Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wigs

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I added a few pics to the Halloween album, last row. I wore the fake bangs to our xmas party last year too, we had a 50's theme. My skirt was vintage but had a 24in waist and I was 40 pounds heavier then.. so I folded down the waistband and made a wide belt to cover it. The cat is tacked on. The black dress and hat are vintage, wore them to work when our friend had her 40th birthday. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343344614
The 'bangs' were actually a little 'chignon' clip that was supposed to go at the nape of your neck or whatever. I cut the clip off and they worked great for a rolled bang! The chignon in the avitar is a long pony tail that I use a lot.
(I apologize folks, yahoo is messed up with their new format, this should work now and you can see ALL of the pics I talked about!)

Does your local mall have one of those little booths that you can try some on for color match? That would be a good place to start.

Nikki

olive bleu

One Too Many
I think wigs would be a lot of fun! I have dark brown hair, and i would love to try being blond.I would love wigs to wear out.Not around my family necessarrily, they think I'm cracked as it is.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have bought costume wigs from these guys and been to their store:
http://www.wilshirewigs.com/

Hairpieces are also great. I just went to a victorian event and was wearing 5 of them- all at once ;) two ringlets for the back, a huge chignon, and two braided headbands

Lauren

lol yup! Especially when I was dancing the Polka. All stayed put, though. The glory of bobby pins and hairspray...

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
How about those lace front wigs? They are supposed to be really good.

Ms. Bella, you look so lovely in your avatar.

Are you taking about the wigs that have a strip of tule looking stuff along the forehead where you glue it on? I have had to wear these for stage productions which they are great for, but in face to face situations the lace is VERY obvious.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lauren I was wondering about your Marie Antoinette wig? It was the perfect powered look!! Amazing! (along with your gown of course, they should've had YOU on their costume crew!!)

Vargas, try looking up lace front or lace cap wigs on ebay. Many of the new men's wigs have it. A very thin, clear plastic mesh. Look very natural, esp. if you're a bald dude, lol..

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/...60762343344614
The 'bangs' were actually a little 'chignon' clip that was supposed to go at the nape of your neck or whatever. I cut the clip off and they worked great for a rolled bang! The chignon in the avitar is a long pony tail that I use a lot.
(I apologize folks, yahoo is messed up with their new format, this should work now and you can see ALL of the pics I talked about!)

Nikki

Rosie

One Too Many
VargasGirl said:
Are you taking about the wigs that have a strip of tule looking stuff along the forehead where you glue it on? I have had to wear these for stage productions which they are great for, but in face to face situations the lace is VERY obvious.

Yes, I've never worn one but supposedly they are all the rage now. I never really knew much about them but apparently people wear them in everyday situations. [huh] Here is one on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/LACE-FRONT-WIG-READY-NOW-BEYONCE-STYLE-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ110059883189QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, interesting... I don't know, I think I would still be self concious that the line along the front would still be visible. Gosh, this is bringing back memories of having to use Spirit Gum, the theater glue you use to stick it on. I guess if I could find one that is pre-styled to the 40's I would give it a shot. :) I have found 40's wigs, but they are costume and can't imagine they would look real.

Lauren

ohairas said:
Lauren I was wondering about your Marie Antoinette wig? It was the perfect powered look!! Amazing! (along with your gown of course, they should've had YOU on their costume crew!!)

Aww... thanks! It was actually from Ebay and I can't find the seller anymore!

The secret to the wig was that it was too shiny when I got it so I never wore it out much. I was in Hot Topic picking up things for my halloween costume and I noticed they had white spray in hair color, so I bought a can, went back, and sprayed the heck out of my wig! It really did the trick making it look powdered!

This company on Ebay usually has pretty good costume wigs, but they're all shiny too because they're synthetic:
Seconds-Please

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
There are 4 different kinds of wig lace (That strip of tulle at the hairline.) The finest is the super-fine film lace, that's used for facial hair and for the fronts of wigs for film. Then there is regular film lace, theater lace, and opera lace. In my experience, well-applied theater lace is only visible when you're close to the person. Film lace is very fine, and is theoretically fine enough to work in close-ups for film.

The wig I'm fronting now has super-fine film lace, which is probably a bad idea. It takes forever and is pretty fragile. I can see why my boss' fronted wigs were priced at around $350 apiece (for synthetic). The fully knotted wig she made was priced at 12K (my theater rented it for 500/week). That one was fine enough that you couldn't see the hairline lace in our tiny blackbox. Wigmaking materials are expensive. I spent $65 on the lace and needles for 2 wigs. (Don't try this with cats in the room. Mine go crazy when they see the hair and want to dive in it and roll around.)

My personal favorite method is just to match the wig color to your natural hair, then you can use your own hairline. (I'm a 27).

lavendar lady

New in Town
Nice Wigs

I do not wear wigs. I live next to some places that sell them.Next time i am in the area i will check them out. I will let you know i find out.The cost ,There grade,etc.

L.L.

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
Has anyone got any good links for just the ponytail hair pieces? I love having short hair but I do mourn my ponytail for that cute 50s look. My hair is a dark reddish/mousey (!) colour so finding one to match is so difficult!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran