Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wigs

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
'20s, '30s, '40s-style WIGS

I swore to myself that, for the sake of domestic tranquillity, I'd never post in the Powder Room again. And by and large, I'm keeping to that vow. But here's an exception: a topic / thread / post that is exceptionally inocuous. I'm talking, of course, about ...

WIGS. Wigs with straight black bobbed hair, Louise Brooks-style. Wigs with marcel waves. Wigs a la Betty Grable.

Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60188&item=6888889929

Do you wear wigs in public? Not just at historical recreations or costume parties, but in the everyday world?

What do you think of wigs and hair extensions?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A coworker of mine has gotten hair extensions a few times and she really liked them.

As for a wig, I wouldn't wear one. Various hairdressers have told me I have enough hair for two people. I don't need more.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother used to wear a wig back in the late 60s, when it was the trendy thing to do -- it had little comb thingies in the band that clipped to your real hair and supposedly kept it secure. Except for that time the wind blew it off in front of a crowd of people at the post office. But we dont talk about that anymore.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have worn both wigs and hair extensions, but mostly to costume events. Here's a clip in extension:

843062999_l.jpg

And I've also bought a wig from Seconds-Please. Actually, I think I may have bought two- both 1700's style, but I'm thinking of getting a fingerwave one as well.

Rosie

One Too Many
I cut all my hair off to about one inch earlier this year (I decided to no longer use chemicals in my hair) I purchased an afro texture wig and wore it outside. I braided my hair underneath and then pinned the wig to my hair. Now, my hair is about 6 inches, as I wait for it to grow back to normal, I wear my hair in extensions.

If any of you do decide to purchase a wig or hair pieces DO NOT purchase it from international wig or internationalwig.com, they are terrible, horrible people who use the most awful language in their communications. They sell on ebay also.

My mom has lost a significant amount of her hair do to treatments and medications and she wears a wig daily, she keeps it from falling off with a silicone band I purchased for her and some strategically placed pins.

BTW, Lauren, you look great in that pic!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No wig for me.
I have way too much hair to even begin to think I can cover it with a wig :)
Ive never done extensions either. Ive worn my 'fro' for over ten years chemical free. My hair is the one part of me I LOVE unconditionally (I know, how vain :) ).

LD

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
My friend wears wigs and when her hair was shorter she relied on wiglets to give her that longhair look. If I didn't know her I would have sworn that that was her original hair.

And now that her hair is long, she sometimes wears her marcel wave wig when she wants to add a little bit more vintage vavoom.

Wiglets are fun! I have to wear one when I perform with the Devil-Ettes, this fun go-go dance troupe (very PG) that does dances from the 50s/60s, like the watusi and the frug.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've been known to wear wigs, but my friends complained they don't recognize me. They are kinda scary to wear dancing. They do save time when going out though.

Rosie, I've bought from international wigs, but that was a few years ago, I didn't have any problems, maybe their service has gone down?

I recommend sewing extra clips on wigs, they are called toupee clips, the elastic thingys in the back don't work.

To keep your hair in the wig you can buy a wig cap (stocking cap). Bobby pins can damage a wig, but if you have huge hair then you might need them. You can also get a fall in your color and style your hair in front to cover it.

If your hair gets wispies use gel and hairspray before you put on the wig.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
RetroModelSari said:
Wigs are fantastic! I bought a very cute one here:

http://search.ebay.de/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZsecondsQ2dplease

For the public I wouldn´t wear them. I sweat so much with them on my head ;-) But for photoshoots they are great! I LOVE wigs (if they are well-done and don´t look fake)
I've bought from seconds-please too for a Marion Ravenwood (Indiana Jones) costume:
I got this wig:
http://cgi.ebay.de/40s-50s-Sexy-Sul...9QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and here's how it looks on:
Holly_KarenAllen04.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thought about hair extensions and wigs and tried some wigs over the years but confess I haven't got the guts for it, maybe extensions at a push. Lauren, that is a seriously gorgeous look.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you :eek:

I like the clip in extensions because right now my hair goes a little past my shoulders so it's hard to do any earlier time periods than 1930's. I'm even thinking of making a faux bun next month so I can look more period correct in 20's.... you know, for the gals that didn't choose to bob their hair!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I have always been big into changing the color of my hair for something different. But all of this has done some damage so it's just not possible anymore (at least if I want to continue to grow my hair out!)...I've considered maybe going the wig route, Any of the ladies in here wear them? I've seen some on ebay for reasonable prices, but the idea seems a bit scary, I don't want to buy something and come to find it looks absolutely fake.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Most of my wigs are for costume purposes, but I find that the ones that *really* look fake are the ones without bangs.. all one length. So the softer styled ones should work. I'm wearing one in my halloween pics, so is my husband... if he had a more natural color I think it would've looked pretty good on him. Several people had to ask, lol..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343344549

This obviously looks fake because of color too.. and my hair hanging out the side, but again, if it were a natural shade I don't think it would look bad. They are fun to play with. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343344614/photo/294928803642815339/4

The best way to change your natural color somewhat frequently is to go with semipermanent color~ Redken Shades EQ and Pravana are excellent and shiny. But you must let them fade off before going to another color to get best results. They will not harm your hair at all. The only thing that harms it is going lighter. So if you want that look, I always suggest it for summer. Go blonde, then when you start getting roots and can't stand it try the other semi shades for the rest of the year and start over the next summer.

Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The later picture had a little bit too much shine to the wig....but the first one's- you look great! I absolutely love the costume! the wig looked like real hair as well.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Most synthetic wigs are very shiny. Human hair wigs look great, but are stupidly expensive. If you don't want to wear bangs it is a good idea to get a wig that matches your haircolor so you can use your own hairline. Or you can front the wig with a false hairline, but that's really time consuming. (Been working on mine for 3 days now.) A lot of wigs that come with bangs have bangs that start right in the center of the head, and I don't like that look. I generally prefer to buy a wig without bangs and cut lighter bangs into it. (they'll stand straight up if you don't shape them with a steamer or hairdryer.) but be careful with those tools cause you can melt a synthetic wig pretty easily.

Oddly, I find that one way to kill the shine on a wig is to damage it. It only works if you're going for a curly look, but I intentionally melted mine with a steamer while I was curling it, and the resulting Hermione-ish mass of curlicues was nicely unshiny.

Also, if you get a wig that is a blended color or has highlights instead of a solid-color wig, it looks a little less fake.

I get all of mine from www.cosworx.com

BV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo