Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter coat?????

31 Model A

A-List Customer
With Winter not so far off, I'm thinking of adding to closet space a new wool winter coat. I have found in TFL a thread were someone had posted photos of a nice belted coat that I was going to ask if anyone knew who made them today but I can't find that thread again, gone through most all threads so I thought I'd just ask if someone can guide me to a place today that makes nice winter wool coats that represent the 30s? I have done many searches and seen many Mackinaws but I like a nice herringbone wool, hip length, back belted, double breasted, something in the way of shooting jackets. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ed

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Thanks for your reply....I did look at what Filson offers. Most of my shirts and trousers are either Orvis or Filson and I looked at both the Cruiser and Double Cruiser but how close are these to the 1930s? I'd still like to find a plaid but more of a subdued instead bright red.

Filson makes incredible wool jackets. I am partial to their Mackinaw Cruiser. If you live near Chicago, you might want to consider their Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Below is a list of their jackets.

http://www.filson.com/mens/coats-ja...0516&fq=-referenceid:10528&start=0&rows=99999

Will015

Familiar Face
If you image search for Freewheeler's "Hemingway Coat" or their "British Columbia Coat", you'll see what you are truly seeking, young grasshopper.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
With Winter not so far off, I'm thinking of adding to closet space a new wool winter coat. I have found in TFL a thread were someone had posted photos of a nice belted coat that I was going to ask if anyone knew who made them today but I can't find that thread again, gone through most all threads so I thought I'd just ask if someone can guide me to a place today that makes nice winter wool coats that represent the 30s? I have done many searches and seen many Mackinaws but I like a nice herringbone wool, hip length, back belted, double breasted, something in the way of shooting jackets. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ed

Heh, if you're a size 42 I have the most beautiful Harris Tweed 0vercoat known to mankind. If you're serious, PM me. This thing is seriously gorgeous. And slightly too small for me!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here is a coat I was thinking about. How well would this one fit the 30s styles?

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...efccid=6WPVAFRQGIRY4WCFM73S46YXWU&searchidx=0

The material looks much thinner than the originals of the 1930 from the way it drapes, which means it will not be as warm, but overall the cut is an updated version of 1930s-1950s designs. Originals in good condition can be picked up for less and will be of better quality.

Here are some similar coats from the 1940s to compare the design against.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Thanks Dinerman. I have looked at Ebay off and on, found some that were perfect but not heavy enough or small sizes. I shall keep looking, I have some time yet. I'm somewhat reluctant buying vintage because I'm not knowledgeable enough as I am in other areas. I have done research to help but it's not like I've made a life buying vintage civi clothing. Military I can see right off what and when the item is.

Nyah

One of the Regulars

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's a pretty standard traditional hunting coat, again, something that the originals (provided you don't absolutely need the Filson name on it) are a dime a dozen and better made.

Will015

Familiar Face
I have a Filson single mac and it's damn nice. The problem I've found with a lot of the other makers and ebay found old hunting coats is the lack of/weird positioning of hand warmer pockets. The pockets on the Filson are great for actually putting your hands in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner