Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winchester Hat Corporation -- Making the Felt

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I just want to offer my sincere thanks for all of the positive feedback concerning this thread. The tour of the Winchester plant was truly a memorable experience, and I hope that this thread helps to convey a sense of "being there."

I need to update certain information that I have posted about the process, and I'll try to incorporate more photographs supplied by some of the other folks who attended. Hopefully, I can accomplish all that in the coming week.

Cheers,
JtL

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
We look forward to additional details and photos as they become available. Just a wonderful presentation! Looks like fun too -

sendin

New in Town
Thanks for this great post. Learning a lot and you guys got me squared away on my keeper, the Stetson Stratoliner from my Gandpa. Thanks a bunch. Denny from Sebastopol, CA.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Thank you for such an informative posting. Without people like you (and the internet) I would have to wait years before such information hit the Discovery Channel.
RHY

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
For those of you that were there, I have a question.

In the old days, hare fur had three principal grades: Single Ring, Double Ring, and Triple Ring. Did they use these terms while you were there? Just curious if these terms still apply.

If nobody know, it's no big deal, I'll ask Greg next week.

Thanks,

Brad

Griff

New in Town
This was really informative and neat to see. Another reason why I enjoy the site. Thanks for helping to educate us newbies to the world of the fedora.

"cuz every woman's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man" ZZ TOP

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Jimmy....you did good!!!!

Dear Jimmy,

Thanks for the photo tour of Winchester. Pretty amazing! I felt like I was right there with you guys. As someone else commented, this was better than the Discovery channel! Although I was somewhat familiar with the felting process, I learned so much through your pictures and commentary. And those machines--amazing!!

Thanks for sharing these, Jimmy!

Mark

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
First off, let me just express my thanks to those new to this thread who have found it informative. I hope that this thread is the next best thing to being there -- but, if you ever have the chance, the Winchester plant is well worth experiencing in person.

Secondly, I have edited the above posts to make a minor correction to the description of the felt-making process. To the extent that different furs are mixed together to form a particular blend -- that process occurs during the very first step (and not later on, as I had previously posted).

Perhaps, after my next visit to Winchester in a couple of weeks, more information will be added here. I'm really looking forward to it! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21