Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wigs

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
CherryBombRock said:
Has anyone got any good links for just the ponytail hair pieces? I love having short hair but I do mourn my ponytail for that cute 50s look. My hair is a dark reddish/mousey (!) colour so finding one to match is so difficult!

Dr.locks sells them. I don't know about matching if yours is difficult, but if you splurge on a human hair ponytail your stylist can dye it to match your hair.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
CherryBombRock said:
Has anyone got any good links for just the ponytail hair pieces? I love having short hair but I do mourn my ponytail for that cute 50s look. My hair is a dark reddish/mousey (!) colour so finding one to match is so difficult!
I don't know any links to any faux pony tails but I have seen them at Walgreens. My hair color sounds pretty darn close to how you're describing your own...they have some in that color. I've also tried the tip from (I believe anyways) Bellahell.....that is undoing the pony tail from the clip and use it as an extension...I have not yet fully accomplished this though. I'm still having a hard time getting the bobby pins to keep everything where it should be!:mad:

Jenautica

Familiar Face
I've heard that you can dust a synthetic wig with cornstarch to take some of the shine out. Although, I'm a bit skeptical about doing that to any color darker than light blonde. Has anyone tried?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
The best way to change your natural color somewhat frequently is to go with semipermanent color~ Redken Shades EQ and Pravana are excellent and shiny. But you must let them fade off before going to another color to get best results. They will not harm your hair at all. The only thing that harms it is going lighter. So if you want that look, I always suggest it for summer. Go blonde, then when you start getting roots and can't stand it try the other semi shades for the rest of the year and start over the next summer.

Nikki
I'm glad you mentioned this because I've got a lot of red highlights, but in the winter they seem to fade, which I don't want! But I am a bit scared of buying a store dye since the last time I used one, it did nothing good for my hair, so as far as semi-permanent colors go, which one's are the best that won't leave your hair all frizzy?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
I'm glad you mentioned this because I've got a lot of red highlights, but in the winter they seem to fade, which I don't want! But I am a bit scared of buying a store dye since the last time I used one, it did nothing good for my hair, so as far as semi-permanent colors go, which one's are the best that won't leave your hair all frizzy?
My sister has naturally red hair, and had NEVER colored it before. We used a demi-permanent color by Clairol-Herbal Essesances called Color Flirt. It punched up the color a bit without being obviously dyed, and left no damage. It has no chemicals that open up your hair shaft, the color instead "coats" your hair and washes off in 8-12 shampoos I believe. I used it myself, the black shade over blonde hair. I really liked it, but after a few shampoos my blonde started to peep through, and it would a little weird! The red also looked really natural on my sis, we knew my mom would kill us if she found out she has colored her hair, and mom never caught on. :D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
I don't know any links to any faux pony tails but I have seen them at Walgreens. My hair color sounds pretty darn close to how you're describing your own...they have some in that color. I've also tried the tip from (I believe anyways) Bellahell.....that is undoing the pony tail from the clip and use it as an extension...I have not yet fully accomplished this though. I'm still having a hard time getting the bobby pins to keep everything where it should be!:mad:

Oh that's too bad you're having trouble! Are you teasing and spraying the heck out of the portion at your nape?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sorry all, I don't know anything about box colors from the store. Redken and Pravana are professional lines.

If it says it washes out in 8-10 shampoos, or 4-6 weeks then it *should* be semi permanent and safe. But if any of you have used these and you still end up with darker roots coming in, then the product had too much peroxide in it was really wasn't semi perm. You cannot go lighter with semi, only the same level or darker, and remember that color will not lighten color, only bleach can do that.

Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I bought a semi-permanent hair color the other day, and it turned out awesome! I was really impressed with how much red it put back into my hair.
Here's a bit of trivia for you; I was reading an article in Times magazine on the golden era, anyways it said L'oreal was the first one to come up with a hair dye in 1907....for all this time, I thought Clairol were the first hair dye inventors

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Oh that's too bad you're having trouble! Are you teasing and spraying the heck out of the portion at your nape?
lol duh...ok, silly me, I just stuck the pins in the back of my hair..ok, time to try this again!!!!!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
As a last resort to a problem I have been having, I may have to be sporting a version of Brit Spears latest do. So as a prepatory measure I have been looking around on the net at wigs and decided to see if anyone here may have some input. I am looking for a cooler one, cooler as in not frying my head in the hot desert summer sun. Any one have any suggestions?

Viviene

Vendor
As a suggestion go look at wigs now while you still have your hair the way it is. When my mom knew she was going to have chemotherapy for lung cancer we went wig shopping prior to her hair loss. This way the people at the wig store were able to see how she wore her hair and were able to help her choose what would look best. Her goal was to have her wig look like her natural hair as much as possible.

After going through treatment for a year she decided to have some fun and bought several different color wigs and styles. It was her way of keeping it as fun as possible.

This may be a good time to try new styles or if you're looking for a vintage look to check it out. Good luck with your search. It's a hard thing to go through and my best wishes are with you.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Thank you. Actually though, its thankfully not chemo. I have a build up of spinal fluid in my head 'cuz, to put it simply, my brain hangs low, lol, it's blocking the spinal canal. So if the dr decides to forgo the next treatment because of said blockage which he thinks may make it worse, cuz the current really isnt helping at all, the last result is the chip a bit of the skull away.

SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO, I am starting to look at wigs, just in case.
I'll know more after Wednessday. At least now I know I'm not crazy, which is what previous drs made me feel when I started having migranes a few years ago. And on the plus side, the pressure behind my eyes, kinda gets like a head rush so I have fun at work when I change position from being bent over to standing back up, keeps things interesting! lol

Viviene

Vendor
I'm glad it's not chemo. I figured it was something else going on for you. A lot of the time in the summer my mom would just wear a loose hat or a bandanna around the house, but she always wore a wig out in public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran