts, spending more money on advertising and influencer shilling than on their actual products.

View attachment 615854

He's the poster child of what a lot of people don't like in the scene and that'd my point- a lot of us amekaji guys who are being painted with the same brush as him dislike him more than people outside the scene ever could because he makes us look bad.

Case in point: this thread. People are acting like every guy who likes raw denim, boots, and chambray shirts is just like him, which is not true. Obviously, he's not the only one and there are others like myself who probably post too many pictures, but otherwise are unlike him. It's a scale and it's not black and white.

I'm not saying you specifically are doing this btw, Marc, this just flowed well off your post

Last edited:

MrProper

You got a point. I'd say this is more of an issue of trying to be something you're not - don't try to walk at me like a "tough-guy" when you're just a dude that bought a jacket, raw denim and boots and pose in your backyard/driveway for pretty, floaty likes.
Guilty as charged ;)
I think everyone on IG presents themselves the way they think they look cool and good. Sometimes with more, sometimes with less success. Is vanity involved? Absolutely, otherwise hardly anyone would post themselves.
Ultimately, the viewer has to ask themselves why they like something and why they don't and why they allow themselves to be influenced or triggered. And it should be clear to everyone that IG is an illusory world.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
I think the distinction should be made between people who genuinely love the clothing and the bad actors in the Instagram, reddit, and YouTube side of things.
The problem is that the people you see the most are the ones who are most problematic for the most part.

Obviously there's vanity at play, but most people that wear amekaji clothing are nowhere near as vain as the influencers. I'm not even defending myself here. I post too much on youtube and ig to do that. I'm defending other people I know who don't deserved to be judged alongside me with the same harshness.

Perhaps I made it sound like I painted with too wide of a brush... I don't care at all about people that buy this stuff and enjoy it. That's their decision, their life.

Particularly what struck me is the vibe some of these influencers sell while dancing and flexing in front of the camera: "look at me, I'm dressed up like a coal miner" most likely never having handled a shovel in their life. It's nauseating to watch such posery and try-hardness.

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a poser too... I now wear leather jackets in NYC and haven't ridden a bike for years. Sure as hell won't see me flexing and performing this Kabuki in Times Sq. I think some self-reflection is needed for such individuals.

I know you post a lot too (I actually follow you on IG), but I definitely don't get that vibe from your stuff as much. It's more tasteful and your content on youtube is very critical of the scene, makers who dropped in quality and so on. I think that's more commendable vs the typical IG garbage. And yes, unfortunately that system helps garbage rise to the top, so not surprised you think that I see the most problematic often.

Guys like Fjorde are a joke and actually problematic because of how greedy they are, especially behind the public "nice guy" image they attempt to cultivate.

This guy is a goof and a weasel... and screams greed as you said. But think that's symptomatic of a different problem.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@dudewuttheheck did you buy that coffee machine yourself or was it sponsored?
Bought completely on my own. Not sponsored at all. I actually had to sell it recently due to medical issues related to caffeine sadly... also really hope that was not a serious question.

When you watch my youtube videos, i always make it obvious when something was gifted for review and all the stuff i post repeatedly is stuff i bought myself because i actually like it.
Perhaps I made it sound like I painted too wide of a brush... I don't care at all about people that buy this stuff and enjoy it. That's their decision, their life.

Particularly what struck me is the vibe some of these influencers sell while dancing and flexing in front of the camera: "look at me, I'm dressed up like a coal miner". It's nauseating to watch such posery and try-hardness.

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a poser too... I now wear leather jackets in NYC and haven't ridden a bike for years. Sure as hell won't see me flexing and performing this Kabuki in Times Sq. I think some self-reflection is needed for such individuals.

I know you post a lot too (I actually follow you on IG), but I definitely don't get that vibe from your stuff as much. It's more tasteful and your content on youtube is very critical of the scene, makers who dropped in quality and so on. I think that's more commendable vs the typical IG garbage. And yes, unfortunately that system helps garbage rise to the top, so not surprised you think that I see the most problematic often.

This guy is a goof and a weasel... and screams greed as you said. But think that's symptomatic of a different problem.
Thanks. I appreciate that. Like I said, I know I participate in vanity. There's no denying that, but there are people who like this clothing and don't even post pictures of themselves at all. We just don't see that because... well because they aren't posting pictures of themselves! :p

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Guilty as charged ;)
I think everyone on IG presents themselves the way they think they look cool and good. Sometimes with more, sometimes with less success. Is vanity involved? Absolutely, otherwise hardly anyone would post themselves.
Ultimately, the viewer has to ask themselves why they like something and why they don't and why they allow themselves to be influenced or triggered. And it should be clear to everyone that IG is an illusory world.
Haha this is actually what I was worried about... some people here will read this and infer I'm talking about them.
Not at all directed at you, no need to feel guilty. I think you look chill in your stuff... "proper" if you will

But point taken, IG is far away from reality - I wouldn't say I got triggered... at least I hope not. I just usually scroll past that stuff. I just saw @ton312's initial post which resonated with me and tried to expand on it

MrProper

Haha this is actually what I was worried about... some people here will read this and infer I'm talking about them.
Not at all directed at you, no need to feel guilty. I think you look chill in your stuff... "proper" if you will

But point taken, IG is far away from reality - I wouldn't say I got triggered... at least I hope not. I just usually scroll past that stuff. I just saw @ton312's initial post which resonated with me and tried to expand on it
Don't worry, it's all in good fun. ;)
And thanks for the feedback

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
As members of a forum that exists almost exclusively to present photos of us wearing various items of overpriced clothing, it rarely crosses my mind to insult others on social media who do the same.

As a member of a forum that I may well consider to be an integral part of the ‚leather jacket scene‘, I also am hesitant to feel superior to other ‚scenes‘ on social media.

If something I see on Insta or elsewhere triggers bad emotions, I simply ignore it. I don’t rant about it on other platforms.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart