Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do thick leathers keep getting recommended?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
As members of a forum that exists almost exclusively to present photos of us wearing various items of overpriced clothing, it rarely crosses my mind to insult others on social media who do the same.

As a member of a forum that I may well consider to be an integral part of the ‚leather jacket scene‘, I also am hesitant to feel superior to other ‚scenes‘ on social media.

If something I see on Insta or elsewhere triggers bad emotions, I simply ignore it. I don’t rant about it on other platforms.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As members of a forum that exists almost exclusively to present photos of us wearing various items of overpriced clothing, it rarely crosses my mind to insult others on social media who do the same.

As a member of a forum that I may well consider to be an integral part of the ‚leather jacket scene‘, I also am hesitant to feel superior to other ‚scenes‘ on social media.

If something I see on Insta or elsewhere triggers bad emotions, I simply ignore it. I don’t rant about it on other platforms.
I don't think calling out the obvious thirst for reactions on IG is an insult. It's recognizing the platform for what it is. It's not bad emotions, for me there is a clear and desparate thirsty drive for approval, particularly in that scene that comes off as extremely cringy. But it is definitely spread across most of IG. I guess it all comes off as ass shaking bikini girls for approval to me, which I do feel is pathetic. My beliefs/opinions don't end where other peoples feelings begin....I never want to be a dick, but I also won't lie to you.

jeo

One Too Many
I don’t think what was said is inaccurate. I can say from my own experience that the quest for the heaviest, thickest leather was also done in tandem with my quest for denim with the same characteristics.

This is because you’re a TFL guy that was influenced by the raw denim scene and started buying into it while also buying all your Aero CXLs. The actual raw denim scene was not on TFL and typically wanted nothing to do with heavy leathers.

When I first discovered TFL around 2007 heavy leathers was all the rage and the vast majority of people here were wearing ill fitting mall brand dad jeans, not raw denim. Once raw denim became more of a norm here I’d say the heavy leather thing died down.

As far as the Japanese amekaji “scene” with leather and denim goes….to me it is the absolute height of poser. What positives are there? It’s utterly soulless catalog gear. I believe it’s a plague fueled by Instagram users looking for a reassuring like, and when I look at the accounts I see a bunch of fancy boys with soft hands playing dress up and flashing big bucks gear (more likes please!) that makes them resemble sausage cased walking twat boxes.

I don’t think the IG amekaji scene is a plague filled with twat boxes. It’s filled with mostly awesome people including many that are right here on TFL that are passionate about their clothes and post about it. Yes, sometimes people do poses instead of the deadpan hands to the side stance. Overall I think it’s very positive despite the pitfalls of social media like the vainness of it all. They are no more a poser than you in a WWII navy get up with your sailor bell bottoms.

It seems the longer I stay in this hobby, the more I think Stu is actually right.

According to Stu if you post on an online forum you’re less of a man. You have more posts than anyone on here.

This is because you’re a TFL guy that was influenced by the raw denim scene and started buying into it while also buying all your Aero CXLs. The actual raw denim scene was not on TFL and typically wanted nothing to do with heavy leathers.

When I first discovered TFL around 2007 heavy leathers was all the rage and the vast majority of people here were wearing ill fitting mall brand dad jeans, not raw denim. Once raw denim became more of a norm here I’d say the heavy leather thing died down.

I don’t think the IG amekaji scene is a plague filled with twat boxes. It’s filled with mostly awesome people including many that are right here on TFL that are passionate about their clothes and post about it. Yes, sometimes people do poses instead of the deadpan hands to the side stance. Overall I think it’s very positive despite the pitfalls of social media like the vainness of it all. They are no more a poser than you in a WWII navy get up with your sailor bell bottoms.

According to Stu if you post on an online forum you’re less of a man. You have more posts than anyone on here.
I don't disagree, I've actually called myself out for posing in that gear. Of course I could easily turn this back on you, with a huge inventory of motorcycle jackets and (I assume) no m/c to go with it. There is obviously a bit of that in all this stuff, no doubt. But I see posts for the sake of posting based on thirst on IG, I don't see that here. I also see terrible fits, brand name dropping and all the other elitist bufoonery this place (mostly) avoids.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
I don't disagree, I've actually called myself out for posing in that gear. Of course I could easily turn this back on you, with a huge inventory of motorcycles and (I assume) no m/c to go with it. There is obviously a bit of that in all this stuff, no doubt. But I see posts for the sake of posting based on thirst on IG, I don't see that here.
Haven’t owned a bike since my dirtbike days back in high school. Not sure if that would count anyway. But yes, if your point was that we are all posers in a way, then I don’t disagree with you.

zebedee

One Too Many
I reckon that Pike's denim is heavy but wearable. I have a pair nearing ten years old and more comfortable than other jeans I've owned. Most of the 'weight' issue has subsided for me with frequency of wear, both in fqhh and denim. On the other hand, I'm comfortable knocking about in William Lennons and heavyish jackets anyway.

Waiker

New in Town
Here's his modus operandi. The man is a total Instagram whore. I wouldn't be surprised if, on top of the freebies, he'll ask for money too.

If I were a maker I'd consider paying him to not wear or review my products. Being associated with him would hurt my brand value as I'd join brands like Master Supply Co who spam the 'rugged' Instagram scene with ads and sponsored posts, spending more money on advertising and influencer shilling than on their actual products.

View attachment 615854

Grown a hatred towards all those Instagram shills...And don't even get me started on those Thursday/Tuesdays boots shills like that Cory Mahlke guy.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grown a hatred towards all those Instagram shills...And don't even get me started on those Thursday/Tuesdays boots shills like that Cory Mahlke guy.
I would then probably ask myself why this is the case and whether I want to continue using IG. I think a platform like this should bring fun or other added value. If you're just annoyed, then that's certainly not the purpose.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would then probably ask myself why this is the case and whether I want to continue using IG. I think a platform like this should bring fun or other added value. If you're just annoyed, then that's certainly not the purpose.
I have enjoyed all your posts on IG. THank you.

The one with the schnitzel is the best.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars

I didn't really care about any of that till I saw ton's post and just expressed my agreement as it's something I recently observed - I have never written anything about social media otherwise. My usage of IG is mostly sharing stupid memes with my close friends and posting an occasional picture/story when I'm upto something.

Was just pointing out the irony of getting into the workwear scene and promoting this "manly ruggedness" ideal while taking obsessively choreographed shots along with all the photo editing to get those shiny likes. On one hand, it's impressive they can achieve that, but I could never see myself doing it.

Not saying everyone needs to stand like they're in a lineup at the precinct. It just doesn't come across as genuine, but rather like the guy has been practicing his "dance routine" in front of a mirror all day.

Anyway, didn't mean to come off as ranting so I'll stop here, I'm a newcomer and absolutely did not want to make people feel bad about posting pics here - I've posted my own, so come at me :)

Last edited:

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Late to the party, but just had to comment.

It's very interesting how far we've come in the years I've perused through these forums.

OP is exactly right, the heavy, thick, stand on their own leathers were definitely put on a pedestal influencing many to purchase these jackets. There was a point where having a jacket that stood was an important, desirable factor.

I never quite understood that aspect, the weight and stiffness. The power of any sort of media is that it can take a niche opinion and make it feel like a prevalent mindset.

So I think alot of people have that meet their heroes situation, and then when faced with these shortcomings, then go down the fit, construction, etc etc rabbit holes when the answer is simple- it's not for you.

Because it's a very, very niche interest. Most leather, if you correct it, apply a conditioner to develop a deep dark color with just the right amount of sheen, and have a nice smell to go with it, will be considered beautiful to 99% of people out there. We worry about robustness, yet my brother wore one lambskin jacket and beat the holy hell out of it and it still in great shape. Fact is, we're not riveting suspension bridges during the Industrial Revolution or riding coast to coast on a hardtail Harley. And if we were, we got functional, comfortable workwear, or vented textile jackets with armor.

I had a love, hate, and respect relationship with CXL. Loved it, then hated it, but now I respect it. Because, it's beautiful, and I have yet to find anything that wears like lamb but looks like CXL. And the smell is intoxicating.

If you found yourself on this forum, it's because you're searching for something more than what you'll find at Wilson's, and want to do more research before shelling out the dough on a Schott, so you've already fell into a niche, and as such will get niche opinions.

CXL deserves the hype that it gets, because as I said nothing looks like it. There's nothing wrong with it, the issue here is not with it, but with the wearer. It's not for everyone, it's certainly not for me. Imo, CXL needs to be worn in a fitted format, aka the biker fit. Short cut, close to the body, and in this form drape is not a concern. It needs to be short so it doesn't bunch when you sit and reach for handlebars with just enough coverage for your back, so that means it usually cut right at your hips if not shorter. What you then get is a jacket that moves with you, and as it breaks in and surrenders suppleness, it truly molds to you, so now you got a better than tailor fit, full movement functionality, and robust abrasion protection. It has structure in all the right places, therefore flattening you out, so it doesn't develop that beer belly cop leather jacket look.

But not only do you have to have the body type for this, but the lifestyle to invest the time and exposure to develop this sort of break in. And with my bodytype I feel like the tin man wearing this sort of jacket.

I equate it to wearing banana hammock speedos, very very few people can confidently and attractively pull them off, and I'm absolutely not one of them.

So with all that said, I understand better now my relationship with these leathers, and aspire to own one again down the road, maybe if I lose like 20 more lbs or so I can entertain that idea again, lol. But until then, it's like a supermodel or a supercar, I'd rather admire someone else's because lord knows I can't live with one even if I could, lol.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Was just pointing out the irony of getting into the workwear scene and promoting this "manly ruggedness" ideal while taking obsessively choreographed shots along with all the photo editing to get those shiny likes. On one hand, it's impressive they can achieve that, but I could never see myself doing it.

It's easy to judge but creating interesting content of high quality isn't all that easy. In fact, it's a lot of work, especially if you post on a daily basis like some of these guys.

First you need to come up with a topic (what am I going to show). Ideally you want some variation in your posts because otherwise your content will become boring very quickly. Next you need to think about presentation (how will I show it). Again, variation is key otherwise your posts will get boring. Then you need to edit the pics / videos which is quite time consuming to get it right. When you've posted your content people will interact by placing comments or sending DM's. Replying to all of them is time consuming especially when you have a big following. Because of all of the above I personally only post once a week.

I want to show each and every one of my jackets by wearing them in the same pose so that it's easy to compare their fit. There is nothing spontaneous about this whole process, my shots are totally choreographed. Is that a bad thing?

I'm sure Denim Dentist goes through a similar creation process. He chose a different method of showing his gear by making short video clips. Which is actually more natural than my static front and back shots.

I think he makes great high quality content and it looks like he's enjoying doing so. Am I a fan of the flexing? Absolutely not. Live and let live. Nobody is forcing anyone to follow him :).

mysternee

New in Town
Speaking as a newcomer, the appeal of thick leather is that when you're coming from the sea of cheap, thin leathers that dominate the high street, it gives you the sense that it'll last the course. Now as Ajahn Chah once said, "for me the cup is already broken", and it's true that being attached to the longevity of these things is ultimately pointless. But I've had a jacket with lots of character die on me because it was too thin, where a thicker leather would have lasted. It sucks getting gashes or even holes from the kind of scrapes and bumps that are inevitable if you regularly wear one.

I'm sure I'll come around, as is the way of these things. But at least for me, my first CXLFQHH jacket is already significantly more comfortable after a week or so of wear. Having said that, it's a generous 50s cut. I'm not sure I'd be as big a fan of something more form-fitting; it seems like it would be very restrictive.

And as others have said, leather can be thick and supple. My goatskin jacket just hangs off me.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
It's easy to judge but creating interesting content of high quality isn't all that easy. In fact, it's a lot of work, especially if you post on a daily basis like some of these guys.

First you need to come up with a topic (what am I going to show). Ideally you want some variation in your posts because otherwise your content will become boring very quickly. Next you need to think about presentation (how will I show it). Again, variation is key otherwise your posts will get boring. Then you need to edit the pics / videos which is quite time consuming to get it right. When you've posted your content people will interact by placing comments or sending DM's. Replying to all of them is time consuming especially when you have a big following. Because of all of the above I personally only post once a week.

I want to show each and every one of my jackets by wearing them in the same pose so that it's easy to compare their fit. There is nothing spontaneous about this whole process, my shots are totally choreographed. Is that a bad thing?

I'm sure Denim Dentist goes through a similar creation process. He chose a different method of showing his gear by making short video clips. Which is actually more natural than my static front and back shots.

I think he makes great high quality content and it looks like he's enjoying doing so. Am I a fan of the flexing? Absolutely not. Live and let live. Nobody is forcing anyone to follow him :).
About the highest form of praise I can give that guy is he has a strong work ethic considering how busy dentists can be :D

I do get it though, if you're taking the content creator thing seriously, it's a lot of work. Like I said, I'm impressed at how guys like you figure out how to get a following and so on... It's not something I'm interested in spending my energy on, but I recognize how much work it can be.

That being said, when I say "choreographed" I was referring more to his reels where he walks and does a string of poses/faces like he's been practicing, you know what I mean? Even if you feel like your shots are choregraphed, it doesn't come across that way to me at least. They're very casual and laidback looking even though you basically have the same ones. You don't look like you're pretending to be something. Is there a line I can draw in the sand for what try-hard looks like? Afraid not.

But guys like denimdentist and others who show up on my feed just make it so blatant with the "tryhard" and look cringy trying to pull off "rugged". Just doesn't work for me.

I get the point I don't have to follow him, I certainly won't - but just expressing my thoughts on what I've seen.

EDIT:
I think he makes great high quality content and it looks like he's enjoying doing so.

Speaking of enjoyment, dudsbydel looks like he's enjoying being himself a lot more and has a fun vibe to boot

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perfect time to recycle this photo:
IMG_2629.jpeg
Here I am in a heavy leather jacket striking a manly pose.

Faux59

New in Town
Ive complained about a Schott 689H I had being stiff as a board a few times here. it was by my own doing and not because of any recommendations. I think HH has an appealing alure to it to people like me newer to leather since cow leathers are more common and thick heavy gives the impression of being more durable.

That Schott lasted 6 months. I'm currently waiting for a replacement from Aero in Vicenza.

Can you really expect a "scene" that centers around buying clothes to be anything but superficial?
X 100!

Scene, community and club are terms I absolutely can't stand when it comes to clothing and the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart