Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter vintage style vs. summer vintage style?

texasgirl

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
I'm another that has the shoe issue. I just cannot wear a standard pair of shoes when it's as cold and mucky as it is. I generally pair a modern plain boot with my vintage dresses. I'm not too happy with the look sometimes - but it works. I'm not exactly a purist. I think I will look for a riding boot type this year (I have giant calves which makes the problem worse). I too have a billion pairs of heavy tights and love the cable type when I can find them. Marshalls and TJMax sometimes have quality ones at a steal.

I was going to ask the same question about the flannel slips. I think I will be making one up promptly.

I have bigger calves too and I found a pair a couple years ago that were Naturalizer's called Plus Boots. They fit perfect. I have noticed some of the newer Plus ones aren't leather though, so be sure to check that. I tried some Aerosoles ones for bigger calves at DSW the other day, and they didn't seem any bigger than the regular ones. Also, on the 6pm site you can search wide calf boots and they had quite a few. Oh, and endless has it as a category, but some of theirs didn't seem big based on the measurements. I'm on the hunt for some black suede ones. We don't get much snow down here so that's not a concern.

The Shirt

Practically Family
In my next life I am going to design stylish boots for the generously calfed girls. I'll make millions I think. There are a lot more options these days than there was a few years ago. The site below has a few more reasonably priced options - but often they are not leather. I'm thinking this should probably be it's own thread before I hijack!I have a pair of Naturalizers that have held up well too.

http://www.silhouettes.com/Dept/Shoes/D-10000&cm_sp=hp-_-nav11.1-_-Shoes

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Another option is to take your boots to a cobbler. I had mine add an elastic wedge to make it fit my large calves.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I thought for sure i was the only girl in the world with the generous calf issue! If there were more of us, wouldn't you think that it would be EASIER to find a wider calf boot? I was recently in New York and all the girls were wearing really nice boots. When i would go shopping to find said boots, none would zip up my legs. i actually had one girl tell me the boots they had were all wide as they fit her legs...well, i looked at her calved and figured they looked like mine...i couldn't even get my foot in the boot...i thought she must be crazy...well, i found some boots, just short ones. not an ankle boot, but like a motorcycle boot i guess...

i actually tried on one boot that was so tight at the top, i actually had calf cellulite! lol :rage:

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well, other than for those of you on the North Pole, I think fall/winter vintage is the best! Cardigans! Wool pencil skirts! Stockings! Garter belts! Boots! Scarves! Trousers! Body-conscious wool dresses! What's not to love?

Agreed! I have much more vintage inspired clothing for fall/winter (but let's face it, I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles County. It truly doesn't get below the 50's here and if it does, it dips to the high 40's in the middle of the night/very early morning where I won't be up for hours).

But I love my high-wasted trousers, my heavier fabric pencil skirts, my wool and heavier fabric circle skirts, my textured stocking/tights, my tweed and fabric heels, all my sweater and heavier cloth dresses, my lovely sweaters and cardigans...*sigh* I could go on!

I actually noticed that I wear more vintage inspired clothing/looks in fall/winter than I do in spring or summer.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scarves!

One of my favorite things is a scarf in the neck of a vintage jacket. In the summer it's too hot for jackets, let alone scarves!

I welcome fall. I don't really mind winter except that our house thinks it in the Antipodes, it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The Shirt

Practically Family
To those who hate the long sleeves - I have found that a 3/4 sleeve or even a cuff just above the elbow doesn't look as dowdy on my figure. Kamikat I know that you sew a ton, have you tried some alternate lengths on some of the things you made for the sleeves?

I second the idea about the jackets with a dress underneath. It seems to me that there are quite a few jackets on the bay that no longer have the matching bottoms. Besides the fact that I can usually find a jacket that will fit but never a bottom with hips like mine.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
To those who hate the long sleeves - I have found that a 3/4 sleeve or even a cuff just above the elbow doesn't look as dowdy on my figure. Kamikat I know that you sew a ton, have you tried some alternate lengths on some of the things you made for the sleeves?

I second the idea about the jackets with a dress underneath.
I haven't tried adjusting the sleeve length simply because you lose warmth if you shorten the sleeve. However, I have been thinking about all this and I think I've come up with a solution. I hope it looks good with a longer sleeve.
2448.JPG

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I find it way easier to put together a vintage look in the summer. Its unfortunate because I love winter, and spend most of the year in it anyway.

I love pussy-bow blouses, like the kind June Cleaver usually wears. Wool skirts and stockings are also a staple. My other go-to outfit, though not very vintage, is a long sweater (long enough to cover the bum), leggings, and boots.

I hate how boots are often too small for many girls legs :( I love wearing them, and I think they would make just about anyone look good.

mentha

Familiar Face
I'm having trouble finding my vintage style, period. I love skirts and dresses, but I hate cold and rain. I find it quite difficult to find the right styles in shops, hardly find time to sew and even then it's usually summery stuff. When it comes to winter... no idea what to do. I have 1 little black cardigan, my first ever and while it's really comfy, I feel quite frumpy and conservative wearing it, which is something I'm really not... And so I keep searching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24