Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is the Bum Look Popular? (formally the unemployed look)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

FStephenMasek said:
I would not call it the unemployed look. It is really the "bum" look,......

After reflecting, I have to agree. I came up with "unemployed look" as part of a dialog in a film short. It makes sense in that particular dialog...but now that it has been bounced around here, I can see that "bum look" or "Panhandler look" is a better fit for a stand alone term. I appreciate the suggestion.

Just to clarify before the Politically Correct Police get their knickers in a bunch again....I am not in any way being insensitive or rude to those who are truly homeless or panhandles. This tread is not about them at all. This thread is about the popularity of having that look....by people who aren't down on their luck. In actuality, financial status has very little to do the desire of those seeking to have this look.

I think a lot people missed my point. Let's use a couple of fictional examples to help illustrate my meaning:

Toyota comes out with a "new" model car. It is the body style of a 1979 Corolla...but the paint is faded and there are rust holes in the fenders. Bald tires are extra. Yet the sticker price is twice or three times the cost of the usual 2008 Corolla.

House Beautiful's cover story is about home builders who are creating new mansions that look like crack, slum houses. They have roofs with missing shingles and dirt lawns. You have your choice of broken or boarded up windows. The deluxe models come with the above mentioned special Corolla for your lawn.

Hollywood elite are racing to be the first to have these stylish must haves.

You might think this is ludicrous...but it is no different that spending loads of money for jeans that look like they were discarded.

....and that my friends IS my point. Some things in life you just have to shake your head.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
MK said:
After reflecting, I have to agree...and that my friends IS my point. Some things in life you just have to shake your head.

Well I think that's also the point that Mr7 and I were making with our posts. There are a lot of posers out there.

mister7

Familiar Face
Observation on adventure

I appreciate a compliment as much as anyone, but that said, adventure, just like style is whatever YOU define it to be.

I am a somewhat eccentric person and kind of a loner. So I have an appreciation for doing and liking whatever sorts of thing it is that amuses you. I am just as big a poseur (viva la France!) as anyone else, I am sure. But, if it makes any sense, I am posing for my own appreciation, rather than for anyone elses. In my minds eye, that is the difference between being authentic and being a shameless copycat.

It is the difference in being inspired by something rather than being a xerox copy of it. I say if you dig it, do it!

Authentic people judge themselves, the so-called posers are viewing themselves through the judgement of others.

As for Hollywood types and politicians, since they are selling their image to others, I don't think it is any sellout that they view themselves through the public eye. There are only so many really authentic role-models after all. There are not that many Paul Newman's, Humphrey Bogart's, Lauren Bacall's or even Karl Lagerfields in the world.
Viv la difference! (spelling?)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
mister7 said:
...the so-called posers are viewing themselves through the judgment of others...

And hence we have people dressing themselves up to look as something that they really are not. Well said :eusa_clap

I'd like to pose a question, since there seems to be a lot of "you shouldn't judge people by the way they dress" finger wagging here.

If someone dresses in a style or to identify with group, we are Not supposed to make any judgement about them, what if some one decides to dress daily in Nazi uniforms are we to disassociate Nazism from the person.

And no they are not a re-enactor.

mister7

Familiar Face
"sensativity" SP!!!!!!

Spelling nazi here! Please!

I think wearing such a uniforms only purpose would be to offend. A far cry from wearing clothes of a style you like or find comfortable, or even just to express individuality.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:
See....here is the thing.

Each of us is free to do all this judging for our real lives as we see fit.

No two ways about that.

But what -good- does it do, what purpose does it serve, for us, to sit here bemoaning other peoples taste, style, and the theoretical personality trait correlations that -might- accompany their look?

Is this helping us to be a good example of neatly dressed people? Or is the attitude behind threads such as this, simply one of 'wow lets all commiserate so we can feel like we are -better- since we don't do that'

I would much rather have this place, discuss the good things that we share, the interests that we have...and in a positive way become an example of what you all think everyone else lacks.

Instead, threads like this just promote the 'We are cool and your not' thing which would not -inspire- a single person to dress nicer. Because seriously, would anyone want to dress 'our way', based on the attitudes we seem to fall back here on as our "right as well dressed folks to criticize everyone'.

If we are honestly confident and happy about how we dress, it should not matter to us how others dress. It is only when we need to feel better or superior about the choice, that we let the rest creep in.

The only way more people will catch on and dress nicer, is if -nice- people provide a great example. Just dressing well, does not provide that example, if people can see the attitude behind that dressing well stinks.

The Fedora Lounge should be the good encouraging example of things, not the negative talking, people bashing place.

Lead by example, not by complaining.

Very well said.

Foofoogal

Banned
House Beautiful's cover story is about home builders who are creating new mansions that look like crack, slum houses. They have roofs with missing shingles and dirt lawns. You have your choice of broken or boarded up windows. The deluxe models come with the above mentioned special Corolla for your lawn.

Hollywood elite are racing to be the first to have these stylish must haves.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
now I know I must be on another planet. what a year!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They'll Do It Every Time!

i060621tdiet.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I think making a point of projecting an image of chaos or disorder is all right, in the same way that intentionally creating an image of order or tradition is pretty cool. I think it's admirable to cultivate and achieve a look. Why not? It's just fashion.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
OMG! I went out today to the antiques mall in *gasp* a sweatshirt layered over a tee-shirt, with faded (but not torn) jeans! Not to mention the fact that I didn't shave today, but my hair was groomed. Does that mean I'm going to get a visit from the fashion police? lol
tt2.gif

Certainly, I might have looked a bit like a bum, but I wasn't out to impress anybody. It was just comfortable clothing. That I think is the underlying factor behind this trend (clothing-wise). You've heard of "comfort food"? This is perhaps, "comfort clothing".

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Factual and complete reasons and answers!

After grueling seconds of exhaustive research, I am going to give factual and complete reasons and answers to MK's actual question, "Why is the Unemployed Look Popular?”

Because of the "the endless teenager" syndrome. Because most people are suckers for ADVERTISING! If the guy in the ad dresses that way it “must” be KEWL. They must run out and buy what ever they are selling. Because super models /actors look good in anything, and advertisers know, you’ll buy it ‘cuz you think you look like one too. Because this society is focused on, youth worship. Therefore, if some snot nosed kid does it, it must be done to look like their young too. Because Hollywood said so. Because if it is comfortable it must be good ‘cuz comfort is priority one. Because we teach “tolerance” in schools. Because Dr. Spock said; "Don’t spank my baby!” Opps, er….that’s my problem. Where was I …oh yea, 'cuz most people have taste for poop. Because of the Hey look at me!, narcissistic syndrome. Because you’re a unique little snowflake, just like everybody else. (ie: just because your unique does not mean you are useful) Because like P.T. Barnum said; "theirs a sucker born every minute!"

Young people want to separate themselves from the previous generation (read adults). They do it to be different, to be able to identify each other. Same with the "lingo" thing. Now it has gotten weird because this look has gone on so long the newfound adults do not know when or how to transition into adulthood when they arrive. So now, you see 35-year-old and up, men dressing to like teenagers. Case in point, 50-year-old actors with BED HEAD hair do's. Pathetic! Grow up and dress/act like a man! :rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: In addition, one more thing, MK, explain Tom Brown fashion to me. Bet that would be another good thread to start! :eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
get_atomized said:
I think making a point of projecting an image of chaos or disorder is all right, in the same way that intentionally creating an image of order or tradition is pretty cool.
Which look do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW