Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winchester Hat Corporation -- Making the Felt

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Tied with Brad's self-felted edge thread as the best thread on the Lounge.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
Great job Jimmy.
This thread should be locked and made a sticky, and all post deleted but the ones Jimmy made.
That way it would be a 'tour' of the felting process!
Bottom line is, even the guys that only wear vintage.... this is the same way your hat was made!!!!
And I have to say it was something else to be able to experience this in person!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super Job Jimmy.....

Wow, very impressive. You took a lot of time putting this together, Hats Off To You!
I know you had help with the pictures, but you did an Awesome job putting it all together. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Like warbird said, I feel like I was there with you all, looks like you had a blast. I'm very Green with envy. :D

portolan

A-List Customer
Great Job Jimmy....Great sequencing of the photos....

The only part you missed was the big smile on my face when I picked out one of those felts for my next hat!!! Thanks for the good work.

majormoore

Vendor
Phil, that hat body you picked out came today via UPS!!!!!!!! will get to work on it this weekend.

Major Moore

portolan said:
The only part you missed was the big smile on my face when I picked out one of those felts for my next hat!!! Thanks for the good work.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wow!

What a fascinating travelogue/photo-documentary. Thanks for the thorough, painstaking effort.

Seeing all those bales of fur kind of took my breath away, then led me to consider what impact a resurgence of hat-wearing fashion would have on remaining wildlands/wetlands and the denizens therein. If every third or fourth adult male in the U.S., for instance, were to feel that only a fine fur felt hat would be acceptable for his noggin, what would be required to sustain an adequate supply of animals? Would there be a new breed of factory farm on the outskirts of most towns? A disturbing thought.

On a lighter note, how did that place smell? :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the links, Kabuto. Interesting reading, and i even learned a new word, "coppice." Australia has a long history of introducing one species to curb another, then having the invitation run amok. Come to think of it, it's not just Australia.

We need some wildlife biologists to weigh in with some perspectives on ecosystem tampering.

majormoore

Vendor
Phil was not able to buy a hat body from the plant, they only sale to hatters, I allowed him to go in the felt room and pick out his body and color of choice, and then Winchester billed me.

Hope this hlps.

Major Moore
bolthead said:
Phil, if you don't mind me asking.....what do they want for their bodies? :rolleyes:

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
How do we petition for this to be a sticky. It is wonderful. I suggest a work stoppage..................I need a few days off anyway.[huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
On a lighter note, how did that place smell? :)

Not too bad. A little farm-ish since the animal hair is being steamed and wetted, but nothing like the 'stank' of a foundry or tannery. I wouldn't recommend it for people with sensitive allergies though, as it was a little on the fuzzy side every where you went/breathed.
:)

duggap

Banned
HarpPlayerGene said:
Oh, and by the way, Jimmy - you and the boys are amazing. Great photos and super job comprehending and remembering and conveying all of those processes. You guys are sharp!!
I sincerely second that.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points