Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will wool stretch?

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Ok....since there is no such thing as a "stupid question" here I go....

Was curious if wool will stretch or form with wearing?

I know quite well that it will shrink in hot water, but with normal wear, getting wet in rain, etc. what can I expect?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights and info!

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Ok....since there is no such thing as a "stupid question" here I go....

Was curious if wool will stretch or form with wearing?

I know quite well that it will shrink in hot water, but with normal wear, getting wet in rain, etc. what can I expect?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights and info!

What kind of wool? This site provides a good description of durability of higher-quality yarn. For example, "Two-ply yarn is better than single ply because the ply twist offsets the torque inherent in a single yarn." So overall a 2-ply sweater will 'give' less and keep its shape better than single yarn.

How it works in rain depends on how wet it gets. Also, what ply wool is used and whether the wool is lanolin-rich (lanolin being the natural 'weather-proofing' element of wool), or has maybe been treated in some way. My old (8 years) Eastman RAF ecru sweater smelt heavily of sheep (in a good way :eek:) and that was probably because it had a lot of lanolin in it. My even older (25+ years) Guernsey is still good, and just as unwashed as the Eastman :eeek:, and has kept me dry in showers on its own. Underneath another wool layer, both have helped keep me warm in day-long rain. Wool helps the body retain warmth even when wet, so it's always good as a second layer, and even an under-layer, when out in cold rain.

Wearing regularly, a good-fitting wool sweater will form to you. With heavy use a sweater may feel a little bit roomier over time, especially without washing, as heavy use may stretch it out a bit. Again, this depends on how well it's made and what wool its made from. I shouldn't expect a well constructed, tightly knitted wool sweater, for example, made from 2-ply wool to shrink with normal use.

I should probably have washed and reshaped both Guernsey and Eastman by now. But I've not wanted to strip the natural lanolin out. Also quite lazy. Maybe another member could provide practical advice on washing natural wool garments in a way that keeps natural water-resistance, and/or adding lanolin somehow?

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now if we are talking tight wool jacket cuff knits, these in my experience give with time and wear. I once ruined a pair by trying to accelerate the process, I dampened them & stuck a pair of socks inside over-night.......ruined by morning!!!

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
I posted ^ before seeing your new jackets. Hard to tell without a close-up, but they look substantial. My Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, which is dense 24oz wool (I think), has been in almost constant use for about 7 years, and although the sleeves have given a bit and it's moulded to the bend of my arms, it's not shrunk at all - and it's been in all weathers, including day-long rain. Wool overcoats, pretty much the same story. Although I ruined one years back, before I knew what was what: dried a wool coat on a hot radiator, and it contracted with dozens of hard ridges.

Let a wool coat dry as naturally as possible away from direct heat, including radiators. If in doubt about garment care, check with the maker, they should know their fabrics best.

Last edited:

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Much depends on the garment in question - sweater, light weight wool shirt or pants, heavy wool coat. My Filson double cruiser is 20 years old and while the nap is gone from some wear points and the sleeves have shaped to my arms a bit, there is no visible "stretch." I have vintage Pendleton shirts that I wear for heavy work and wash seldom. Again, there is stretch in stress areas like the arms accomodaing to my elbows. Same with sweaters. Those I wear a lot will "bag" a bit at the elbows and the hems/cuffs will stretch. All fixed with a gentle wash and air dried flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy