Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Obama wear a topper for his Inauguration?

Will Obama wear a Top Hat for his inauguration?

• Odds are better than they were for GW Bush...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe a Homburg?

• Unlikely that any prez elect will ever wear a proper hat again

• Total voters

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
True. President Lincoln was a Republican. He was also the Great Emancipator. And he was the first President to sport a beard. It would be great to see Obama sport both a fedora and a beard ;)

just_me

Practically Family
WideBrimm said:
True. President Lincoln was a Republican. He was also the Great Emancipator. And he was the first President to sport a beard. It would be great to see Obama sport both a fedora and a beard ;)
Fedora YES!! Beard I DON'T THINK SO. :D

Also, the Republican party of Lincoln's day was far different than today's Republican party.

Theo J.

New in Town
Will Obama wear a topper on Inauguration Tuesday?

Probably not, sadly---but I'd love it if he did (goofy as it might look with those ears). For THAT matter, I'd love to see African Americans follow comedianne Angela V. Shelton's suggention and declare this Tuesday a 'National Black And Uppity Day'---top hats, swallowtail coats, canes, spats, the whole rig, allllll over this land. About time, too!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
No, but I'm noticing, quite happily, a lot of men (comparatively speaking) wearing hats in the crowd. A very nice sight indeed. :)

-Tofu

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
Mr. Obama's wearing a lid might boost sales. But it would also reinforce the stereotype held by many Whites that dress hats are a "Black thing."

These Whites - many of them otherwise broad-minded people, but conditioned by fashion - would also type Obama himself as an inner-city dandy à la Steve Harvey, or worse, corrupt ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

So I hope, for his sake and for hats' sake, that he doesn't wear a hat.

Disclaimer: I do not approve of the stereotype, or any stereotypes regarding hats or skin colors. I also voted for him, FWTW.

Yes. Obama's clothing, accessories and hairstyle are chosen to portray him as very earnest, serious and soberminded. No visual flash -- no eccentricities -- nothing unusual.

Martin Luther Kind was the same: his clothing and fedoras were usually quite conservative. (Though today, it's considered more conservative for a 'serious' public figure to not wear a fedora.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Martin Luther King was the same: his clothing and fedoras were usually quite conservative.
Though he did wear a gold Rolex. I met MLK when I was a kid and all I recall was his surprisingly diminutive size and the Rolex. And, he addressed me as youngster.

MLK.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Maybe the fear is if President Obama wears anything flashy or overtly stylish, they will just tag him as a elitist or bring up images of some of the hip hop artists of today (equaling scary black men for middle America). Better to play it safe, if kinda boring. Also, Obama is no Willie Brown (who loves his Brioni suits).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran