Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilsons Leather Vintage Cycle Jacket

RedWolf

New in Town
Thoughts on this jacket. The jacket is very dark brown with some lighter brown showing through in worn areas. It has been factory distressed and also through wear, it's 4 years old. The leather is nice however the fit is a bit loose for a cafe racer. I might sell this one and replace it with an Aero board racer.

Attachments

• 20220213_105708.jpg
    20220213_105708.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220213_105800_001.jpg
    20220213_105800_001.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220213_105803.jpg
    20220213_105803.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 179

Fifty150

One Too Many
It depends. Are you wearing the jacket for riding? Or trying to collect leather jackets?

You've already had it for 4 years. You've been wearing it. I would say, keep it. If you want to buy an Aero, or whatever, then buy it. You don't have to give up this jacket, to buy another jacket.

Wilson's jackets are not collectable items. There's not a lot of residual value or resale value. Wilson's "motorcycle jackets" are not that good for actually riding. I know, because I have one. An ex-girlfriend bought one for me. As a jacket, it's fine. I can wear it with other layers for warmth. The leather....it's still leather. I will keep wind and light rain off me. I can wear it. Nothing wrong with it when I need to wear a jacket. A Wilson's jacket is great for someone who does not need it for actually riding a motorcycle, and if the jacket fits your own sense of fashion and style. It looks nicer than a plastic windbreaker.

RedWolf

New in Town
It depends. Are you wearing the jacket for riding? Or trying to collect leather jackets?

You've already had it for 4 years. You've been wearing it. I would say, keep it. If you want to buy an Aero, or whatever, then buy it. You don't have to give up this jacket, to buy another jacket.

Wilson's jackets are not collectable items. There's not a lot of residual value or resale value. Wilson's "motorcycle jackets" are not that good for actually riding. I know, because I have one. An ex-girlfriend bought one for me. As a jacket, it's fine. I can wear it with other layers for warmth. The leather....it's still leather. I will keep wind and light rain off me. I can wear it. Nothing wrong with it when I need to wear a jacket. A Wilson's jacket is great for someone who does not need it for actually riding a motorcycle, and if the jacket fits your own sense of fashion and style. It looks nicer than a plastic windbreaker.

I rarely wear this one anymore due to the fit. It feels too big. I'm kinda...meh about the striping. It's not cut to ride a motorcycle which I do. Without shoulder/ arm gussets it would be pretty uncomfortable reaching for the bars. It's more og a fashion jacket.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Wilson's "Vintage" is just a label. An artificial brand. Made up for marketing. It doesn't make it special in any way. Sort of like "Classic" Coke. It's a Coke.

The Wilson's jacket I own has a label which says Wilson's Vintage. Sort of a cafe racer style. It has a snapover band collar, chest level pockets, handwarmer pockets, inside pockets, and a quilted lining. All of which I like. The leather is not thick or stiff like most motorcycle jackets. It's rather supple, and soft, exactly like you would expect from a department store jacket. I wore mine today. It was windy, foggy, and 50 degrees. I felt comfortable and warm, driving a minivan.

But the fit is not for me. Similar to a lot of fashion brands, the fit model is someone who is 6'01", and maybe 140 lbs. Tall and slender. The body of the jacket is long, tight across the back and shoulder, with long sleeves. My body is different. Like most department store suits off the rack, it doesn't fit well. But in today's street wear, exact fit is not that important. I wear it over a hoodie. Everything flows with the slightly baggy jeans. It's just street wear. Street clothes. Just about everything from a department store or the mall fits the same way on me.

I will admit having bought a Wilson's jacket in high school, receiving a Wilson's jacket as a gift about a decade ago, and also owning a pair of Wilson's Leather chaps. Years ago, my jacket was listed as $119. There was a 40% off coupon code. So the actual price, with free shipping, was less than $100. Today, Wilson's has something very similar, in the same price range. If it's your style, Wilson's jackets can be quite the fashion bargain. Nothing is ever really "full price", and there's always a coupon of some sort for 30%, 35%, or 40% off.

In all fairness, Wilson's leather is not the worse. I understand how some people want a 10 on a scale of 10. Wilson's is a solid 6. Solidly below the really good jackets of 9 and 10. Right below good jackets that might rank 7 or 8. But not pure junk. If you are not riding a motorcycle, a Wilson's jacket is fine. If you are not collecting the cream of the crop, Wilson's is fine. Nothing wrong with Wilson's for the guy who just wants a leather jacket to wear.

From what I recall, Wilson's jackets are made by GIII Apparel. It's perfect if you're into youth street wear, trendy on a budget, and looking cool in the food court with an Orange Julius. I could see how a young kid could buy a $109 jacket, minus another 30% with a coupon.

1644905189784.png

1644903176911.png

ANDREW MARC

https://www.giii.com/portfolio/bass-outdoor/

BASS OUTDOOR

CALVIN KLEIN​

COLE HAAN​

DKNY​

DOCKERS​

G.H. BASS ORIGINALS​

GIII SPORTS​

KARL LAGERFELD PARIS​