Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

jglf

A-List Customer
I own 2 Vanson’s and had no idea that there was a center lining pleat. I have to concur that these jackets have the most range of movement for a slim cut.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I own 2 Vanson’s and had no idea that there was a center lining pleat. I have to concur that these jackets have the most range of movement for a slim cut.
Only the E with the full action back has the pleated lining. If the jacket design doesn’t have a full action back then no center pleat in the lining.
Vanson is more a East coast brand. You don’t see a lot of Vanson’s out West. The guy I was talking about is on the West coast. It shall soon be revealed.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Go Vanson or go home !!

Attachments

• E8A11977-4DD8-42CC-86DA-FAC5DEFCF0E9.jpeg
    E8A11977-4DD8-42CC-86DA-FAC5DEFCF0E9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,361

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda Bates, gotta be. Though Vanson has got lots of colors too. I still need a Vanson in the gray CW.
Warmer. But the LA guys are all too expensive. For the money I could fly to MA get fitted and buy that custom Vanson and still have money left over for a couple steak dinners. And the jacket would still be better than what I could get in LA.
View attachment 345041
Light gray with a black mouton collar, right J?
B
And the belt!
That was the best Highwayman. How on earth did he find it. And WHY did he sell it!

Warmer. But the LA guys are all too expensive. For the money I could fly to MA get fitted and buy that custom Vanson and still have money left over for a couple steak dinners. And the jacket would still be better than what I could get in LA.

That was the best Highwayman. How on earth did he find it. And WHY did he sell it!

And why didn’t he sell it to me?!?

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
Just left Vanson with a Dakota model in Firenze. Thought I was going to get the CW, but I don’t ride anymore, spend my winters in Florida and the medium weight was much more comfortable to me. It was a very tough decision, but I’ve been trying to break in my Aero HB cxl fqhh for the last 4 months and the medium weight felt great.
If I wasn’t retired - I’d have left with both!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
^^^Well Done! It must be very comfortable to wear this jacket. This is what I am trying to point out, the small things Vanson does well but are not advertised. Whenever they put an action back or gusseted shoulders, they would actually make it functional by pairing it with a pleat in the lining. This is where all the other higher end makers fail. And why I assume a lot of people here say Aero has bad pattern. It's not bad pattern, just their lining design, there is no extra material to pull at when you activate those gussets. And when you really compare the Vanson lineup and the Aero lineup, you will see that Vanson also has a lot of different designs, not just for moto. The only thing Vanson is lacking is the choices of leather. Had I known what I know today, I would of just bought a custom run of Horween CXL leather and sent it to Vanson for a group of jackets, instead of spending more for the premium makers. But without doing so, I wouldn't know what I know. Back to the story of my life... Did the chicken or the egg comes first, or hindsight is always 20/20. Anyways, enjoy your comfy jacket when fall comes!

Coriu

One Too Many
^^^Well Done! It must be very comfortable to wear this jacket. This is what I am trying to point out, the small things Vanson does well but are not advertised. Whenever they put an action back or gusseted shoulders, they would actually make it functional by pairing it with a pleat in the lining. This is where all the other higher end makers fail. And why I assume a lot of people here say Aero has bad pattern. It's not bad pattern, just their lining design, there is no extra material to pull at when you activate those gussets. And when you really compare the Vanson lineup and the Aero lineup, you will see that Vanson also has a lot of different designs, not just for moto. The only thing Vanson is lacking is the choices of leather. Had I known what I know today, I would of just bought a custom run of Horween CXL leather and sent it to Vanson for a group of jackets, instead of spending more for the premium makers. But without doing so, I wouldn't know what I know. Back to the story of my life... Did the chicken or the egg comes first, or hindsight is always 20/20. Anyways, enjoy your comfy jacket when fall comes!

That is an interesting perspective, and one that applies to many forms of collecting. It pays to be patient and take one's time learning in any form of collecting. One can waste a lot of money getting to the point where the light bulb goes off and we finally figure things out.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
In 1982, I purchased my first new Vanson Jacket. It was a nice want to be g-1. I did like it, and it was cool to wear around. At that time, it was trendy to rock the jacket in the "bigger/looser fit? I remember seeing them in Rome by motorcycle guys everywhere. They were also using the Schott 184sm similar to the "G" but the Schott did have a more practical removable lining. Later that year, I purchased the Schott because of the lining in the jacket. Very convenient here in Southern California.
It is funny, I just saw both being mentioned in the For Sale links.

The Internet allows people to see many options these days. Vanson like other few brands can offer a bang for your dollar. I just got a nice used Vanson j27p. Nearly as nice as the lost worlds' replica, but what I paid was a quarter of the price the lw demands.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
A random thought crossed my mind while thinking about the whole "wish I had known" concept. I see a number of young, lean guys on TFL wearing very tight-fitting jackets. Unless one's plan is to have a completely new collection when you are older, or give your jackets to your children, I think it would be crushing to have an expensive collection of "wearable" jackets, none of which fit 20 years from now. So, if the style allows for it and it is feasible, you may want to budget a little extra room to allow for expansion as you get older. Obviously that may not work for a Cafe Racer. And I'm not suggesting looking like a tent...it's just a consideration. It's not something that we think about when we are in our 20's, but it hits you hard when you hit your 40's and beyond.

Last edited:
A random thought crossed my mind while thinking about the whole "wish I had known" concept. I see a number of young, lean guys on TFL wearing very tight-fitting jackets. Unless one's plan is to have a completely new collection when you are older, or give your jackets to your children, I think it would be crushing to have an expensive collection of "wearable" jackets, none of which fit 20 years from now. So, if the style allows for it and it is feasible, you may want to budget a little extra room to allow for expansion as you get older. Obviously that may not work for a Cafe Racer. And I'm not suggesting looking like a tent...it's just a consideration. It's not something that we think about when we are in our 20's, but it hits you hard when you hit your 40's and beyond.
I'm more worried about shrinking with age!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm more worried about shrinking with age!
Full length side corseted gussets are your friend! Better for fit than half belts or just cinches at the hem. I too have expanded and shrink a few sizes in my past. Most of that just happen in the waist. Waist 32 to 36 back down to 32, and maybe up to 36 again someday. Go Vanson E!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto