Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Don Draper IS Lounge

koopkooper

Practically Family
When it comes to Lounge culture there is a man who really does epitomise *the culture through and through. Don Draper.
The character of Don Draper is that *he is a guy that looks great in formalwear,business wear and casualwear He has great taste in clothes and has great taste in women, he has money, is successful, confident, well groomed and basically he looks a million bucks.
Even the women he goes for have that certain x factor. However, when he broke up with Betty,and thank God he did,we discovered his taste in furniture is somewhat ordinary.
The bachelor pad he had in New York city was kind of boring, whilst fairly spacious it had that kind of dark and man brooding cave thing going on,but it suited his needs and let's face it was an apartment that was fully furnished not something you chose.
In season five he *married Meagan and moved into a sweet pad that's because of her taste of course.
Megan to me is a bit of a disappointing scenario that I don't think Don is the kinda guy who should be married. He is a bachelor and just needs to accept that fact.
He only married Meagan because one part of his life *he cannnot handle well, is his kids. He simply cant relate to them, and needs a woman to take care of that part of his life. *
Sure he is good at handling business mergers, difficult clients difficult,employees difficult,employers but when it comes to his kids,he struggles in that area*
Really he needed to *pay for a babysitter and a *cleaner and he would've had everything he wanted along with all the women he could possibly wanted.

Sure Don Draper's a fictional character but there is something to take away from his persona.
He is controlling,takes care of business, and he is very stylish, so to me there is something that we can all learn from Don Draper*

Let's *talk about his treatment of women which many people find appalling, but I personally think he handles his female relationships very very well.
His approach to dating and relationships is that he moves on as soon as it doesn't work anymore and he never *loses sight of who he is*and his true individuality

As a man he is not the kind of guy is gonna be under the thumb from the little woman. Sure, Betty tried and failed at the end of the day. Don rebelled and truly showed his real character and real value as an independent man.

Don Draper is the epitome of lounge, he's cool, classy,intelligent, well off and a true independent and decisive man.

Draper's a cool guy. I frequently finding myself wanting to add 'Don' qualities to my own life. The way he treats women is certainly not one of them, though lol

Drappa

One Too Many
Or, Don Draper could be seen for what he really is - a well-dressed but severely damaged individual who can not truly relate to his own children, women or most other people in his life. I'd certainly leave the Lounge if that was the ideal members on here strive for. Yikes. I also reject the term "little woman". What is that supposed to mean? That it's okay to be a complete jerk and treat women like dirt, because they're just little=inferior?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Or, Don Draper could be seen for what he really is - a well-dressed but severely damaged individual who can not truly relate to his own children, women or most other people in his life. I'd certainly leave the Lounge if that was the ideal members on here strive for. Yikes. I also reject the term "little woman". What is that supposed to mean? That it's okay to be a complete jerk and treat women like dirt, because they're just little=inferior?
You put it perfectly Drappa.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think the OP was saying that Draper "is lounge," meaning he is a model of the cocktail lounge, hotel lounge, blah blah culture. Not of The Fedora Lounge proper.

At least I hope not. Draper's an interesting character, but hardly a role model.

noonblueapples

Familiar Face

He is a fascinating character, but certainly not a decent one

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've only seen the first two seasons of Mad Men and to be honest, got tired of it. Draper's character may have developed from what i've seen, but i thought the point of him was that even he didn't really know who he was, that he was something of a cypher, a man who wasn't there, a kind of blank canvas for other people's fantasies. someone who looked great and self confident but had an existential emptiness inside. i thought that was pretty obvious anyway, and highlighted by the stealing of the other man's identity sub-plot.

Flicka

One Too Many
I think it's a cable TV show called "Mad Men." I've never seen it. He doesn't sound like an overall role model, though, from the description.

Aha, Mad Men. I've heard of it of course (who in the vintage society has not been accused of being inspired by it?) but I never saw it. Not my couscous.

i've only seen the first two seasons of Mad Men and to be honest, got tired of it. Draper's character may have developed from what i've seen, but i thought the point of him was that even he didn't really know who he was, that he was something of a cypher, a man who wasn't there, a kind of blank canvas for other people's fantasies. someone who looked great and self confident but had an existential emptiness inside. i thought that was pretty obvious anyway, and highlighted by the stealing of the other man's identity sub-plot.

Like Lizzie said, he sounds like they tried to write an archetypical Boy In Marketing who can be used as an analogy for the underlying theme of the series - all artificial surface and no substance. A symbol for his society/class/sub-culture.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley