Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Lennon spec boots

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
" but if the Lennons are equivalent, they are a significant saving." The Lennons are better IMHO Edward, far better!

Here's my pair after a year or so's wear;
c3qkk.jpg

208jkgi.jpg
21bqalh.jpg

30k59bt.jpg

I chose Vibram commando soles as I prefer not to fall over in the UK's often wet and grey winter weather, no leaks and nothing but dependable service....these guys have been making boots since the year dot they are even still making the same boots that were supplied to the lads in the trenches in WW1 and according to the experts they were better than what the British troops were wearing in the Falklands conflict in 82!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I really like those Derby boots w/o holes. A strong alt to the Iron Rangers I was thinking about.

...with the advantage that they can be polished to a shine.

" but if the Lennons are equivalent, they are a significant saving." The Lennons are better IMHO Edward, far better!

Here's my pair after a year or so's wear;
c3qkk.jpg

208jkgi.jpg
21bqalh.jpg

30k59bt.jpg

I chose Vibram commando soles as I prefer not to fall over in the UK's often wet and grey winter weather, no leaks and nothing but dependable service....these guys have been making boots since the year dot they are even still making the same boots that were supplied to the lads in the trenches in WW1 and according to the experts they were better than what the British troops were wearing in the Falklands conflict in 82!

I can imagine they could only have been better than Falklands era DMS squaddie boots! I'm not a big fan of the commando sole shape - I prefer something with a flatter profile - but I'm definitely convinced of the value of vibram in the wet.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
they are the 78 T C if I remember correctly the vibram sole was an option as was the leather .....its a Swedish zug i seem to recall and was much lighter but has aged through wear and polishing and Yes they shine lovely .....i have some before pictures on my desktop failing that if you checkout my previous posts there are some as new pics.

ArcherW

New in Town
The 78N's are a beautiful pair of boots and I've been thinking about buying a pair for a while, but I'm concerned about how well they resist water (I work on a research farm and am faced with mud, rain, etc. on a daily basis). Does anybody know how well these boots perform in wet conditions? I'm most concerned about the leather sole.

Ian

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've worn my pair through the last winter in ankle deep water at times with no leaks, not for really long periods admittedly but keep then polished up and they will be as good as anything else similar out there IMHO.
I wouldn't part with my pair and will buy from Lennon's as long as they continue to make such wonderful products.

simonc

Practically Family
Okay just in my latest pair of WL 178 WW11 boots. They are black CX FQHH and lined in white leather (I stress getting them lined @ £10 per boot, inc the tongue)

8wUD7t3.jpg

Their sole rubber is not up to much so I found a great resole seller on ebay who does medium hard wearing soles, so I sent them up to William Lennon and they were happy to fit them

p6QLsYZ.jpg

Hoinvq0.jpg

See the leather lining here, inc tongue

lXD44v7.jpg

Side
2FKEXSA.jpg

And there we have it

Lrh0D2w.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
They look great. Lennon seem fine with options and their prices are very reasonable. I've just ordered a second pair of modded Derby's.

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks WDW. I look forward to seeing your new pair, the derby's are lovely. Fresh out of the box the brown latigo at the top of this thread were much harder to break in than these new black ones, the horse hide seem much softer.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Wow Simon, those look fantastic! How did you get those great matching half soles and heels?

Do you mind me asking how much they cost with the options you ordered? Are the WWII boots similar to the derby but I without the cap toe?

simonc

Practically Family
Hi Jimmer. Thanks, I'm pretty happy with them. Yeah I think the Derby are the same but without the cap. Here is the link to the ebay rubber sole guy http://bit.ly/18HXBgq they are about 6mm thick, he also does heel tips too which you will need to supply. The one's supplied by WL were about 2MM and the heel tips are gone already on my brown ones after maybe 10 walks. The boots cost me about £175 (leather lined + UK shipping).

winterland1

Practically Family
I've just ordered black Horween chrome excel Derby's, lined and with commando soles. The price is extremely reasonable, so it'll be interesting to see how good they really are at that price.

Can you guys post some links to these boots you have bought?
I don't see any black boots or so called Derby boots you have posted on the Lennon site I am going to.
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/
Thanks

wdw

One Too Many
Can you guys post some links to these boots you have bought?
I don't see any black boots or so called Derby boots you have posted on the Lennon site I am going to.
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/
Thanks

Here's my black Derby post http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...nnon-Derby-Boots-Black&highlight=lennon+derby

Here's the Lennon page http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/78ptc-mens-traditional-leather-derby-boot.html

Lennon will send you many different leather samples, so you've got a much bigger choice than the website says. Also, they seem pretty accommodating to any suggestions you might have, so just ask them for what you'd like.

winterland1

Practically Family
Thanks for the links. I sent them an email seeing what they could do for me. The only thing that might raise the price too high is if they didn't fit and the extra shipping that would entail to USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21