Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't we write letters anymore?

Starius

Practically Family
Since people don't write as many letters anymore, we tend to "come across them" less frequently as well. And by that I mean, letters that were not intended for our eyes.

Not too long ago, I purchased a first edition copy of Carl Sagan's Cosmos off eBay. Tucked away inside of the book, I found a sentimental letter in which I go into more detail here. The interesting thing, to me, is that upon discovering this letter, I was far more interested and excited initially in it than I was the book itself.

Sure, people may be writing just as much, whether its in the form of blogs, online forums, instant messages, etc... but a virtual discovery of such things (and its debatable that such writings are more secure in longevity when you factor in proprietary formats, rapidly changing technology, and digital rights) always seems pale in comparison to a physical discovery of a letter - a intimate window into another's world.

Adele

One of the Regulars
Ever since I could remember, I've enjoyed letter writing. Indeed, the frequency of such has decreased over the years, but thankfully I have a friend or two who (especially one) participate in letter writing with me every once in a while. I'll take what I can get!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic