Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Dont People Wear Coats Anymore?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bundling up is for old people

Yes, they are cold. Sooooo coooooolllllllllld. Shivering gives them something to do. I hate to think of their heating bills at home.
Yet, at the goth club I go to, some people wear long wool coats in the summer, so comfort has nothing to do with others' idea of fashion. (News flash!)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
People in NYC wear overcoats. Many of us keep right on wearing them right into May, not so much because the weather is unpredictable, I don't think, as because life itself is.

We also like our interiors overheated, in part because we get restless and disoriented without some small discomforts.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I see lots of men--usually young men--on the street here in DC (where it's currently 28°) wearing nothing over their suit jackets. I think it's at least in part because they now consider the suit jacket an outer garment, to be shed as soon as one gets home/to the office/in the car. Why wear one outer garment over another?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
If some dolts want to freeze to death then I can surely allow room for social Darwinism. [huh] :p

Ah, but the ones that survive will be stronger than you and I. They will reproduce and perhaps pass on those cold-resistant genes to their children. They will take over the world in their shorts and t's, and will make us their overcoat-clad slaves. A science fiction film will be made: Planet of the Near-Naked Apes. lol

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I suppose it's much more mild here in the winter, but every public place I can think of is always heated to the point where you'll boil in anything more than a t-shirt and jeans. The cold would only be that period between walking from your house to your car and from there to your destination. If I wear even a thick jacket I'll find I have to take it off and lug it around just to keep cool.

Marc Chevalier said:
Ah, but the ones that survive will be stronger than you and I. They will reproduce and perhaps pass on those cold-resistant genes to their children. They will take over the world in their shorts and t's, and will make us their overcoat-clad slaves. A science fiction film will be made: Planet of the Near-Naked Apes. lol

If they want to do that then they had better learn to shoot guns a whole lot better than I can. What Darwin doesn't finish off, I will. :p
The movie will then look a lot like The Punisher. ;)

Regards,

J

lindylady

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
I see lots of men--usually young men--on the street here in DC (where it's currently 28°) wearing nothing over their suit jackets. I think it's at least in part because they now consider the suit jacket an outer garment, to be shed as soon as one gets home/to the office/in the car. Why wear one outer garment over another?

I see that, too. Also, I see a lot of men going around in lightweight windbreakers, usually over a thick sweater or their business attire. The women here are wearing either a long, black maxi coat or a short, cropped parka with skinny jeans tucked into knee-high boots. I never understood the concept of a cropped parka. If it's that cold that you need a puffy coat, why would you want half of one? The way this arctic wind is blowing, an exposed abdomen is liable to be lashed wwith windburn.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Idyllwild, California, 12/27/06. Snow on the ground and cold but sunny. Mine was the only winter coat in sight. (Took off my Open Road so that the cowboy's head could be seen in the photo.)

Shorts and t-shirts were in evidence. Babies were grossly underlayered. (Which really bothers me, as they have no say in the matter.)

LA2007141.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:
Yeah, the N.Y. airport. But California's Idyllwild has been around longer. ;) Pretty place in the San Jacinto mountain range. John Wayne and others used to hang out there, since it's near Palm Desert.

I know where you mean. I was just being facetious. The similarity in the name made me laugh. Pretty desolate out there. Did you bring your horse?;)

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
Only the fiberglass one in the photo, and even he was overly frisky.

Idyllwild is just above the high desert, about 4,500 ft. Lots of pine trees and rocks. Worth a visit if you're ever in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area.

And we want to encourage people to bring a coat if you visit in this weather. Its cold up there. ;)

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier said:
And for Pete's sake, world, cover up your babies and toddlers! They can't tell you in plain English that you're making them freeze, so use your own common sense ... if any. :eusa_doh:

You know, I really hadn't noticed until my son was born. There are really some dense parents out there. If the child is flailing around and crying out in the cold with a onesie on then it is likely cold. :eusa_doh: [huh]

Regards,

J

Haversack

One Too Many
The Idyllwild Palomino picture with Marc reminded me of the inclement weather gear that the male castmembers wear in Frontierland at Disneyland. A few years back I was there during late fall on a day in which several intense rain squalls came through. What I noticed was the variety of cloaks and coats that almost magically appeared on all the staff. Each of course appropriate to their respective venues. Frontierland cast had a fleece-collared suede jacket very similar to Marc's. Loden Grey cloaks appeared in Fantasyland. Powder blue parkas were worn by the Matterhorn cast. Security, (when you could see them), had on tan trenchcoats. Meanwhile, most of the guests continued on in their typical shorts and t-shirts. A fore-shadowing example perhaps of Coats becoming a part of costume or uniform?

Haversack.

Haversack

One Too Many
Not to hijack this, but the costuming there is very detailed. You can tell exactly what a person does and where by what they are wearing. Standing outside the front gates before opening, I could figure out that blue cover-alls were maintanence. Green cover-alls were landscape. And the afore-mentioned tan trenchcoats, (with dark glasses, mind), were security. It looked like a scene from the Village in _The Prisoner_ as they all moved about very intently with little wheeled service vehicles the size of my desk carrying a full load of people identically dressed.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24