Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wildfang Design Visit

Just got back from a short & brilliant trip to Germany where I had a chance to see @red devil again & finally meet @Marc mndt and one of the highlights was a wonderful visit to the Wildfang Design studio in beautiful Lutz.

Can't say I was familiar with their work so when @red devil suggested I tag along, I almost passed on the opportunity, thinking that the nearly 3 hrs drive to Lutz, straight from the airport would be too much for me, especially since nothing much on their website peaked my interest and man, that would've been an epic mistake...

Even though I didn't buy, just the visit to their store / workshop & meeting the owners, Heike and Olaf, made it all worth it. Heck, just driving thru the countryside did, everything else was a bonus.

Anyhow! Wildfang is definitely more... Well, let's say traditional German leather garment oriented - Think modernized lederhosen or classic 60's German motorcycle gear - which at this point, is definitely a long needed breath of fresh air this hobby could certainly only benefit from. However, being full-on bespoke maker, they are happy to alter & do mostly any design, whatever you may come up, as long as it does fit the general aesthetic of the company.

All the fantastic styles of jackets, vests, trousers & miscellaneous leather accessories, from belts to bags, aside, absolute highlight is the insanely rich selection of leathers they got all over the shop, ranging from kinds we all know to hides I never even imagined existed - And I am not talking only about the exotic animals.

It is also there that I had a privilege to try on this absolute beast of a jacket, made from leather the owner measured right before us to be around 4 millimeters in thickness, that clocked at over 6 kilograms. You can see the photo of it lying on the table, below. Shame a certain member never learned about Wildfang 'cause that jacket would've definitely ended his quest...

And when I mentioned how this has got to be the absolute zenith of how heavy a functional leather jacket can be, Olaf shared a story about this Japanese fellow that ordered a jacket from them, made from leather that was 1 centimeter thick. Oh, and he also had it lined in heavy shearling. . .

Anyway, I don't know what else to say. Wildfang is an amazing, unique maker, run buy the most wonderful people, with styles and especially leathers that I don't think I've ever seen offered by anyone else - In fact, that mega-thick leather I mentioned, is tanned by this old guy who's not even in the business anymore and will occasionally deliver a batch only to Wildfang, only per special request - and... If that's what you're after, check 'em out.

20240124-111705.jpg

20240124-111722.jpg

20240124-111729.jpg

20240124-111533.jpg

20240124-111539.jpg

20240124-111546.jpg

20240124-111555.jpg

20240124-111605.jpg

20240124-111610.jpg

20240124-111737.jpg

20240124-111619.jpg

20240124-111627.jpg

20240124-111633.jpg

20240124-111640.jpg

20240124-111651.jpg

20240124-111659.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Cool shop.

That Japanese fellow is also here I think, Mr Arandale, reigning champion of the thickest leather jacket...

Ostrich vest looks cool.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Oh wow, what an amazing trip that sounds like! Thanks for sharing about it. Would love to see even more pictures of their jackets, I had a look at their site and I think your pictures did a better job at making me desire something from their shop.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was definitely great meeting you guys @Monitor and @Marc mndt ! :D

And thanks for the write-up!

Wildfang was first mentioned a few years ago by Robbie79. He hasn't posted here in quite a while. A shame he has the knack of finding interesting lesser-known makers.

Their old website was only in German if I remember correctly and had different pictures posted. I was attracted it to them immediately as they had very different designs so I made sure to visit them when I finally could after the Covid lockdown, and I was not disappointed.

Oh wow, what an amazing trip that sounds like! Thanks for sharing about it. Would love to see even more pictures of their jackets, I had a look at their site and I think your pictures did a better job at making me desire something from their shop.

You only have to ask :)

Will post some pics soon

Shame you guys can't see the Elk jacket in person. It's a tremendous piece of garment and that No. 13 (was it 13?) RiRi is comical in its size.

Great write up, @Monitor!

Next time, some gos, hit me up. Just realised that they are not even 90 minutes away.

Ah damn, should've thought of it!! Would've loved to see you. :( But the trip was really a last minute arrangement and I wasn't even sure I could make it not a three full days before we were to go and Marc and I occasionally talk on WA so I just asked and luckily, he managed to free up some time.

I'm sure this is going to happen again as I know for a fact Red's got an order or two with Wildfang so definitely next time.

red devil

Believe it or not, this jacket was not ordered because of the thickness of the leather. Examining thick hides is always interesting and enjoyable, even more so when told that they can be used for a jacket. But thick leather abounds, unique and interesting leathers are rare.

There's a reassuring and uplifting quality, perhaps a confidence boost, in having an extra layer of thick skin safeguarding against the elements and potential injuries. My initial encounter with thick leather occurred during my teenage years with a heavy cowhide perfecto. Subsequently, using a purpose-made German motorcycle suit that made me feel safer on the road. The stability it brought also lessened the sense of speed on the motorbike. Not sure if that is safer overall lol

Fast forward much later, I discovered CXL and cardboard stiff like leather. Sure, it made you feel like bullets would bounce of your leather armour, or that you would emerge unscathed out of a traffic accident while the car would be a write off. All good and fun but wearing a straitjacket can get tiring as quite a few members here found out.

Apologies for the lengthy detour, but this jacket prompted contemplation about the hobby in general and our collective experiences.

To somewhat get back on topic, I have had very thick jackets, the thickest being the anthracite moosehide I sourced with Carlos. It is about 2.2mm thick, very soft which results in a garment that embraces you like… I could become very poetic here, but I will leave it to you to fill the comparison in any way you see fit. It is a great feeling.

2.2mm is supposedly between 5 and 6oz that supposedly end game number for some… why do numbers matter here?

Quite a few people believe that a 90% cocoa chocolate bar is better than a 70% one… without looking at the type of bean or its origin. That is the power of marketing, make the meaningless meaningful and the meaningful meaningless in people’s minds.

I seem to be rambling more than usual as I write this…

Anyway, for the numbers obsessed, the leather in this jacket is over 3mm but under 4mm, leaning closer to the latter. It was measured properly when we were looking at the hides, but frankly I forgot the exact number and, in any case, Wildfang has crafted jackets with even thicker hides, surpassing the fabled 6oz goal of a former member with all the associated drama.

The allure of this leather lies in its tanning process, a traditional German cod liver oil tanning. The unique finish, evident in the accompanying pictures, truly reveals itself when handled. What elevates the jacket is not just the leather but also the pattern. Surprisingly comfortable and easy to move in, coupled with immaculate construction and meticulous quality control checking every stitch, this jacket is undeniably something special and unique.

9N0vgad.jpg

hMUFpRN.jpg

This is a size 14 zipper, biggest I have ever used.

VKtCJmu.jpg

LpHcklo.jpg

7sVLo1l.jpg

JxPtGWO.jpg

yw511v8.jpg

Y62P38j.jpg

7seiIXK.jpg

aRCACej.jpg

I8eZDLL.jpg

I really like tthis pattern

SH974Vh.jpg

For those wondering the jacket is 3.92kg / 8.65 lbs.

red devil

Shame you guys can't see the Elk jacket in person. It's a tremendous piece of garment and that No. 13 (was it 13?) RiRi is comical in its size.

Ah damn, should've thought of it!! Would've loved to see you. :( But the trip was really a last minute arrangement and I wasn't even sure I could make it not a three full days before we were to go and Marc and I occasionally talk on WA so I just asked and luckily, he managed to free up some time.

I'm sure this is going to happen again as I know for a fact Red's got an order or two with Wildfang so definitely next time.

Yeah, I will most likely go there again in a few months, @Tom71 ,if you can make it then, it would be great to meet you :D

Mandarin

Practically Family
Believe it or not, this jacket was not ordered because of the thickness of the leather. Examining thick hides is always interesting and enjoyable, even more so when told that they can be used for a jacket. But thick leather abounds, unique and interesting leathers are rare.

There's a reassuring and uplifting quality, perhaps a confidence boost, in having an extra layer of thick skin safeguarding against the elements and potential injuries. My initial encounter with thick leather occurred during my teenage years with a heavy cowhide perfecto. Subsequently, using a purpose-made German motorcycle suit that made me feel safer on the road. The stability it brought also lessened the sense of speed on the motorbike. Not sure if that is safer overall lol

Fast forward much later, I discovered CXL and cardboard stiff like leather. Sure, it made you feel like bullets would bounce of your leather armour, or that you would emerge unscathed out of a traffic accident while the car would be a write off. All good and fun but wearing a straitjacket can get tiring as quite a few members here found out.

Apologies for the lengthy detour, but this jacket prompted contemplation about the hobby in general and our collective experiences.

To somewhat get back on topic, I have had very thick jackets, the thickest being the anthracite moosehide I sourced with Carlos. It is about 2.2mm thick, very soft which results in a garment that embraces you like… I could become very poetic here, but I will leave it to you to fill the comparison in any way you see fit. It is a great feeling.

2.2mm is supposedly between 5 and 6oz that supposedly end game number for some… why do numbers matter here?

Quite a few people believe that a 90% cocoa chocolate bar is better than a 70% one… without looking at the type of bean or its origin. That is the power of marketing, make the meaningless meaningful and the meaningful meaningless in people’s minds.

I seem to be rambling more than usual as I write this…

Anyway, for the numbers obsessed, the leather in this jacket is over 3mm but under 4mm, leaning closer to the latter. It was measured properly when we were looking at the hides, but frankly I forgot the exact number and, in any case, Wildfang has crafted jackets with even thicker hides, surpassing the fabled 6oz goal of a former member with all the associated drama.

The allure of this leather lies in its tanning process, a traditional German cod liver oil tanning. The unique finish, evident in the accompanying pictures, truly reveals itself when handled. What elevates the jacket is not just the leather but also the pattern. Surprisingly comfortable and easy to move in, coupled with immaculate construction and meticulous quality control checking every stitch, this jacket is undeniably something special and unique.

9N0vgad.jpg

hMUFpRN.jpg

This is a size 14 zipper, biggest I have ever used.

VKtCJmu.jpg

LpHcklo.jpg

7sVLo1l.jpg

JxPtGWO.jpg

yw511v8.jpg

Y62P38j.jpg

7seiIXK.jpg

aRCACej.jpg

I8eZDLL.jpg

I really like tthis pattern

SH974Vh.jpg

For those wondering the jacket is 3.92kg / 8.65 lbs.
Amazing!

red devil

If you were to bring up the topic of a biker jacket in conversation, most people would likely envision a Perfecto, wouldn't they? Similarly, the mention of a motorcycle jacket might conjure images of modern riding gear. Just a thought that occurred to me while writing. Here in the Fedora Lounge, classic patterns dominate, and the iconic J23 might be the first jacket that comes to mind as a "biker jacket."

After a few years well spent in this environment, having explored the classics, having gone to the more unique patterns such as Peter’s Tailor or the leathertogs double breasted jacket (Leathertogs never named their jackets, but it would be the Freewheelers Centinela or Lost Worlds Leathertogs B). You might start wondering what else is there in the wide world? Surely, the tradition of motorcycle leatherwear extends beyond our familiar territory.

There are of course many interesting leather jackets that we have not explored fully yet such as 70s Rock jackets. Although this is another avenue worthy of in-depth exploration, it is not exactly motorcycling gear. So, how do you venture beyond familiar waters into something different yet undeniably cool within the biker category?

This jacket presents one answer to that question. It unmistakably embodies the essence of a biker jacket while looking remarkably distinct from what we are accustomed to here. The day I tried on the sample and saw how it looked in the mirror was truly satisfying – so much so that placing the order immediately felt like the natural next step.

There's nothing more gratifying than discovering a whole new realm to explore within such a rich and diverse hobby as ours.

You have seen the fit, here are the details:

E3QVfQo.jpg

HoE0OI1.jpg

This is a size 12 zipper, would have been my biggest zipper to date if not for the other jacket

xZfxLb0.jpg

xZfxLb0.jpg

OrOQpJa.jpg

QZ3momS.jpg

IHxFtyp.jpg

8cCDIfg.jpg

pD27fVF.jpg

mJjlDec.jpg

ApmClax.jpg

XBcHbOR.jpg

This jacket weighs 3.37kg / 7.44lbs , heavier than it seems at first glance

Edit: fixed image links

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Insanely beautiful leather on this one and I absolutely love the design and how it fits you.

If you were to bring up the topic of a biker jacket in conversation, most people would likely envision a Perfecto, wouldn't they? Similarly, the mention of a motorcycle jacket might conjure images of modern riding gear. Just a thought that occurred to me while writing. Here in the Fedora Lounge, classic patterns dominate, and the iconic J23 might be the first jacket that comes to mind as a "biker jacket."

After a few years well spent in this environment, having explored the classics, having gone to the more unique patterns such as Peter’s Tailor or the leathertogs double breasted jacket (Leathertogs never named their jackets, but it would be the Freewheelers Centinela or Lost Worlds Leathertogs B). You might start wondering what else is there in the wide world? Surely, the tradition of motorcycle leatherwear extends beyond our familiar territory.

There are of course many interesting leather jackets that we have not explored fully yet such as 70s Rock jackets. Although this is another avenue worthy of in-depth exploration, it is not exactly motorcycling gear. So, how do you venture beyond familiar waters into something different yet undeniably cool within the biker category?

This jacket presents one answer to that question. It unmistakably embodies the essence of a biker jacket while looking remarkably distinct from what we are accustomed to here. The day I tried on the sample and saw how it looked in the mirror was truly satisfying – so much so that placing the order immediately felt like the natural next step.

There's nothing more gratifying than discovering a whole new realm to explore within such a rich and diverse hobby as ours.

E3QVfQo.jpg

HoE0OI1.jpg

This is a size 12 zipper, would have been my biggest zipper to date if not for the other jacket

xZfxLb0.jpg

xZfxLb0.jpg

OrOQpJa.jpg

QZ3momS.jpg

IHxFtyp.jpg

8cCDIfg.jpg

pD27fVF.jpg

mJjlDec.jpg

ApmClax.jpg

XBcHbOR.jpg

E3QVfQo.jpg

HoE0OI1.jpg

xZfxLb0.jpg

xZfxLb0.jpg

OrOQpJa.jpg

QZ3momS.jpg

IHxFtyp.jpg

8cCDIfg.jpg

pD27fVF.jpg

mJjlDec.jpg

ApmClax.jpg

XBcHbOR.jpg

That is incredible. Have you seen LW’s new Festival jacket?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That shop looks amazing. The jackets look long snd not my style, but I'd still love to visit it just because the shop looks so great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner