Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese leather jackets

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
The reviews for the goatskin on taoboa did not have photos.
The cowhide jacket your looking at from the taobao description

[Leather] : Matte tea core imported from the United States thickness 1.1 [another shop says 1.2mm]

[Color] : Tea core ancient coffee

[Technology] : After the garments are finished, they are washed with heavy water and then manually rubbed in a high-temperature drum to make them look old.

[Zipper] : UNIVERSAL Bronze No. 5 imported from Japan (double open tail)

[Breast pocket zipper] : YKK bronze No. 5 ring chain

[Four-button buckle] : UNIVERSAL bronze imported from Japan expensive

Some toabao customer review pics the cowhide, the pics can be deceptive as they are normally taken on phones so a lot of colour variation and most people seem to have sizes that are too big. I don't think it looks that good though.
O1CN01Ikj6PW1EoKSw1oitr_!!0-rate.jpeg

O1CN01aUFJPn1k2IfOI6LHx_!!0-rate.jpeg
O1CN01I0aaX51EoKSwOz0Jv_!!0-rate.jpeg
O1CN01iGMMuY1yqal4fFFs1_!!0-rate.jpeg

O1CN01pUWIG01p57BY369uG_!!0-tbbala.jpeg
O1CN015NwzC31G9gYPu9yyp_!!0-rate.jpeg
O1CN018ywgR01EoKStxSLAm_!!0-rate.jpeg

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
I'm so damned pleased with the jacket I purchased above, that I find my fingers itching to grab one of these two next :D:

Looks to be very decent Italian goat, and a classic vintage pattern:

View attachment 545520

View attachment 545521

View attachment 545522

View attachment 545523

Then, there's this one in a heavier, tea core cowhide:

View attachment 545524

View attachment 545525

View attachment 545526

View attachment 545527

I'm kind of leaning towards the Italian goat TBH, but the cowhide is also pulling me in it's direction.... Decisions, decisions.... Hmmmmmm... :eek:

Feel free to weigh-in on which your choice would be...... ;)

I would go with the goat version, looks like cidu/other guys copying Cidu. Curphy should be avoided.

I brought a jacket from them, and they claim Italian red tea core horsehide, when I got it, it was definitely local Chinese tannery's pony hide. That really put me off, their advertising on taobao is pretty ridiculous as well, like cost them 5000 rmb and they are selling at loss for 500rmb, i got baited by them before and never again.

Cidu is also hit and missed, I had a jacket from them with advertise measurement of 18.75inch shoulder and when I got it was 18inches, also pretty sloppy stitching work everywhere.

But deals can definitely can be had, out of the 3 jackets I got off Taobao, one them was almost perfect, like advertised, ie the hide they claim from, actually came from there, instead of a generic "Italian hide", it will say specific tannery. Also, Taobao reviews are iffy, seems like Chinese customers are less picky, I rarely read negative reviews from any of the lower range jacket makers, either that or narrative are controlled by the sellers.

Technonut

Practically Family
Little cooler this morning, but still breaking out in a sweat, and had to cut the pics short. Still gives an idea of what this Chinese 30's aviator looks like worn (jacket is stiff, and needs some break-in to relax) Personally, I REALLY like it! :) :

DSCF1064.JPG

DSCF1067.JPG

EDIT: I continue to be stunned with this jacket.... Almost feels like I hit a modest lottery or something :cool: ! The fit is exceptionally good IMO. Shoulders, chest, sleeves.... Great! Length, about dead-on for my height in a 1930's half-belt... :) Very decent pattern / construction, and nice Italian cowhide for only $160.00 USD.... INCREDIBLE!! ;)

AVHB2.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Speaking of Chinese leather jackets... I picked this one up from AliExpress a number of years ago, and have been very pleased with it overall (buttons are now a bit loose and need tightened). I especially like the grain developed over time. IIRC, I paid around $140.00 USD for this one then. The pics while worn are older, and the one showing the grain is current:

DSCF0459 (3).jpg

DSCF0463 (3).jpg

ChiHer.jpg

Edward

Bartender
First post here in quite awhile.... :) I've had my eye on this repro of the Real McCoy's 1930's Harley Davidson / Aviator jacket at AliExpress for a long time now, and finally decided to take a punt on it... (a $20.00 off coupon helped the decision along) ;)

For the price paid, I am happily shocked with the quality and construction of this jacket. I have jackets from Goodwear, Aero, etc. in my closet, and this Chinese knock-off is pretty sweet IMO.

The sizing chart at the AliExpress seller's store was bang-on. It fits as well as bespoke jackets I've had made, but it's MUCH too hot for fit pics ATM... ;) While not advertised in the listing, I was also shocked to find that the jacket is made from ITALIAN COWHIDE (I would guess between 1.2-1.3mm thickness)!! Incredible for around $160.00 USD! o_O

EDIT: The Italian cowhide is of obviously good quality, and has the lovely smell of walking into a nice leather goods shop. All of consistent thickness, with no thinner areas in the jacket's construction. Another feature not advertised is that the 'D' pocket incorporates a heavy snap, which opens into a left side hand-warmer. I'm not certain if this feature is present on the RM version, but I actually like it a lot. It's well-done, and not noticeable when snapped. I also quite like the scalloped flap on the small utility pocket, as well as the 'D' pocket pattern it's self..... :)

The repro Waldes zipper seems sturdy, but only time will tell on that. Nice touch nonetheless IMO. The slash / inside pocket linings are also a bit thin for my liking, and will see how they hold up. The buttoned cuffs are lined with a soft corduroy, which is nice. Here's a few pics until it cools down enough for some nice fit pics in the sunlight:

View attachment 545458

View attachment 545096

View attachment 545098
View attachment 545099

Here's one of the 1930's originals the jacket is based upon:

View attachment 545100

And here's the RM version:

View attachment 545103

View attachment 545102

EDIT: My phone pics are pretty crappy due to the terrible lighting conditions in my home at times.... These pics from the AliExpress listing however, are accurate to the jacket I received:

View attachment 545455

View attachment 545456

View attachment 545457

Good score. There's nice stuff made out there for sure. I've seen "fakes" of all sorts that are most probably made in the same factory as some of "the real thing" - it's not unknown for contractors in China to double up on quantities and the surplus once the official order is fulfilled goes out the side door.

The gamble is buying online where it's common to use stock photos, sometimes the photos of a garment they plan to copy; there's always the chance you'll be the first person to order, and what arrives may or may not resemble what was in the photos. I still dream of discovering a mall in Beijing where I can go and find all this stuff on sale so I can try in person and see what fits... I'm sure it exists if you're in the right place, but it might be more Shanghai than Beijing...

Technonut

Practically Family
Finally have two jackets narrowed down now..... :) Just a matter of waiting for a hopefully decent Black Friday sale to pull the trigger on one of them. ;)

Personally, after being a certified "jacketholic" for oh, at least 40 years or so now, I'm quite happy to have these inexpensive but still very decent quality repro vintage jackets available.

I've been having the same great experience taming and breaking-in the Chinese 30's aviator half-belt posted about previously, as any of the other top-shelf jackets I own. Speaking of that jacket.... On top of the Italian cowhide and repro riveted Waldes zip / Talon marked pull on the D-pocket for only $160.00 USD, I did a hot-needle test on the buttons since they looked like the real deal to me....... I'll be damned!! Genuine Horn o_O!

I've had jackets made with 5-Star in Pakistan over the past few years, and while nice jackets (especially for their bespoke option) overall, the hides / patterns / construction of the two Chinese leather jackets I now own are much better IMO, and even less expensive.

I've been fortunate to have gotten accurate measurements from the Ali-Express sellers sizing charts so far, and expect to in the future, since it's Ali-Express's policy to withhold payment from their sellers until the the buyer checks-off as satisfied after the item arrives. It's certainly a great incentive for accurate info.. ;) I've personally needed to dispute another item purchased in the past (not a jacket), and when the seller declined a partial refund, AliExpress stepped-in, withheld $50.00 from their sale, and refunded me... :) Kinda like a Chinese e-Bay I guess.....

Anyway, for those interested, here's the two jackets I'm going to choose from:

S07cbd977d26e403aa2fda3fa72266113e.jpg

S9a4164890ff242778e2c0d1af28b1d280.jpg

S80f7a247a43d49dea495359077c915a9c.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 09-07-34 159.99US $ 20_ OFF Genuine Leather Jacket Pilot Genuine Leat...png

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 09-03-50 159.99US $ 20_ OFF Genuine Leather Jacket Pilot Genuine Leat...png

S0dd505b94fc049be8a6ed10f3c6ed119Y.jpg

EDIT: In mentioning my trust of the seller sizing charts at AE, I will add that I purchased a pair of repro vintage "monkey boots" in Italian cowhide recently. Goodyear welted, steel shank, all copper hardware, and handmade in a dedicated Chinese boot factory for under $100.00 USD a pair.

Using the seller's sizing chart, I came up with the exact equivalent of my usual US size 11.5, and double-checked before placing the order. Sure enough, the boots arrived and fit great. I've worn them to a couple of extended outings so far, and they're breaking-in nicely.... :)

monkey boots6.jpg

monkey boots5.jpg

Last edited:

Bluechel

Practically Family
Finally have two jackets narrowed down now..... :) Just a matter of waiting for a hopefully decent Black Friday sale to pull the trigger on one of them. ;)

Personally, after being a certified "jacketholic" for oh, at least 40 years or so now, I'm quite happy to have these inexpensive but still very decent quality repro vintage jackets available.

I've been having the same great experience taming and breaking-in the Chinese 30's aviator half-belt posted about previously, as any of the other top-shelf jackets I own. Speaking of that jacket.... On top of the Italian cowhide and repro riveted Waldes zip / Talon marked pull on the D-pocket for only $160.00 USD, I did a hot-needle test on the buttons since they looked like the real deal to me....... I'll be damned!! Genuine Horn o_O!

I've had jackets made with 5-Star in Pakistan over the past few years, and while nice jackets (especially for their bespoke option) overall, the hides / patterns / construction of the two Chinese leather jackets I now own are much better IMO, and even less expensive.

I've been fortunate to have gotten accurate measurements from the Ali-Express sellers sizing charts so far, and expect to in the future, since it's Ali-Express's policy to withhold payment from their sellers until the the buyer checks-off as satisfied after the item arrives. It's certainly a great incentive for accurate info.. ;) I've personally needed to dispute another item purchased in the past (not a jacket), and when the seller declined a partial refund, AliExpress stepped-in, withheld $50.00 from their sale, and refunded me... :) Kinda like a Chinese e-Bay I guess.....

[/URL]

View attachment 553675

View attachment 553676

View attachment 553677

[/URL]

View attachment 553688

View attachment 553687

View attachment 553682

EDIT: In mentioning my trust of the seller sizing charts at AE, I will add that I purchased a pair of repro vintage "monkey boots" in Italian cowhide recently. Goodyear welted, steel shank, all copper hardware, and handmade in a dedicated Chinese boot factory for under $100.00 USD a pair.

Using the seller's sizing chart, I came up with the exact equivalent of my usual US size 11.5, and double-checked before placing the order. Sure enough, the boots arrived and fit great. I've worn them to a couple of extended outings so far, and they're breaking-in nicely.... :)

View attachment 553737

View attachment 553736
I followed the link to the first one (in the pic with the gold frame). How did you get the additional pictures? Have you ever bought from this exact vendor?

Technonut

Practically Family
I followed the link to the first one (in the pic with the gold frame). How did you get the additional pictures? Have you ever bought from this exact vendor?

Right when you scroll-down from the description at the top, hit the "View More" tab for more info and pics....

Actually, the Heron / BK Aeronaut knock-off I pictured above came from that particular vendor. It was a number of years ago, but as previously posted, AE's policy of not releasing funds to the seller until the buyer checks off as satisfied AFTER the goods arrive is a pretty good incentive for the sellers to provide accurate pics / info IMO... ;)

Bluechel

Practically Family
Well, I guess you motivated
Right when you scroll-down from the description at the top, hit the "View More" tab for more info and pics....

Actually, the Heron / BK Aeronaut knock-off I pictured above came from that particular vendor. It was a number of years ago, but as previously posted, AE's policy of not releasing funds to the seller until the buyer checks off as satisfied AFTER the goods arrive is a pretty good incentive for the sellers t

me and made me so darn curious that I jumped in and ordered one! Holy crap this could be such a flyer! I haven’t ordered something from China like this for about four years after getting a “leather jacket” that smelled so badly of chemicals I literally threw it out in the trash. That 30’s aviator kind of blew my mind, and I just saw a Simon’s (Chinese?) J-31 knockoff today on eBay so I guess curiosity got the best of me. The one I ordered was the “gold frame” one……

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Damn! Just when I had two to choose from narrowed-down, I noticed THIS sweet A-1 in UK-sourced calfskin... :cool:

A decent Black Friday sale may just push me over the edge for this over the other ones.. ;) Hell, depending upon just how good the sale is, I may buy two jackets! :) :

View attachment 558824

View attachment 558823

View attachment 558822

View attachment 558821

Damn! Just when I had two to choose from narrowed-down, I noticed THIS sweet A-1 in UK-sourced calfskin... :cool:

A decent Black Friday sale may just push me over the edge for this over the other ones.. ;) Hell, depending upon just how good the sale is, I may buy two jackets! :) :

View attachment 558824

View attachment 558823

View attachment 558822

View attachment 558821

I actually have this jacket in A-2. Cidu made, was clearing out inventory 2 years ago.

This leather is actually really good, smells great too, and it's not a bait switch like other makers in china, where they say it's one hide and they switch to another.

I checked the price, it's about 100usd on Taobao.

Simons came out with 2 different horse hide tannage this year. I kind of want to try one and see. It looks really good in pictures!

Bluechel

Practically Family
I actually have this jacket in A-2. Cidu made, was clearing out inventory 2 years ago.

This leather is actually really good, smells great too, and it's not a bait switch like other makers in china, where they say it's one hide and they switch to another.

I checked the price, it's about 100usd on Taobao.

Simons came out with 2 different horse hide tannage this year. I kind of want to try one and see. It looks really good in pictures!
Can someone post a direct link to Taobao? Sorry, don't know how to get there, willing to take a shot.

Bluechel

Practically Family

[/URL]

View attachment 558824

View attachment 558823

View attachment 558822

View attachment 558821
I'm banking on your feedback for us here...looking forward to seeing if this is a keeper or........................

Edward

Bartender

View attachment 553675

View attachment 553676

View attachment 553677

View attachment 553688

View attachment 553687

View attachment 553682

View attachment 553737

View attachment 553736

Those boots look *great*!

Bluechel

Practically Family

Actually, the Heron / BK Aeronaut knock-off I pictured above came from that particular vendor. It was a number of years ago, but as previously posted, AE's policy of not releasing funds to the seller until the buyer checks off as satisfied AFTER the goods arrive is a pretty good incentive for the sellers to provide accurate pics / info IMO... ;)
This can't be good! Seeing the same jacket much cheaper here.....https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805493864946.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.33.27aa745aqANld9&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40050.362094.0&scm_id=1007.40050.362094.0&scm-url=1007.40050.362094.0&pvid=12ffd08a-2b0d-41f0-a33d-5b3f6fd47c61&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40050.362094.0,pvid:12ffd08a-2b0d-41f0-a33d-5b3f6fd47c61,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8112#1997&pdp_npi=4@dis!USD!312.41!128.09!!!2267.15!!@2101ea8c16997523309862944e0471!12000033991302600!rec!US!2870841309!

Fingers triple crossed now....yikes....what a ride.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

[/URL]

View attachment 553675

View attachment 553676

View attachment 553677

[/URL]

View attachment 553688

View attachment 553687

View attachment 553682

View attachment 553737

View attachment 553736
I have the same boots. If you look at the underside (hairy side), you can see they are heavily processed leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner