Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

Al 916

One Too Many
As you can imagine, that took some time to absorb.

This morning..

_20220829_171810.JPG

Late afternoon. I thought I would try something new rather than Obenauf's heavy. I went for a conditioner rather than a wax.

Gliptone GT11.

DSC_0146.JPG

Goes on very easily, cream consistency, sipped it up nicely.

_20220829_171712.JPG

_20220829_171631.JPG

We'll see how it goes From dusk till dawn...

Last edited:
As you can imagine, that took some time to absorb.

This morning..

View attachment 447709

Late afternoon. I thought I would try something new rather than Obenauf's heavy. I went for a conditioner rather than a wax.

Gliptone GT11.

View attachment 447710

Goes on very easily, cream consistency, sipped it up nicely.

View attachment 447711

View attachment 447712

We'll see how it goes From dusk till dawn...
Nice work and you’ve assembled a quality collection of titles in the process!

Al 916

One Too Many
If you ride or have ridden you'll know what I mean about bonding or meshing with a bike, it becomes part of you (and you of it I suppose).
I'm sure this happens with other things in the same way, just my explanation.

When I was a kid I rode a bit, the bike a Z650 and the jacket a Kett fringed CZ. I Grok'd the bike and the leather.

I wax lyrical only because I was not bonding with the A.

Now I know every scratch, seam and graining of it. After 25 years of blood sweat and beers the leather is cleaned and conditioned (as are my hands). Who wears wins..

Job done.

_20220830_184134[60].JPG

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
It's a no brainier for me; Of all the jackets that I have had & tried on, I will still place Vanson at or at least near the very top of my list of makers that are all around closest to creating perfection. They have (had) their share of duds but a Vanson that works. . . Hard to recall anything else that even compares, let alone matches it and I will controversially throw Langlitz in as a perfect example of a brand that's blown out of proportions while not even being in the same race.

While I just can't seem to hold on to a jacket for an extended period of time but I think the only ones I to this day regret letting go are all by Vanson. Earlier this year I contacted the person to whom sold my Vanson trucker, hoping I would buying it back & I told them to just name the price. I wasn't surprised at all when I got a reply that this jacket is the last thing they would sell.

But anyway, my thoughts on the subject...

Pros...
Perfectly built & fitting jackets; Again, not all but mostly anything from their flagship line will fit you like million bucks. Do a search for Vanson's Model E, for example, some of the guys on TFL wear theirs better than anything by any brand that I have seen, especially vintage pieces.

Quality that transcends "civilian" makers; To repeat myself, Vanson is rooted in motorcycle equipment and a lot of advanced features that are part of professional racing gear made their way into their more casually styled jackets which basically has no drawbacks.

In short, it's safe to say you can expect a pretty solid product from a maker that innovates on a premise of having customers basically entrusting them with their lives.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations; Vanson will make you ANYTHING you can think of, in any leather you wish, provided you can source it. You know how crazy racing suits can get so you'd be hard pressed to think of something Vanson will shy from.
This is something that's been recognized by many high fashion brands & designers, which is why they often do collaborations of such kind.

Just recently I spoke to the owner of another jacket company about Vanson's Bones suit and they told me they have no clue how they do it on a mass scale.

Cons...
Right now, the only thing I dislike about Vanson is their Comp. weight leather and that's something that has sucked for quite a while now. While I can't recall a better fitting & more comfortable jacket than my last Model A, I sadly had to sell it after a few days 'cause I just couldn't stand the leather it was made of.

But all in all, objectively speaking, Vanson is the kind of maker mostly anything out there can (and should) only strive to match, let alone surpass.
Hi
What was so bad about the leather your Vanson jacket was made of?

Bluechel

Practically Family
The Vansons I own break down to probably three levels (broadly speaking) of hide quality. There’s the lighter weight version leather which has its place for some, there’s the newer leather which always disappoints (for me) then there’s the true (late?) 80’s-90’s amazing Comp Weight which is so damn nice you’ll never want to let it go. This is a super simplified statement please forgive the broade generalization but what I’m trying to say is…if you get one of their good ones…it’ll be a bond you’ll never forget!

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
I just acquired a Vanson AR Jacket. The Leather is so Thick and Heavy. I sent in the Serial Number to Nick at Vanson to see if he can tell me when made. For sure not in the 80-90’s but I don’t think made lately.
I post pictures when I get back home. Thank You for sharing your expectancies Very Helpful.
Pete

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
The Vansons I own break down to probably three levels (broadly speaking) of hide quality. There’s the lighter weight version leather which has its place for some, there’s the newer leather which always disappoints (for me) then there’s the true (late?) 80’s-90’s amazing Comp Weight which is so damn nice you’ll never want to let it go. This is a super simplified statement please forgive the broade generalization but what I’m trying to say is…if you get one of their good ones…it’ll be a bond you’ll never forget!
Here is my New Vanson Model AR. No Zip In Liner Style. The Leather is Or Feels so Thick. The Jacket can actually stand up by itself.
So far as Nice as My Schott Horsehide Jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpeg
    IMG_5316.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5322.jpeg
    IMG_5322.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5321.jpeg
    IMG_5321.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5320.jpeg
    IMG_5320.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
It's a no brainier for me; Of all the jackets that I have had & tried on, I will still place Vanson at or at least near the very top of my list of makers that are all around closest to creating perfection. They have (had) their share of duds but a Vanson that works. . . Hard to recall anything else that even compares, let alone matches it and I will controversially throw Langlitz in as a perfect example of a brand that's blown out of proportions while not even being in the same race.

While I just can't seem to hold on to a jacket for an extended period of time but I think the only ones I to this day regret letting go are all by Vanson. Earlier this year I contacted the person to whom sold my Vanson trucker, hoping I would buying it back & I told them to just name the price. I wasn't surprised at all when I got a reply that this jacket is the last thing they would sell.

But anyway, my thoughts on the subject...

Pros...
Perfectly built & fitting jackets; Again, not all but mostly anything from their flagship line will fit you like million bucks. Do a search for Vanson's Model E, for example, some of the guys on TFL wear theirs better than anything by any brand that I have seen, especially vintage pieces.

Quality that transcends "civilian" makers; To repeat myself, Vanson is rooted in motorcycle equipment and a lot of advanced features that are part of professional racing gear made their way into their more casually styled jackets which basically has no drawbacks.

In short, it's safe to say you can expect a pretty solid product from a maker that innovates on a premise of having customers basically entrusting them with their lives.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations; Vanson will make you ANYTHING you can think of, in any leather you wish, provided you can source it. You know how crazy racing suits can get so you'd be hard pressed to think of something Vanson will shy from.
This is something that's been recognized by many high fashion brands & designers, which is why they often do collaborations of such kind.

Just recently I spoke to the owner of another jacket company about Vanson's Bones suit and they told me they have no clue how they do it on a mass scale.

Cons...
Right now, the only thing I dislike about Vanson is their Comp. weight leather and that's something that has sucked for quite a while now. While I can't recall a better fitting & more comfortable jacket than my last Model A, I sadly had to sell it after a few days 'cause I just couldn't stand the leather it was made of.

But all in all, objectively speaking, Vanson is the kind of maker mostly anything out there can (and should) only strive to match, let alone surpass.
Hi
Sorry if I am reposting this reply.
I just received a Vanson Model AR new with tags. I don’t think it’s from this year. I send a e mail over to Vanson with the Serial Number. Hope they can help when made. The leather is Thick and Heavy. I think heaver then my Schott 141.

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpeg
    IMG_5320.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5321.jpeg
    IMG_5321.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5322.jpeg
    IMG_5322.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5318.jpeg
    IMG_5318.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84

Bluechel

Practically Family
Hi
Sorry if I am reposting this reply.
I just received a Vanson Model AR new with tags. I don’t think it’s from this year. I send a e mail over to Vanson with the Serial Number. Hope they can help when made. The leather is Thick and Heavy. I think heaver then my Schott 141.
I'm a 50 too! We take lots more leather, ha! Congrats on your new friend. Wear it well!

Wolverine

New in Town
Vanson.

If you ride, you get it. And, in America, we HAVE it GOOD! :)

[“Over-engineered” deliberately and on purpose, and best fit OTR there is (spot on and just works) --- I’ve dozens of leather jackets [more than 3 dozen in current rotation in fact (not counting Shearlings (+6) or Suedes (+6, one of which is a Vanson), leather or leather/wool Hockey/Stadium/”Varsity” jackets (+5, one of which is a Vanson), or dedicated MC jackets (armored, or at least armor ready, +8, half of which are Vanson (Comet, Road King, Vent Max (“free air” leather shirt-jacket), Brighton (custom, old school armor-ready Scooter jacket (not autobahn / US highways post OPEC “crisis” and raising of speed limits, etc.)], and of those 3 dozen+, about a third of which are Vanson (others: Schott (USA), Aero (Scotland), Johnson’s SF (USA), Brimaco (Canada), Harley (pre off shore), and a great many custom / bespoke (NYC, Montreal, London)]. When it comes to safety (motorcyclists make up less than .6 percent of road users, yet nearly 20% of road fatalities -- all those moving “bill boards” never mind inclement weather and other road hazards were enough to worry about, and with the speed limits raised (combined w texting & driving, etc.), I trust i.e. Vanson. When it comes to "good looks" AND safety, wouldn’t leave my house without a Vanson, and even my non-armored ones (fashion jackets, but over engineered deliberately on purpose, if just deeking out down the street or cross town on city streets to the pub to meet friends or something, wouldn’t hesitate to throw on any one of my so-called “fashion” Vansons (aka non-armored / armor ready), trust my limbs and life to them (thick leather, but also PROPER stitching (everywhere that it matters, and if you ride, you know that it does), in my opinion, just that good. And, let’s be honest as this is a “style” board, look great, too.

Innovation. Dedication. Commitment including participation and sponsorship of moto sports and riders (see, for e.g., their contingency program(s) along with their vendor schedule and sponsorship booths, etc.) they don’t just “talk the talk, but walk the walk” (it’s in their DNA, and everything they do: whether military / police, sport riders, track or dyed-in-the-wool rider (distance touring and/or daily all-weather commuter, etc.), trickles down to the everyday, casual walk-about jacket, too.

TL / DNR: if you ride, you get it. Shame about their leather factory supplier burning down (LOVE that octagon, similar to CXL only better, and so glad I got one when I did, unarmored version sadly, and when went to order an armored jacket or at least armor-ready in this leather learned about the situation and cried with them, as want more– then, don’t we all). As to their “new” comp weight supplier, give it a chance, folks. Let it air, let it be worn, enjoyed and patina, you think Vanson, a company that’s been around since practically “forever” in this MC world, could go on “heritage” but doesn’t (bang for your buck? O, yes!), would suddenly in this crowd, the MC incl. daily commuters and racing folks who depend on them (their very lives and limbs) … never mind.

So many Americans these days (and Canadians, too, sadly, perhaps a North American thing?) somehow think if it doesn’t cost a ton, it’s not worth it and buy into “brand” / marketing which “brand” used to mean something (quality, assurance, innovation, etc.), but these days sadly brand has for most become just a label (designer long dead, fashion students long taken over, fashion and trends, etc., never mind cutting quality and skills, and zero innovation, some nice lamb or something made “off shore” for over a thousand bucks or more for instance?), whatever. (Actual) Riders and conscious consumers know better. Vanson is what it always was, qua "brand" , and value in turn: MC trickled down to street, and don’t follow trends per se but ARE the trend. The Edge. Yes, America, we have it GOOD!

(If you Ride, You Get it, and, even if you don’t, put one on and “get it” , too, which bears repeating. Nuff said).

Attachments

• Vanson.jpg
    Vanson.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

FWIW the new comp weight is amazing.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Vanson.

[“Over-engineered” deliberately and on purpose, and best fit OTR there is (spot on and just works) --- I’ve dozens of leather jackets [more than 3 dozen in current rotation in fact (not counting Shearlings (+6) or Suedes (+6, one of which is a Vanson), leather or leather/wool Hockey/Stadium/”Varsity” jackets (+5, one of which is a Vanson), or dedicated MC jackets (armored, or at least armor ready, +8, half of which are Vanson (Comet, Road King, Vent Max (“free air” leather shirt-jacket), Brighton (custom, old school armor-ready Scooter jacket (not autobahn / US highways post OPEC “crisis” and raising of speed limits, etc.)], and of those 3 dozen+, about a third of which are Vanson (others: Schott (USA), Aero (Scotland), Johnson’s SF (USA), Brimaco (Canada), Harley (pre off shore), and a great many custom / bespoke (NYC, Montreal, London)]. When it comes to safety (motorcyclists make up less than .6 percent of road users, yet nearly 20% of road fatalities -- all those moving “bill boards” never mind inclement weather and other road hazards were enough to worry about, and with the speed limits raised (combined w texting & driving, etc.), I trust i.e. Vanson. When it comes to "good looks" AND safety, wouldn’t leave my house without a Vanson, and even my non-armored ones (fashion jackets, but over engineered deliberately on purpose, if just deeking out down the street or cross town on city streets to the pub to meet friends or something, wouldn’t hesitate to throw on any one of my so-called “fashion” Vansons (aka non-armored / armor ready), trust my limbs and life to them (thick leather, but also PROPER stitching (everywhere that it matters, and if you ride, you know that it does), in my opinion, just that good. And, let’s be honest as this is a “style” board, look great, too.

Innovation. Dedication. Commitment including participation and sponsorship of moto sports and riders (see, for e.g., their contingency program(s) along with their vendor schedule and sponsorship booths, etc.) they don’t just “talk the talk, but walk the walk” (it’s in their DNA, and everything they do: whether military / police, sport riders, track or dyed-in-the-wool rider (distance touring and/or daily all-weather commuter, etc.), trickles down to the everyday, casual walk-about jacket, too.

TL / DNR: if you ride, you get it. Shame about their leather factory supplier burning down (LOVE that octagon, similar to CXL only better, and so glad I got one when I did, unarmored version sadly, and when went to order an armored jacket or at least armor-ready in this leather learned about the situation and cried with them, as want more– then, don’t we all). As to their “new” comp weight supplier, give it a chance, folks. Let it air, let it be worn, enjoyed and patina, you think Vanson, a company that’s been around since practically “forever” in this MC world, could go on “heritage” but doesn’t (bang for your buck? O, yes!), would suddenly in this crowd, the MC incl. daily commuters and racing folks who depend on them (their very lives and limbs) … never mind.

So many Americans these days (and Canadians, too, sadly, perhaps a North American thing?) somehow think if it doesn’t cost a ton, it’s not worth it and buy into “brand” / marketing which “brand” used to mean something (quality, assurance, innovation, etc.), but these days sadly brand has for most become just a label (designer long dead, fashion students long taken over, fashion and trends, etc., never mind cutting quality and skills, and zero innovation, some nice lamb or something made “off shore” for over a thousand bucks or more for instance?), whatever. (Actual) Riders and conscious consumers know better. Vanson is what it always was, qua "brand" , and value in turn: MC trickled down to street, and don’t follow trends per se but ARE the trend. The Edge. Yes, America, we have it GOOD!

(If you Ride, You Get it, and, even if you don’t, put one on and “get it” , too, which bears repeating. Nuff said).
Thank You for this Great Review and Experience with Vanson Jackets.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Vanson.

LOVE it, love them. Love my Vansons. Curate a batch for yourselves folks, this can’t last forever!! I rode year ‘round in LA for 17 years and I sure get it, but now, off my bike, still love them! Nothing quite like a good Vanson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21