Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Obama wear a topper for his Inauguration?

Will Obama wear a Top Hat for his inauguration?

• Odds are better than they were for GW Bush...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe a Homburg?

• Unlikely that any prez elect will ever wear a proper hat again

• Total voters

epic610

One of the Regulars
Come to think of it....

Optimo hats should have made Obama something special for his inauguration. after all, Obama is from Chicago and has been an Illinois Senator.

Feraud

Bartender
epic610 said:
Optimo hats should have made Obama something special for his inauguration. after all, Obama is from Chicago and has been an Illinois Senator.
It could be interesting to read about a hat company putting some old school pressure on politicians in order to boost their business.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think the "dog question" would remain bigger news. It amazes me how frequently that's brought up.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
It could be interesting to read about a hat company putting some old school pressure on politicians in order to boost their business.
Well, I doubt that given the lack of financial oomph the hat making industry has that any pressure could be brought to bear.

However, I would definitely be willing to donate to the cause of having one of our fine hatters make a hat for the president-elect. Something snappy as a gift in hopes of the chance he might actually take a liking to wearing hats.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Boxerken said:
I voted no, i doubt we ever see that again, but i would love to see him wear one. Scotrace thats very interesting that he will take the oath on the same bible as Linclon. I wonder how many have done that?

This is the first such use of this Bible since the 1861 inaugural.

nola89

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
That's crazy... top hats are way out of style.

Agreed. I've never seen him in a dress hat so if he wore one his image would be thrown off. It would be the talk of the town. It would probably boost hat sales through the roof but it ain't happening.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Obama's wearing a lid might boost sales. But it would also reinforce the stereotype held by many Whites that dress hats are a "Black thing."

These Whites - many of them otherwise broad-minded people, but conditioned by fashion - would also type Obama himself as an inner-city dandy à la Steve Harvey, or worse, corrupt ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

So I hope, for his sake and for hats' sake, that he doesn't wear a hat.

Disclaimer: I do not approve of the stereotype, or any stereotypes regarding hats or skin colors. I also voted for him, FWTW.

univibe88

One Too Many
There was a cover of Time a few months back that was likening him to FDR. It had a black and white photo of Obama wearing a fedora/homburg. I'm sure it was digitally created, but he did look sharp.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Mr. Obama's wearing a lid might boost sales. But it would also reinforce the stereotype held by many Whites that dress hats are a "Black thing."

These Whites - many of them otherwise broad-minded people, but conditioned by fashion - would also type Obama himself as an inner-city dandy à la Steve Harvey, or worse, corrupt ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

So I hope, for his sake and for hats' sake, that he doesn't wear a hat.

Disclaimer: I do not approve of the stereotype, or any stereotypes regarding hats or skin colors. I also voted for him, FWTW.

Good point. Sad, but true. [huh]

Viper Man

Banned
Matt Deckard said:
That's crazy... top hats are way out of style.

It's not that crazy, it used to be the tradition. Sorry, but since reading "Hatless Jack" one tends to wonder about these things. I voted #2 by the way. HOPE ;)

French

Familiar Face
love to see it, but not likely

While I think he should wear a topper, I don't think it will happen. During my life (born in 1970) I don't remember any president-elect wearing a hat at inauguration.

I do think Mr. Obama will wear a timeless suit, as he seems aware of his place in history, but I would be very happily surprised if we see him wearing a top hat on inauguration day, or fedoras/homburgs/bowlers/westerns/sombreros during his tenure as President of the United States.

French

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
ortega76 said:
i also believe he will forgo a lid during the ceremonies. I CAN see him wearing a fedora in the cold DC winters or maybe abroad.

When it comes to fashion, Presidents have been followers, rather than leaders for a long time. (President Carter took a lot of criticism for wearing sweaters!) A president must be seen or perceived to be serious, in what he wears. So I doubt he'd be wearing any hat to the inaugural. However, there are probably enough guys wearing fedoras these days, that just maybe, hopefully, we'll see him in a fedora sometime.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I hadn't even thought of the possibility, so I'm a NO vote, but you folks make some valid points on both sides. Now I'll be sending hat vibes his way. He could certainly pull it off! ;)

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
There was a cover of Time a few months back that was likening him to FDR. It had a black and white photo of Obama wearing a fedora/homburg. I'm sure it was digitally created, but he did look sharp.
That was a great cover, the swapped our FDR for Obama, they kept the hat, suit, car and cigarette. Pretty Neat.
On Topic... I doubt he will wear a topper, but who knows maybe he will.

univibe88

One Too Many
I found it!

TimeFDRObama.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot