Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is the Bum Look Popular? (formally the unemployed look)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This thread is not about clothes at all.

Clothes, are fashion. Fashion changes and morphs over time. What is popular today was not popular in the 70's...or the 1870's for that matter.

Sadly, what this thread is about is applying -one arbitrary standard- to people other then ourselves, and finding out that everyone else fails but some mythical -us-.

Have standards for how you want to look. That is following a fashion just as much as someone who wears a different sort of clothing, one that perhaps we don't see the -value- in. Trust me, most of the rest of the populace sees -no value- in how 'we' dress either.

If the Golden Era was so spectacular for fashion and all the older folks thought so, then why is every granny I see....in a cotton pantsuit? And most granddads are in khakis and a loose shirt?

If the people who -had- to wear the things we revere as 'the pinnacle of fashion' have no use for them, we are wearing 'just as much a contrived costume' as the stars people keep posting.

We are free to wear what we want, as are they.

We are free to judge them for that, as they are free to judge us. But by literally 'assuming that anyone who does not share the same fashion value as we do' is somehow 'sloppy, substandard, a criminal.....'

I personally find the greatest joy in encountering and getting to know people 'not like me'....turns out, they are usually wonderful people and by setting them aside...you only shortchange yourself.

mister7

Familiar Face
"I shave daily. I am assuming you are referring to my goatee or vandyke as some call it. I don't let it grow wild. I trim it regularly."

It looks like the facial hair sported by most of the street bums I encounter on my way to work every day. I don't believe you can sport that kind of facial hair in the military or police forces I am familiar with. In most places clean shaven means just that, no facial hair.

I am not knocking it, just questioning the apparent contradiction in your statements. I personally believe in sporting your own sense of style.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just to be clear, though it is impossible to read a book from its cover, I still like me fancy bindings. :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mister7 said:
MK -- If it is so unbearable in those you are holding in contempt, why aren't you clean shaven?

mister7 said:
facial hair sported by most of the street bums

ANMVA11CAC5WPVSCAGRGCJFCAOMDLAECAIC.jpg

mister7

Familiar Face
Sorry Tommy, but observation does not equal contempt!

I am all for looking the way that makes you happy. I personally like long hair and loose fitting clothes. I'm sure many here would take me for a bum!

Well, except for not smelling bad, wearing clean clothes and changing them every day!

mister7

Familiar Face
"Plenty of NYC cops have facial hair. Even the ladies.."

LOL!

edit: actually that might be true here also, but I think it is an acquired privilege. Pretty sure you have to start clean shaven, but I guess I've seen some detectives with facial hair. I don't think I'm wrong about the military though. One of my pals told me that it was a big problem for our soldiers in Afghanistan, the locals hold clean shaven men in contempt. Apparently we let some of our Special Forces guys grow beards just for that reason.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Although facial hair wasn't the norm in the Golden Era it wasn't unheard of or necessarily verboten. It was simply looked down upon in certain segments of society. Plenty of academics, artists, and several first and second generation immigrants had facial hair.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
I would not call it the unemployed look. It is really the "bum" look, and seems to be just another way for the Hollywood elites and realted nuts to thumb their noses at civilization and all that is good.

carter

I'll Lock Up
FStephenMasek said:
I would not call it the unemployed look. It is really the "bum" look, and seems to be just another way for the Hollywood elites and realted nuts to thumb their noses at civilization and all that is good.
Who are the arbiters of "civilization and all that is good"?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
MisterGrey said:
Although facial hair wasn't the norm in the Golden Era it wasn't unheard of or necessarily verboten. It was simply looked down upon in certain segments of society. Plenty of academics, artists, and several first and second generation immigrants had facial hair.

Errol%20Flynn.jpg

clark-gable.jpg

David_Niven.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner