Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter vintage style vs. summer vintage style?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Do you maintain your vintage style during the winter? I would love to see some pictures of your winter looks. I have found that while I LOVE bare shouldered sundresses and high heeled sandals, I'm not a fan of winter vintage looks. I've made several winter dresses from vintage patterns and they don't look as nice (even if made from well-loved short sleeved patterns). For some reason, the winter versions look more matronly on me. Please help show me some good winter looks that don't all involve pencil skirts and twin sets!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I live in Florida but, all year round i wear short sleeves because I hate long sleeves on dresses. When I travel up north, I always wear sweaters on top of my "florida winter dresses". And top it off with a coat and scarf. Does that help? I will see if I have pictures of this style for you.

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here we go:
Eisenhowersfarm2008006.jpg

I collect vintage sweaters so I try to wear them as often as possible when it gets below 70 degrees down here.

Samantha

texasgirl

One Too Many
This is the only winter vintage dress I have, but I love it. It's a wool jersey, not very thick, but really warm and comfy with stretch. Takes awhile to get on though, those are working buttons all the way down the front! But other than this, it's all dresses and cardigans pretty much all winter, etc. But you might look for this type of material to make something with.

Gibsland_2009_Newt_3_047.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
retrogirl1941 said:
When I travel up north, I always wear sweaters on top of my "florida winter dresses". And top it off with a coat and scarf. Does that help? I will see if I have pictures of this style for you.

Samantha
Not really. I can only wear my light summer cotton dresses with a sweater until about mid-November. After that, it's just too cold and windy. During mid-winter, say end of January, my typical daily outfit is long johns under jeans, long john top, long sleeve t-shirt, cardigan and sometimes a fleece jacket or shawl. I'm allergic to wool, so that's not an option either.

Inky

One Too Many
even though i'm in central california, it's the coast and in the mid 50's to mid 60's here in our wet winters - i know it doesn't compare to Maryland, I grew up back east ;)

But I do what Samantha does in Florida - regular dresses and tops w/skirts, worn with cardigans. I always have a sweater on hand, even through summer. I do find i wear trousers much more in the winter and have tried to add more over the last couple of years.

I have two vintage wool coats (a swing and a more streamlined version) and a vintage evening coat, was well as two car coats (one vintage and one dickies for casual) and now my faux-49'er for this year.

We have to layer here because you just never know how the weather will unfold and if you go over one town it might be sunny and warmer than at the house.

I think that this method could work for you too.

analiebe

A-List Customer
i LOVE winter vintage clothing as much as summer but for very different reasons... and lucky i do as melbourne winters get COLD and DAMP...
i have several gorgeous coats; some simply beautiful winter dresses; gorgeous skirt (and not all pencil) & trouser suits - admittedly most of these are wool so i'm not sure how i'd be if i was allergic to it.... i also have plenty of warm and lovely knits... and as i love gloves and hats and scarves and thick woven stockings winter is a vintage wonderland for me... as soon as i get the chance i'll try to take some photos...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I love winter classic and vintage clothes - the colors, the textured fabrics. My wardrobe has so many fun bits for layering that have to be put away from May till September, and it's always exciting to pull them out again - scarves, cardigans, shrugs, arm warmers, gloves, hats, thick, cozy stockings and stay ups.
While most buildings are kept uncomfortably warm all winter, my old drafty house (and my penchant for setting the furnace at 60 degrees or lower) gives me ample opportunity to layer up.
When I get some photos, I'll be sure to share.

zendy

A-List Customer
kimikat, I've been thinking the same thing. Here in Idaho, it get's deadly cold and snow up to the calf at least, if not the knee. I've collected some lovely winter dresses, but after fall, it's all overalls, long johns and stompy boots. I know that the ladies here in the past wore dresses, but did they wear what I do on and change inside for work or school? Seems like a hassle.

SayCici

Practically Family
I hate summer, so I'm excited for the upcoming weather. I dressed differently last year around this time so no pictures. I don't like long sleeves, but I have some nice cardigans and two coats for layering. Mostly I'll just do what I've always done, pair a dress with tights or thicker thigh high socks. I also have a few 50s wool skirts or knit suits, and I'm going to make a pair or so of trousers.

product_variety_4303.jpg

My must have, from sockdreams.

Virginia winters can get nasty, but not as bad as those of you who are more Northern or Midwestern, so it's no problem to keep up my normal wardrobe.

SayCici

Practically Family
Just to add: Throughout middle school I never brought a jacket or coat to school, meaning I was always without one on my walk to the bus stop even in winter. I don't really mind being cold which is why I don't make huge efforts to stay warm, except for at night. I'm more sensitive to being hot, I like a little chilliness.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
i wish i could have a winter vintage style, but when it's -35 WITHOUT a windchill...you need the parka, the boots, the touque the scarf the mitts...and a plugged in car! Brr...i'm not looking forward to trying to bundle up...

I live where summer HOT is about 28 degrees celcius...i still bring a sweater with me everywhere because it gets cool at night.

I want to invest in a really awesome wool peacoat this winter, i have the standard "ski jacket" but it doesn't really mesh with a 50's style dress...hopefully this winter won't last forever like the last one.

karlie

New in Town
Winter where I live is awful. I'm talking -20 to -40 celsius for 4-5 months! Winnipeg got the nick name of winterpeg for a good reason!
This will be my first winter that I'll really try to do vintage, but I don't think it will work so well for me!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
karlie said:
Winter where I live is awful. I'm talking -20 to -40 celsius for 4-5 months! Winnipeg got the nick name of winterpeg for a good reason!
This will be my first winter that I'll really try to do vintage, but I don't think it will work so well for me!

Yep...Winter-peg is a cold one too! Stupid Canadian Winters...ruin my wardrobe options...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
You Canadians, watch "The Saddest Music in the World" to see Guy Madden's take on depression era Winnepeg wardrobes. I wouldn't mind dressing like Narcissa on a daily basis. ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, other than for those of you on the North Pole, I think fall/winter vintage is the best! Cardigans! Wool pencil skirts! Stockings! Garter belts! Boots! Scarves! Trousers! Body-conscious wool dresses! What's not to love?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well, other than for those of you on the North Pole, I think fall/winter vintage is the best! Cardigans! Wool pencil skirts! Stockings! Garter belts! Boots! Scarves! Trousers! Body-conscious wool dresses! What's not to love?

-45 and 18 foot snow drifts. ;)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

Yep. All that fun, fun stuff that's just too hot and bulky the rest of the year. :)

Of course, I very much appreciate living where snow is a two or three times a season affair, and as for ice storms - well a lady still likes to look stylish even when the power's out.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
The wool! I'm highly allergic to wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21